Sign in to follow this  
Drumheller

ArmA 3 Editor Tutorials - Building Simple Missions

thanks a lot for a;; of this tutorials but 4 month i try find how if i put 1 enemy group and i put 1 mark red cyrcle 50x50 for example in the enemy area how i can make the mark hide if i kill all enemy unit inside this mark like domination???? and the mark move in new location for the next obgective/?????

I have been working on making up a simple mission and as part of it I would like to have a QRF board a heli and fly to a set down point. I want to set the heli up with waypoints for this, i.e. move, load, move, transport unload etc. However I am failing at the most basic step of getting the heli to move at all. I have tried spawning BLUFOR heli on the ground, giving it MOVE. It just sits there. I have spawned empty heli and a pilot, giving him the command GET IN, followed by MOVE. Nothing. I feel retarded and quite frustrated. The only command that will get the heli to power up and move is SEEK and DESTROY. I'm sure there is something glaring obvious that I am missing, so I apologise if I am bringing every one's collective intelligence down.

It sounds like you're doing it right. Try this:

1. Have the helo start a little away from the team that you want as the qrf. Give the helo a LOAD waypoint to near the group you want to get in. Put an invisible helipad at this spot. Give that group a GET IN waypoint and sync it with the LOAD waypoint.

2. Next, give the helo a TRANSPORT UNLOAD waypoint where you want to unload the team. Put an invisible helipad at this spot also. Give the QRF a GET OUT waypoint at this same spot, and sync it with the TRANSPORT UNLOAD waypoint.

3. At this point, the helo and the QRF team should be un-linked from eachother and you should go back to giving them their own waypoints.

I just tested this all out in the editor and it should work. If you want a trigger to activate these guys, just sync it to those initial LOAD and GET IN waypoints.

Let me know if this works!

thanks a lot for a;; of this tutorials but 4 month i try find how if i put 1 enemy group and i put 1 mark red cyrcle 50x50 for example in the enemy area how i can make the mark hide if i kill all enemy unit inside this mark like domination???? and the mark move in new location for the next obgective/?????

That kind of stuff is more advanced than what I'm going to go over(or what I know).

Thank again for you patience and assistance. Your solution was perfect, I was able to make it work. I don't know what I was doing wrong before. I could not get the helo to move, whether it was spawned on the ground or in the air.

Can you start a mission with a helo on the ground and have it complete the same tasks i.e. take off and move to pick up site?

Thank you again.

Thank you for these videos. I am creating my first mission and they have been very, very useful!

Yes, I'm assuming that you do assign the gear in an external script, and, as far as I know, I think that is the only way to make a unit respawn with the same gear. To assign the gear in an external script, in the Notepad file you made in the Custom Loadout tutorial, just replace all occurrences of "this" with "_this" ("_this" is a reference to the argument passed into the script. I don't think "this" is defined as anything in a script), and save it as whatever.sqf. The whole init. field of whichever unit you want should like:

this execVM "whatever.sqf"
this addEventHandler ["Respawn", { _this select 0 execVM "whatever.sqf"}];

The first line is necessary because the first time a unit spawns is not considered a respawn. Also, here "this" (your unit) is the argument passed to the script whatever.sqf

Hi Spruten,

- 2 problems -

1. The first line this execVM "whatever.sqf" does not work properly. Type script expected nothing is the error msg the editor pops up with.

2. I entered the second line you supplied thinking that i could test it out by killing the unit member once mission started and then they would respawn with the gear i put in my "loadout.sqf" - but it did not.

Has anyone else tried this out ? MacScottie ? Anyone ?

Getting my units to respawn with their custom gear is the last piece I need for my mission to GO LIVE :cool:

I haven't tried it because I use BTC Revive in my missions which respawns you with your gear.

I haven't tried it because I use BTC Revive in my missions which respawns you with your gear.

BTC Revive ? That was not what you mentioned in your tutorials . . .

Can you please explain what it does, where i get it, and how I implement it ?

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:27 ----------

Ahh I got it here > http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148085-BTC-Revive

Hi i made this mission in the editor but i cant get the AI to use NLAW or RPG against kind of vehicle.

Hi i made this mission in the editor but i cant get the AI to use NLAW or RPG against kind of vehicle.

Yeah neither can anyone else for the past 4 years... probably longer. Good luck!

why SP Editor? Usually a good idea to do editing in MP editor unless you specifically want a SP mission..

