Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Jonno

Choppers - Too floaty/easy

Love the game.. But, simply put, the choppers seem way too easy to fly. Almost like gravity is reduced and the closer you get to the ground an opposite force pulls you away from it. doesnt feel realistic enough

Exactly. It feels very close to BF3, it should be more or harder then Arma 2.

I have heard this said by many players, I have played Arma games since 2009 and have to fly anything in game. Many said they are hoping that this changes as they patch over time, and will be "better" by finial release. Also the ground vehicles seem off also, so maybe the devs have plans to address all these issues. If you haven't I would suggest putting some thing in the bug tracker where others could vote on this to get some ones attention?

not harder but more realistic. i hope they will introduce TOH flight model as soon as possible. btw arma 3 is on the same engine as TOH (take on helicopters)

also would like to see options for complexity of helicopters model.

personally i prefer expert flight model due comfort it provide, no stupid floating and overal feeling of flying.

Love the game.. But, simply put, the choppers seem way too easy to fly. Almost like gravity is reduced and the closer you get to the ground an opposite force pulls you away from it. doesnt feel realistic enough

That's the way it is with helicopters - the ground-cushioning effect. It's a real effect. However, I agree the helicopter flight model does not feel right - maybe it's in an arcade simple flight mode. I read somewhere that the ToH FM will be applied at some point.

bullshitpost so i can post a link

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 ----------

27e22b4c46e74ff89dc298c.png

top left: airflow in free air.

top right: Hovering above ground, and the reason you slightly ascend while your rotor rotates at a neutral speed. Blue = wind, Red is pushing force

Bottom: Moving forward hovering slightly above land. Blue is wind, Red is pushing force, orange is gravity.

The front part of the heli is recieving alot of force from the wind pushing back up. The back of the heli does not, therefore lowers due to gravity. thismakes your nose pitch up.

seemed common sense to me...

BIS just needs to add Take On flight model. Flying choppers in ArmA3 is still not as easy as in typical arcade shooters - but clearly there are many people (incl. me) who want to play as a pilot and want it to be interesting, something more than just pressing W to move and clicking auto-hover to stop.

I like the way the helis fly near the surface and at low speeds, it's awesome and seems familiar a bit to TOH, but at high speeds it's as if they are not decelerating fast enough. Anyway, I like this new model :). Remember easier is not always less realistic :P. Oh and I have joystick fyi.

Remember the more logic you add around handling like that the more cpu cycles it will eat up on your pc. Not saying that it can't get better, it can get a lot better, but don't expect flight simulator level dynamics.

agreed. it's almost fail safe now. feels flat. but i think it's just not done yet. same as the car handling. it's just the first stage of implementation.

I guess the TOH model is lacking?

indeed my good sir, the lack of TOH FM is disturbing.

Guys, fly a Helicopter in a flightsim like X-Plane and come back. Flying in Arma can be done by a Grashopper with one brain cell. Yes, Arma is not a Flightsim, but this really is too easy.

It feels very close to BF3

no it doesnt.

anyway, the flight model could be better but it's sufficient. The easiest way to improve flying helo's is make them able decend more quickly.

I figured the way you can just slam your chopper to the ground at high speed without dying kind of clarified that the flight model is not finalised yet.

A hovering rotorcraft is floaty? Ya don't say?

did you atleast tried more or less serious flight sims like DCS black shark X-plane or FSX or atleast TOH?

if not, please try it out or eather stop trolling

did you atleast tried more or less serious flight sims like DCS black shark X-plane or FSX or atleast TOH?

if not, please try it out or eather stop trolling

I have X-Plane 10 - and yes, Helicopters are tough to fly. With that said, remember - X-Plane 10 is a "Flying Simulator" with an emphasis on flying, while ArmA 3 is a "Military Simulator" with an emphasis on infantry. If the Air Vehicles in ArmA were as tough to fly as those in X-Plane 10, we would have a lot more "Spartan Trail" memorials on the Island :) So, BIS has made the Air Vehicles easier to fly so that we don't have to go to "Real" flight school....... real flying is hard enough, the last thing we need in this game is TOTAL realism on the Air Vehicles - it would take 100's of hours to master them.

Somewhat agree, though the flightmodel, at least for the MH9/AH9, has been improved dramatically over all prev ArmA games - at long last you can strafe at speeds of 70-100 km/h!

The floaty effect is somewhat exaggerated, because even with collective down I have trouble losing altitude. This is the only issue that I, and probably others in this thread, have with helos in A3A.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I'm personally anxiously awaiting the ToH FM and praying that it's the default as was stated it would be in the forums back in June I think and they haven't flip flopped on that. At the moment, flying is more a chore although at least there is a working analogue collective, even if it operates like raising a invisible floor. After flying ToH's FM, A2's really isn't acceptable to me and if the only choice, I simply would choose not to fly unless absolutely forced too. Would be a shame as I'm a flight sim guy and I love love love flying the helis in ToH, which while still a arcade game has enough siminess and feels like one would expect a helicopter to fly to be interesting in it's own right. Not taking to much from the alpha but the apparent contemplation on the flip-flop on the default models having the ToH Model has me really worried as heli's are one of my favorite parts of this world. Will wait and see how it develops.

Also, hi everyone;)

because even with collective down I have trouble losing altitude.

yeah, it's very slow.

I really appreciate the the collective is more sensitive than arma 2 , still arcade style for the moment , waiting ToH physics..( i hope for ground effect , vortex ring , ecc...).i woulbe not like BS2 but is not a pure flight sim arma .It woul be great DCS+Arma world ! Still fun...hope you enjoy the trip !

Q_MqcCz44As