Sign in to follow this  
SAMstudios-3Dartist

Love the new AI firefights

I love the new AI firefights. Now it's really a challenge. I've screwed up the enemy's skill to 1.0 and my own to 1.0 and enabled super AI. Firefights up to 800-1000 m distance is so much better than ARMA2. And their aggression is wonderful feeling relly exposed and you die quite often. Anyone else agree or do people think the new AI is too difficult?

Edited by Zsalheden

Actually I find 0.7 AI (a minimum setting for Veteran) to be a little too precise and I'm playing with AI set to 0.85 in ArmA2

As far as I understand this is because AI can finally manage recoil well (as opposed to ArmA2 where they fired at a sky) so BIS needs to tone its precision down a bit

Personally I prefer the AI to have good tactics, but lower aiming accuracy. That way, I'm constantly struggling but not actually kicked out of the scenario :)

This brings up an interesting debate and question on the nature of these games. Arma will allow you to set it to as hard as possible or as easy as possible. Personally, I have been choosing neither lately more than anything. I just wander around driving boats or vehicles and imagining what it would be like if more games adopted the kind of realism that Arma has.

I easily prefer my old ai pbo mix for fire-fights, much more realistic..

I love the difficulty of ai and it's aggressiveness, but as for me it has insane accuracy at larger distances, like escape stratis is a good example. Me and a buddy ended up being shot at 800 meters constantly, if not our bots who have the same accuracy, we would always end up dying at same places. I think it has to be toned down a bit, it is very good AI can spot you at such distances but it's annoying, it is so accurate.

I love that you can be spoted att 800 m away and be shoot at. But yes you have right att that distace the accuracy should be lower at that distace for normal rifles. the have sniper skills att that distance.

I think the key here is "adjustable"

There is no one, or two or three presets that will cover everyone's needs because everyone needs something slightly different. It depends on what you are looking for. Some players need to fight "Skynet's Kommando Elite", others need (or simply want) "Colonel Klink's marching band".

That's why it's fantastic that ArmA 3 finally adds refined adjustment sliders to the AI Skill levels instead of relying on 4 blanket presets like Arma 1 &2 did.

For me, I want the AI skillful enough to make me honestly believe they can kill me any time they want.... I just don't want them consistently demonstrating that they can kill me any time they want, 100% of the time. I want to be under fire more often then under ground (read: dead).

Edited by Spamurai

I'm struggling with them honestly, I have them set on .45 and die rather often. I have pretty (very) bad vision so I often have trouble locating them at most distances (the AI's call outs don't help either) I didn't have nearly as much trouble in a2 as I'm having in a3...

I agree the aggressiveness of the AI is a lot,lot better but it is a little to good I think.

I set it way down to recruit and they were still getting me with one shot while I was running from 800+m.

Fair enough let them spot you from that distance and maybe let them try to catch,flank you or even start to engage from that distance but first shot kills from that kind of distance every time with normal rifles seems a little much IMO.

I don't want it dumbed down just a little more easy going to give a fair fight.

Mick.

I love the new AI firefights. Now it's really a challenge. I've screwed up the enemy's skill to 1.0 and my own to 1.0 and enabled super AI. Firefights up to 800-1000 m distance is so much better than ARMA2.

To me 800-1000m is not a firefight in the real world - its more like sniper-countersniper.

I haven't experienced any firefights 800 metres plus with ai. I have however had 400-500m firefights and I am quite happy to see ai engaging at that distance. Their accuracy needs to be tweaked though. Especially when they are under fire. They shouldn't be returning carefully aimed shots at that point.

Just remember, folks, this isn't BF3 or COD - no "pea shooters" or "Pellet Guns" in this game. :) One shot - one kill (or severely injured). (Side note: Yes, a head shot in BF3 will kill someone, but yet they can take 5 bullets to the body and still Rambo Around the Map).

If you have ever played the Singleplayer on BF3 or COD, it is an arcade. I could get shot 4 times....hide behind a wall...wait.... regenerate...then live on to fight again in a matter of seconds. I have a feeling those that come over from BF3 or COD are going to be frustrated in two ways: 1) The "Realism" is a beeotch. 2) Huge learning curve. In order to play ArmA, you have to get that "Arcade Mentality" out of your head.

What makes ArmA 3 so awesome is the "Game Play"...... once you get past the learning curve, the game is a real jewel.

To me 800-1000m is not a firefight in the real world - its more like sniper-countersniper.

yes i can agree on that. I am a soldier myself and shoot or see a enemy good would at that distance would probably be near impossible without a scope. But in the game i think 4-500 m should be a good point.

On non-lagged servers AI uses GL somewhat effectively.

They also tend to flank now: I was in a sniper sit stance on a hill, happily engaging a compound with 10-13 inf in it from about 550-600m in a very concealed position, when a group of 3 broke off & made their way into the trees & on the way uphill - I saw them briefly as they were leaving the base, but had other targets to engage & ammo was running low anyway. Well, 30 seconds later I found myself with a bullet in my head from my sharp right.