I have never used the MP editor for my MP missions, whats the difference besides MP preview?

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

The simple way would be to add an other trigger and set it to opfor 'not present' and then in the onact let the marker change colour or change the markerAlpha of the AO marker. And add the new task/objective to the same trigger.

onAct: "markerName" setmarkercolor "ColorGreen";

onAct: "markername" setMarkerAlpha 0;

Edit to add: that if you want to make a Domi like marker setup you can place all the AO markers on the map already and in the init file set all the markers to invisible (the markeralpha). So when you start the mission there will be no markers visible. And then in the game make the marker(s) visible of the active objective(s). Of course you can also all do it through a script that creates the marker in real time, but thats the harder way.

Edited by B00tsy

OP Updated with

Galactic Puss, I'll check it out ;)

Edited by MacScottie

Wow, those are some really great and really helpfull videos, got me a good sense for the editor.

Thank you very much!

Just wanted to thank you for these tutorials. You've managed to make the Editor seem far less intimidating and a lot more fun than I thought it would be. :)

Wow, those are some really great and really helpfull videos, got me a good sense for the editor.

Thank you very much!

:)

Just wanted to thank you for these tutorials. You've managed to make the Editor seem far less intimidating and a lot more fun than I thought it would be. :)

And that's another thing about the editor. Making missions can actually be FUN, which is really cool.

Trying to figure out a problem that you've been struggling with for a couple of days and finally finding the solution gives such a huge sense of accomplishment.

The best feeling, though, is making a mission and playing through it with friends, and everything works correctly, then people comment on how good the mission was at the end.

:)

The best feeling, though, is making a mission and playing through it with friends, and everything works correctly, then people comment on how good the mission was at the end.

And this is what your videos made me to do. :)

Do you plan more videos and what topics will be covered?

Just one question: Do you know how to achieve that a trigger which initiates an ending can only be activated with some tasks as dependency? Struggling on this quite some time.

And this is what your videos made me to do. :)

Just one question: Do you know how to achieve that a trigger which initiates an ending can only be activated with some tasks as dependency? Struggling on this quite some time.

That's not a bad question. I'm sure it's possible. Have you tried syncing the create task module to the triggers that make those tasks complete? So sync the createtask to both? I don't really know. There's probably a fairly simple way to do this through scripting language. You should make a post on this forum asking.

That's not a bad question. I'm sure it's possible. Have you tried syncing the create task module to the triggers that make those tasks complete? So sync the createtask to both? I don't really know. There's probably a fairly simple way to do this through scripting language. You should make a post on this forum asking.

Didnt try syncing it to bought because I thought one would trigger the task but I'll give it a shot.

Yeah, I made my tasks before via scripting and it could be done through taskState. However, this seems not to work with the task modules. Very confusing.

Edit: Just looked into the editor again and wanted to try when I relealized that syncing triggers to the module would not work because I need the End-Trigger to fire when the missions are done. Workaround for this are some simple variables, works fine.

Double trigger for a Create Task Module works fine though. Thanks. :)

Edited by SeiFe

Those Vidoes are great, thats true and so thanks for the Author of the Thread for his effort and the time he put in this. Espacially for beginners this is a great thing. But to completely understand the editor, you should combine them with written ressources as theres so much stuff that cant be explained via a video.

So check the Editing guide from Signature. It provides more than 300 pages of information. Unfortunately it was written once for ArmA 1 but most of the things still do match the most things (things like how to set up a Trigger for Ending Conditions and so on).

For briefings I sorted out exactly how to get the order: Situation, mission, execution, support, signal. You have to group them (not sync) in this order. So, press groups and then - support to signal, execution to signal, mission to signal and the last one is situation to signal. Tried it couple times, it is working.

For briefings I sorted out exactly how to get the order: Situation, mission, execution, support, signal. You have to group them (not sync) in this order. So, press groups and then - support to signal, execution to signal, mission to signal and the last one is situation to signal. Tried it couple times, it is working.

Thanks a ton. I'll try this out and see if it works for me! :)

Hey, thanks for the vids are quite good and useful!!!

Im having the following bug when using modules...:

No entry "config.bin/CfgVehicles/Module_F/ArgumentsBaseUnits/Units/values/Objects.default".

It´s pretty anoying. Do you know why it´s cuased for???? Any solution????