Sign in to follow this  
Babur

Mod/ Addon Idea Bayonets

This is an idea I’m sure many people have had since the Arma series first began, I was wondering whether there was any way in which preferably a bayonet but even a simple melee attack could be added for those moments when closing with the enemy is necessary, or the ammo has run dry, or even during a silent attack when you don’t want the enemy to know where you are.

I mean countless armies deploy and use Bayonets, the British army, the Americans I believe still do, the Russians, Iranians I mean by golly even the French have bayonets for when there are not running. :)

Unfortunately I’m no Modder and I know a lot of people are busy but even a bayonet as effective and simple as the one in I44 would be better than nothing.

As for realism, if Bayonets are still used today I’m sure in 2035 they will still be issued and used.

The US doesn't use Bayonets anymore, don't train, don't issue, I think the USMC might train but from the few Marine 03's I am friends with never havn't been issued one for a long time.. The Army stopped training/ issue back in 08ish...

The British military used the bayonet in combat during the Falklands War of 82, 2003 Gulf War and have fixed bayonets in Afghanistan (Although not sure if any confirmed kills with it). I guess the main issue is how to get the animation and binding to a key working. It should be something quick, not something attached to a menu.

The British military used the bayonet in combat during the Falklands War of 82, 2003 Gulf War and have fixed bayonets in Afghanistan (Although not sure if any confirmed kills with it). I guess the main issue is how to get the animation and binding to a key working. It should be something quick, not something attached to a menu.

There was in Basra in '03, UK troops Bayonet charged a group of insurgents, though it only proved effective as it worked as a shock tactic and caused some of the poorly trained insurgents to flee.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0bd_1249524865 (Article/Report, not a Video)

Lieutenant James Adamson killed a Taliban fighter in 2009 with a bayonet after he ran out of ammo. Hand to hand combat is something arma's completely neglected in the past probably because of this misconception that battles are no longer thought at touching distance when infact this really is not the case.

How many cases of Hand to Hand Combat have you heard about from Afghanistan? Because I sure know that we were never shot at under 100meters, let alone 10meters or less... I guess maybe I just wasn't high speed enough living on a COB outside J-Bad... my bad I think all the Hand to Hand stuff took place in Camp Leatherneck's AO....

For Night raid's yes we engaged closer than 10meters, but we always had ammo... and lots of it... Hell look even Acting Sgt Pun used a metal tripod before thinking about using his Kurki... which he forgot that day...

It was perfectly possible back in OFP, just wasn't particularly MP friendly and we never really found a way (or the will) to fix/reimplement them in ArmA and ArmA 2. With the possibility of having bayonets as an attachment through the weapon modification systen, better MP code and more scripting possibilities, I should think we'll take a stab at it (hurrhurrr) once more.

Dudes, for Christs sake, of course we trained with them. Yes they still issue them and we play around with them... a lot. We have an inordinate amount of time with our hands and if it's not spent doing something stupid, it's training or mcfu. But when you get really bored, then you see if you can really stab through a sapi. Our problems turned out to be the Marines that stabbed each other from playing around too much.

That said, there is still drills and techniques devoted to using the bayonet and a lot of it was learned in our off time. Everyone wanted to be the guy to get the knife kill. :/

Please use the addon request thread for addon ideas. It's in the stickies. Thank you.