They went all the way to the hill to end up within 150m of my location & rapidly I might add.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

J In order to play ArmA, you have to get that "Arcade Mentality" out of your head.

What makes ArmA 3 so awesome is the "Game Play"...... once you get past the learning curve, the game is a real jewel.

Signed that! Not only the game itself but even various missions do require to adapt, from various TDM missions, to more complex like domination or warfare. Until you got familiar with all of them, takes reaaaaly time, but as soon you know the basics, it's getting hellish interesting! :)

---------- Post added at 20:43 ---------- Previous post was at 20:36 ----------

On non-lagged servers AI uses GL somewhat effectively.

They also tend to flank now: I was in a sniper sit stance on a hill, happily engaging a compound with 10-13 inf in it from about 550-600m in a very concealed position, when a group of 3 broke off & made their way into the trees & on the way uphill - I saw them briefly as they were leaving the base, but had other targets to engage & ammo was running low anyway. Well, 30 seconds later I found myself with a bullet in my head from my sharp right.

They went all the way to the hill to end up within 150m of my location & rapidly I might add.

lol yeah, you can write stories about ai now. I made a simple mission, set a patrol route in a city, and wanted to test new traps arma 3 has to offer, claymore and stuff, i knew what way the going to go and as soon as 1 of them did vent in to my trap, other did split around. Some of team stayed nearby and were suppressing me with fire, i saw few going to flank me from left and others from right. I thought, it'll be a good idea to escape the city and snipe them from the field. Once i managed to breach out from the city, was sneaking behind a wall at city border, and someone started to shoot me, i couldn't recognize at first where the shots are from and i was killed, then the camera did show someone who did pursue me from the city and flanked me from the fields. Now that was an really awesome experience, where u say, wow man!

Arma is the only one game, where making a simple mission, can end to something which can surprise you a lot. :)

Edited by NeuroFunker

I enjoy fighting ai now but I agree the accuracy does need to be turned down abit. Does any one know if by turning down the ai skill make them use less tactics and what not, or does it only turn down accuracy?

You can adjust ai accuracy in the player config file found in my documents. But i didn't see any difference. They were still instant headshotting me from 300 meters.

I'm struggling with them honestly, I have them set on .45 and die rather often. I have pretty (very) bad vision so I often have trouble locating them at most distances (the AI's call outs don't help either) I didn't have nearly as much trouble in a2 as I'm having in a3...

You may have already done this, but I suggest going in to the graphics settings and disabling or lowering some of the post-processing. Things like FXAA and DoF tend to make it very hard for me to spot enemies.

EDIT: I know it's two days late, but I just realized SMAA makes Arma III blurry and FXAA is crips. I was assuming FXAA was the blurry one (from my experiences in other titles). So, replace FXAA with SMAA in my above post.

Edited by Fuse

i actually reduced the AI precision manually down to 0.1 (yea seriously) in my profile and am getting pretty good results much like with AI mods in arma 2. now they still can spot you very far away but those engagements are more pot shots and suppression. close up they still are able to one shot you in the head. you guys should try it. 0.3 was suggested in some thread but i still felt they were still aiming inhumanly over long distances so i reduced it even more. i feel like as a player you can't hit stuff as easy over long distance like in arma 2 (which i like). so the default AI be able to easily do it with their first shot over a long distance when you just have half of your head peaking out over a rock just didn't seem right to me.

and of course i used the same values for both sides. it's a gamble now;)

edit: the profile files is located where your usermissions are. "documents -> arma 3 otherprofiles" (something like that)

Edited by Bad Benson

I just got done having to chase a couple AI making their way through houses. One decided to stop, go prone, and camp the door way. The next one tried to out run me before I finally caught him in a back bedroom.

Great AI improvements BI!

Just have to say that the feel I get in even the most basic squad on squad firefight in a town is the feeling I've been chasing in all the OFP's/Arma's since inception. Yes maybe they didn't implement a dedicated sub-routine for AI to use buildings/doors/windows the way i dreamt but make no mistake about it -this is the best it's been.

From the extremely detailed micro terrain, to the new stances (great for windows), to the shattering glass, to the ease and fluidity of movement, to a new and increasingly impressive AI to the interiors themselves - I'm lovin it!!!

No matter how many AI mods I mashed into Arma2, I could never create this feel but always a hackeyed attempt at CQB that generally left me feeling claustrophobic, impotent and frustrated -even when it was working properly. BI, you guys have outdone yourselves and I seriously can't believe this is just the Alpha as i would play out these firefights indefinitely if I hadn't known more was coming.

PS: PvP rocks as well.

Yes, finally good firefight with the robots xddd. love it the new AI.

Please not change that.

i actually reduced the AI precision manually down to 0.1 (yea seriously)

Yup, that seems to yield best results for now :)