Sign in to follow this  
global688

Helicopter Insertion 'Transport Unload' Not Unloading

I'm playing around with the mission editor. For some reason using (BLUFOR) helo pilot and a helo, the pilot will land but not kick out any units. However on the other side (OPFOR) where you can spawn the helo with the pilots inside already they will land and kick out all units. I could some help figuring out how to use a pilot and a helo to kick out the units embarked on the helo for the WP "Transport Unload".

Have been dealing with that this morning. Finally found the reason:

Transport Unload

The group will move to the waypoint (spatial or object), where any units from other groups who are in cargo spaces of the original group's vehicles will disembark. On a dedicated server, this waypoint does not work if the commander of the group being transported in the back of the vehicle is human. It will only work with A.I. One note, on a dedicated server when using this with A.I. controlled Helicopters. This command only works if there is an A.I. team commander present in the cargo of the vehicle. If there are only human players, the helicopter will not land. It will hover too high in the air to safely disembark.

to get around that issue,

place a invisible or visible helipad and name it drop

then in the transport unload waypoint onact field type - heli land drop

(assuming the helicopter is named heli)

this way the helicopter will land and disembark the troops

to get around that issue,

place a invisible or visible helipad and name it drop

then in the transport unload waypoint onact field type - heli land drop

(assuming the helicopter is named heli)

this way the helicopter will land and disembark the troops

Doesn't the land command make the helo do a full-stop landing?

the transport unload is little buggy. For example i have no problem that ai can unload troops. But if the heli see som enemy it will not land and just hover. Delete the enemy and it will land. probably need a helipad also. Sorry for bad english.

Doesn't the land command make the helo do a full-stop landing?

nope, it will land on the helipad you have named "drop"

---------- Post added at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

the transport unload is little buggy. For example i have no problem that ai can unload troops. But if the heli see som enemy it will not land and just hover. Delete the enemy and it will land. probably need a helipad also. Sorry for bad english.

set the helicopters waypoint to safe and never fire

nope, it will land on the helipad you have named "drop"

To land can mean to do a full-stop landing, so that's not really an answer, just a reiteration of what you said before.

the helicopter lands, does the transport unload then carries on its waypoint path.

if its not moving after the transport unload waypoint, then you havnt given it another waypoint to go to

trust me i use this command alot

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Will try that but did it with careless and nothing happend then.

make sure its on never fire aswell or it will fly around and engage the enemy

seeing as you dont understand me very well, ill do a quick step by step guide

1.place a group of soldiers, and in the init of the squad leader put this " {_x moveincargo AIR1} foreach units group this "

2.place a helicopter and name it " AIR1 "

3. give the helicopter, 2 waypoints. 1st one is transport unload 2nd is a move waypoint to move it away from the landing zone

4. place a helipad and name it " drop "

5. in the transport unload waypoint onact field type " AIR1 land drop " and change it to never fire,safe

6. preview

Edited by ryanbeckey0

Here are some important things to remember about landing a helicopter in Arma.

1. Make sure you place a landing pad object at the location you want to land otherwise the helicopter will go for a nearby pad or not land at all. To place a helipad, make sure you have created the player in the editor then create a new unit. Next in the insert unit window assign side to empty, class to Objects(Signs), and then select either Helipad (invisible) or (Square). Place this on the map where you want the helicopter to land.

2. You should name both the helicopter and the units you want to unload. To do this double click the unit to open the insert unit window and input a name in the name box. For example I named my helicopter "helo" and a solider as "Bob."

3. Next create a waypoint for the helicopter at the landing pad. Select Waypoints click on " helo" the helicopter then on the helipad you created. For this example you can leave the waypoint type as move. In the ON ACT.: box place the following text:

helo land "get out"; 

This tells helo the helicopter to land at this waypoint. Note you can say "get in", "get out", or "land". Get in and Get out causes the helicopter to hover just above the ground so you can load or unload troops. Telling it to land will have the helicopter land and turn off its engines.

4. Now that we have the helicopter in the proper position we need to have Bob get out. To do this add the following into the ON ACT.: box after "helo land "get out";

Bob leaveVehicle helo;

This code should get Bob to leave the helicopter. Keep in mind you will need to adjust the names if you name your helicopter and solider something other then "helo" and "Bob". Creating a group of soldiers and assigning the leader a name seems to work fine for loading and unloading groups. Make sure you have enough room in the vehicle as the base group size for soldiers is pretty large.

The ON ACT.: box should now look like:

helo land "get out"; Bob leaveVehicle helo;

I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this works the best for me.

Here you can find a list of scripting commands https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands

I have found some of these scripting commands work better then others and it takes some trial and error to get the desired results.

Here are some important things to remember about landing a helicopter in Arma.

1. Make sure you place a landing pad object at the location you want to land otherwise the helicopter will go for a nearby pad or not land at all. To place a helipad, make sure you have created the player in the editor then create a new unit. Next in the insert unit window assign side to empty, class to Objects(Signs), and then select either Helipad (invisible) or (Square). Place this on the map where you want the helicopter to land.

2. You should name both the helicopter and the units you want to unload. To do this double click the unit to open the insert unit window and input a name in the name box. For example I named my helicopter "helo" and a solider as "Bob."

