Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Choppers now affect particles :)

Anyone notice that particles can be affected by choppers now? A nice new feature IMO. I threw a smoke grenade and used a chopper to disperse it around. I haven't tried other particles yet (like smoke from wrecks etc) but I'm going to assume they'll react the same.

I wonder what other new properties particles have :)

Well, it used to be the case that once a particle was floated off, it was essentially unchangeable in it's movement (wind notwithstanding). Now it seems that it can be altered with user input :) even if that user input is a helicopter :)

If particles have other new properties I'd be interested in reading about them. I wonder if they're capable of reacting to geometry for example, unlikely but that's the angle I'm looking for. Maybe PhysX could be employed for certain particles, I'm thinking here about tear-gas grenades in buildings etc.

If particles have other new properties I'd be interested in reading about them. I wonder if they're capable of reacting to geometry for example, unlikely but that's the angle I'm looking for.

At a high performance cost, but could be done with Nvidia's GPUs if BIS wants to pursuit that for the retail game & TWIMTBP.

Smoke grenades also work quite nicely in underwater :)

Smoke grenades also work quite nicely in underwater :)

Hmmm... sounds like a cue for an underwater blood addon ;)

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

I'd love to see vortexes in smokes etc that would be amazing

I think the effectors will be grossly simplistic - simple moving away from the source. Toroid-shaped effectors will be expensive :)

Haven't thought of that to be honest but; yes please ;)

If particles have other new properties I'd be interested in reading about them. I wonder if they're capable of reacting to geometry for example, unlikely but that's the angle I'm looking for. Maybe PhysX could be employed for certain particles, I'm thinking here about tear-gas grenades in buildings etc.

Particles aren't capable of reacting to geometry (cars, houses, etc.) but they can collide with the ground in A3. You can see it in vehicle explosions, mine explosions, etc. :)

Particles aren't capable of reacting to geometry (cars, houses, etc.) but they can collide with the ground in A3. You can see it in vehicle explosions, mine explosions, etc. :)

Have to say the muzzle flashes (esp the sparks from certain weapons), vehicle explosions/flash-detonation, smoke grenades & bullet dust kick-up are outstanding - very believable. Heat shimmer/distortion that is produced by vehicle engines is also great, a lot better than the one in Op Arrowhead, if that counts as particle effect. :)

Smoke from explosions needs work, tho. :p

Yeah. I miss the big towers of smoke from Arma 2. I loved those. They stayed around for a lot longer too. Not sure how realistic they were but they were definitely pretty...in that chaos sort of way.

Looking forward to checking out the game, wanna get back into my effects stuff. :)

I think I can speak for everyone on this forum when I say we would all love to see some more effects work from you. I miss DMarkwick's stuff too.

Optical, if you made content for Arma 3 I would be so happy! You are amazing at what you do. And this year BIS has really given you some great features to work with, the standard effects this year are really top notch compared with previous titles.

Im praying for Blastcore for ArmA 3, I count especially for extending the effects + more realistic smoke chimneys on the sky.

I would like to see a preset in A3 editor that would allow us to change air pressure, air humidity. That would affect smoke particles, instead of skys chimneys, you could get smoke 3-4 (or lower) meters above the ground that would surround the area.

Have to say the muzzle flashes (esp the sparks from certain weapons), vehicle explosions/flash-detonation, smoke grenades & bullet dust kick-up are outstanding - very believable. Heat shimmer/distortion that is produced by vehicle engines is also great, a lot better than the one in Op Arrowhead, if that counts as particle effect. :)

Well, the muzzle flashes aren't particles. Heat effects produced by vehicle engines and even the cases produced by (vehicle mounted) guns are particles. There is a lot of work in front of us, I know it. Anyway, thank you.

I prepare documentation about new possibilities in particle effects soon.

I think the choppers with machine guns should kick up more dust in game. I also need to check the vehicles BMG 50 fire on buildings but, again, ACE had done it in such nice way back in arma 2.

Skip to 1:30 (also notice the nice sounds from inside the heli itself, in some videos the casing rattle can be heard too :) )

I think the effectors will be grossly simplistic - simple moving away from the source. Toroid-shaped effectors will be expensive :)

You had me at "toroid-shaped effectors." You had me... at... "toroid." ;)

You had me at "toroid-shaped effectors." You had me... at... "toroid." ;)

Think Doughnuts, mmmmmmmm doohhhnuuuts. :)