Sign in to follow this  
Jester983

Best tom clancy book

I just finished reading Rainbow Six and i got the idea of having a poll on here to see what you guys thought was the best book hes written.

You missed Red Storm Rising, Without Remorse, Debt of Honor and Executive Orders biggrin.gif

I like most of them...though lately he's been a little preachy.

I voted for Rainbow Six because it's a John Clark book smile.gif

Sorry guys. But plz note that i did put Other (think i forgot some) smile.gif

I voted Rainbow Six cause i like counter Terroism. I just liked the idea of Rainbow and the story behind it. I only wish it was real...

I liked Executive Orders... but for me, Tom Clancy is literary popcorn. Its good as a snack, but it doesnt make a meal

Definatly Red Storm Rising. I love the fictional WWIII. It wasn't part of the Jack Ryan series, but the best one really. Behind that I have to go with Without Remorse.

COLINMAN

Without Remorse

about a man going around killing drug dealers and pimps..cant get better :-)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rwryne @ July 13 2002,07:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Without Remorse

about a man going around killing drug dealers and pimps..cant get better :-)<span id='postcolor'>

You'd enjoy Stephen Hunter's books and his Bob the Nailer character.

Debt of Honour, or Red Storm Rising (reading for the 14th time atm tounge.gif ) but then each one of them is excelent...dont like the Op Center series though

Without Remorse.

With Red Storm Rising a close second.

I think they considered making a film about Without Remorse, but it got canned. Just as well, Kelly/Clark was far too bad ass to be portrayed in film. Snuff/Executions/Whore slaying/Wholesome battles/and torturing some poor bastard in a decompression chamber.

Ouch...

I like the Frederick Forsyth book "fist of god" (gulf war) better than any Clancy book I have read so far. It seems to be more realistic...

I prefer Sven Hassel but Tom's books are fun smile.gif

What was your favorite of his books placebo? I mean of tom's books.

Hmm well the titles don't mean too much to me, I liked the one where Jack became President after the plane crash, I liked the one where errr it was the CIA dude just after he got out of the Nam and got hooked up with that girl and killed drug dealers, rather vague I know but I've read like 1-2 books a week for the last 17 years or so and things tend to get a smidge jumbled smile.gif

The only Tom clancy noval i read was Rainbow 6, but i got borred after the 4 chapters. confused.gif But i do like Armored CAV though. smile.gif

The Cardinal of the Kremlin is my favourite; a well-written classic spy novel.

Red October is classic, but full of technical errors regarding submarines and sonar. I guess that I'm a bit picky when it comes to submarines wink.gif

Executive Orders is fun too since it is pure shameless propaganda smile.gif

The Bear & the Dragon is the worst in the Ryan series IMO, very boring, racist towards the Chinese and generally lame.

For me it's a tie between Clear and Present Danger and Red Storm Rising. They both have the most action of Clancy's books. The Bear and the Dragon could have been so much better if they had just put in some action in the first 700 pages. The last couple hundred were as good as Red Storm Rising. Rainbow Six could have been better if it wasn't so corny. I swear, if I heard the phrase "pure vanilla" again I was gonna puke. The action was awesome, though.

I enjoy reading Clancy but IMO he cannot compare to people like Frederick Forsythe, John Le Carre, and my personal fave of the genre Robert Ludlum smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ July 13 2002,19:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm well the titles don't mean too much to me, I liked the one where Jack became President after the plane crash, I liked the one where errr it was the CIA dude just after he got out of the Nam and got hooked up with that girl and killed drug dealers, rather vague I know but I've read like 1-2 books a week for the last 17 years or so and things tend to get a smidge jumbled smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

that would be "Executive Order" and the next one would be "Without Remorse"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ July 13 2002,23:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">that would be "Executive Order" and the next one would be "Without Remorse"<span id='postcolor'>

Someone knows their clancy books. tounge.gif

Okay what do you guys think i should read next. Im looking for a tom clancy book with Clark and Chavez. Any suggestions?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ July 14 2002,07:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ July 13 2002,23:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">that would be "Executive Order" and the next one would be "Without Remorse"<span id='postcolor'>

Someone knows their clancy books. tounge.gif

Okay what do you guys think i should read next. Im looking for a tom clancy book with Clark and Chavez. Any suggestions?<span id='postcolor'>

Clear and Present Danger.

First book with Chavez and Clark.

I'd like to see Clancy find a GOOD author and spin off the Rainbow Six franchise into a series like say, Netforce or Ops Center.

biggrin.gif

Denoir- "Red October is classic, but full of technical errors regarding submarines and sonar. I guess that I'm a bit picky when it comes to submarines"

seems like almost all of the Clancy books ive read are full of either minor or major errors. Im not quite sure why hes still so popular, he wrote a few good books and a lot of fairly middling to crap ones in my opinion. Ok thats a bit harsh..

his books have a few great/kick ass moments and a lot of sub standard waffle.

that said i dont have a favourite book , only favourite parts, like the bit where the Spetznaz guy eludes a team who surround his trailer in the desert (net force?)

a few sniping action bits from Rainbow 6 ( too long/repepitive)

etc

I recommend James Clavell- 'Shogun' for some Japanese warrior high jinx , 'Whirlwind'-Iran 1979, John le Carre (did he write 'the Tailor of Panama'? i think so) 'an ickle town in Germany',oh lots of people

Harry Turtledove 'World War in the balance' for some great sci-fi alternative history WW2 action

Hammers slammers series (i read when i was about 10)

heck, read 'Dune' read 'Lord of Rings' (if you havent read them)  before you read

Tom Clancys latest outing

read the bible

or an atlas or a dictionary

(ok again im being harsh ,sorry Tom you poor millionaire)

Like I said, his books can be a fun read, but take em with just a grain of salt, and skip the boring parts. Thats why I like the movies based on his books so much. they cut out all the fat smile.gif