3. Next create a waypoint for the helicopter at the landing pad. Select Waypoints click on " helo" the helicopter then on the helipad you created. For this example you can leave the waypoint type as move. In the ON ACT.: box place the following text:

helo land "get out"; 

This tells helo the helicopter to land at this waypoint. Note you can say "get in", "get out", or "land". Get in and Get out causes the helicopter to hover just above the ground so you can load or unload troops. Telling it to land will have the helicopter land and turn off its engines.

4. Now that we have the helicopter in the proper position we need to have Bob get out. To do this add the following into the ON ACT.: box after "helo land "get out";

Bob leaveVehicle helo;

This code should get Bob to leave the helicopter. Keep in mind you will need to adjust the names if you name your helicopter and solider something other then "helo" and "Bob". Creating a group of soldiers and assigning the leader a name seems to work fine for loading and unloading groups. Make sure you have enough room in the vehicle as the base group size for soldiers is pretty large.

The ON ACT.: box should now look like:

helo land "get out"; Bob leaveVehicle helo;

I'm sure there are other ways to do this but this works the best for me.

Here you can find a list of scripting commands https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Scripting_Commands

I have found some of these scripting commands work better then others and it takes some trial and error to get the desired results.

Works perfectly when using an empty helo + blufor pilot thanks!

I'm having issue's with this as well. AGAIN. Already since Operation Flashpoint. Please Bohemia make this work right of the box when ARMA 3 Full comes out. So it actually does what you tell them to do by waypoint. Without any scripting. So it works under any circumstance.

Because since OPF and now in Arma 3 when you get the triggers right and a helipad setup it won't work 100. And that’s pretty annoying when starting a mission and the chopper can't find the LZ.

If i tell the units to "GET out" and sync that with the transport unload. It is preferable it just forces them to do that without any other intervention by script.

Preferable with a extra waypoint that's called "transport unload above water" or just simply a "heli casting" waypoint. And it should be nice if it worked with extraction as well.

Because with every new ARMA game I’m fighting to get a simple insertion or extraction to work. Most of the time after 2 weeks of messing with the waypoints and syncing i I’m able to find a semi reliable way to perform these task. And make myself a template. But if the waypoints are moved around a little bit it sometimes brakes and it won't land anymore or systematically does not choose the correct LZ anymore. And i think a lot of people have this same issue. I wonder how many post have been created for this issue since OPF.

I also wanted to say. You made a great product. Love playing with it.

Greetings,

WinchesterDelta1

Thank you for the link. But most of those commands like { _x disableai "AUTOTARGET"; _x setCombatMode "BLUE"; _x setBehaviour "CARELESS"; _x allowFleeing 0; } foreach crew this; should be avoidable by putting this setcaptive true in the choppers init line.

(P.S. after thinking about some more, i'm not sure if the above is totally true.)

Edited by Winchester Delta_1

I found something new as well. It also depends on view distance if the chopper lands or not. At least in my mission. So disregard what i said above. The disable autotarget and such should be enabled. At the moment it knows that there are enemy's it will go away.

how can I have the heli do this just before approaching the landing?

{this animateDoor [_x, 1]} forEach ["door_L","door_R"];

how can I have the heli do this just before approaching the landing?

Check the distance from your helicopter to the LZ.

if (heli distance LZmark =< 150) then {
};

got it working.

having trouble getting my team to disembark on arrival. I tried giving them a leavevehicle line in the waypoint, didnt work. thought they'd all exit by default, but I always have to order them to get out.

btw cobra, your halo jump scripts are kickass. been using them in the missions im making. love those scripts.

Edited by RTEK

This is what i use to unload troops from helicopters in EOS. You may find it useful

private ["_pad","_getToMarker","_cargoGrp","_vehicle"];
_mkr=(_this select 0);
_veh=(_this select 1);

_debug=false;
				_vehicle = _veh select 0;
				_grp = _veh select 2;					
				_cargoGrp= _veh select 3;
_pos = [_mkr,false] call SHK_pos;									
_pad = createVehicle ["Land_HelipadEmpty_F", _pos, [], 0, "NONE"]; 

{_x allowFleeing 0} forEach units _grp;		
{_x allowFleeing 0} forEach units _cargoGrp;

_wp1 = _grp addWaypoint [_pos, 0];  
_wp1 setWaypointSpeed "FULL";  
_wp1 setWaypointType "UNLOAD";
_wp1 setWaypointStatements ["true", "(vehicle this) LAND 'GET IN';"]; 

waituntil {_vehicle distance _pad < 30};
	_cargoGrp leaveVehicle _vehicle;	

waitUntil{sleep 0.2; {_x in _vehicle} count units _cargoGrp == 0};				
					if (_debug) then {hint "Transport unloaded";};	

_wp2 = _grp addWaypoint [[0,0,0], 0];  
_wp2 setWaypointSpeed "FULL";  
_wp2 setWaypointType "MOVE";
_wp2 setWaypointStatements ["true", "{deleteVehicle _x} forEach crew (vehicle this) + [vehicle this];"];  

deletevehicle _pad;

waituntil {_vehicle distance _pad < 30}; _cargoGrp leaveVehicle _vehicle; waitUntil{sleep 0.2; {_x in _vehicle} count units _cargoGrp == 0}; if (_debug) then {hint "Transport unloaded";};

Would I put this into the onact of the transport unload heli waypoint?

I wouldnt put that into a scripted waypoint, plus I dont think it would work. Im not up to speed with all these new scripting commands yet that have come out in the last 2 or 3 months. I do have an exctraction/insertion script in my signature that you might find useful.