Sign in to follow this  
Rypticus

Looking for help installing a dedcated linux arma2 server

Hello, I am trying to install an Arma2 server on my Linux server "centos" I found some documentation on these forums on these forums however I don't know Linux that well. Are we allowed to ask for anyone that is "for hire" to install a server? If not can anyone just help me? Either way is fine for me.

I am in a clan and they already have some custom missions as well as they use many of the mods.

I am assuming the mods are all on the client side. Is this correct?

How about the custom missions? will they have to be on the server? if so how would transfer them?

Thanks in advance!!!

I'm not expert in CentOS, but this applies to all Nix-distros:

You upload your whole ArmA 2 dir (with subs) to your server, including any mods and missions you wanna use.

Basically you create a arma2 user on your server, upload the whole thing (game and mods) to arma2 user home dir, download latest nix server and start installing.

A few things to consider before you even start:

Be sure you have all the required libs and compilers before you start. This can differ from distro to distro.

All file and folder names most be in lowercase on a server, this is done by the tolower command found in nix server files. Do not use spaces in file/folder names either, use e.g. _ instead.

Edit/adjust server config files to fit your server, paths/bandwith/mods and all other parameters you'll edit. This is the fun nightmare :)

Your custom missions normally goes to mpmission folder. There are several ways to tweak this if you wanna use different mods on your server, so you don't load ACE missions in e.g. CWR2 mod and vice versa.

Overlord

Thanks very much for your reply Overlord. This information sure does help a lot however I am still afraid. I went ahead and rented a server with it already installed for a few months however I still want to get it on my Linux server cause it would be so much cheaper for me.

When you said

You upload your whole Arma 2 dir (with subs) to your server, including any mods and missions you wanna use.

That would be both Arma2 and Arrowhead correct?

download latest nix server and start installing.
What do you mean by "nix server"?

When you said

That would be both Arma2 and Arrowhead correct?

Yes, some GB ain't it ;)

What do you mean by "nix server"?

Short for Linux server...

Thank you again for your reply Overlord. I have made a lot of progress however I still have a lot more to learn. I am wanting to host the "Takistian life revolution" mission on my rented server. Where exactly do I found the server client download for this mission? Is there a website where you can download all non-copyrighted missions?

Thanks again for your help.

You'll download the server binary here, that's in the sticky section of this sub-forum.

I don't know where you find spesific missions, but you could try here, the ARMA 2 & OA - USER MISSIONS sub-forum. You might also find missions at armaholic.com And I guess you don't need two threads about the same question, do you?

:)

Yeh I found the missions over at armaholic. I was able to download that file to my sever however I am missing many files. Here is a list of files i am missing.

I these are files that I have on the game server I rented vs my server

directx

Keys

dll

many config files

mission

mpmission

many readme files

Are these all files I have to create myself?

Again thank you for all your help. So far you are the only person who has taken the time to help me out. I really appreciate it. I do have an linux expert that is helping me however he has never installed a game server before. If I could fine all the correct documentation for him I am sure he will be able to do it very easily.

The best way to install a server is to start with a vanilla server (no extra mods/addons). When you have this one up and running, you can start adding mods/addons to your server.

I don't think you miss any file at all, a Linux server uses only game data which you already have on your gaming computer. And a Linux server never miss directx or any ddl file cause Linux don't use those. It's M$ only.

I don't know what's needed on Revolution server, but if if it require any dll or dx on server, it's not compatible with Linux.

To this day it's only one way to transfer your server game data, you have to upload your whole arma2 directory (with subfolders).... (you can delete any exe or dll file). Or you can rent a ArmA2 server, which is pre-configured for vanilla game.

The server files itself is 32 bit only, but don't worry, it works like charm on 64 bits system.

Okay I think you may be under the impression I am using a home pc for a server. I am actually using a vps I rent from myhosting.com. I download the same tar file you linked. Do I now have to upload both Arma and Arma2 to my server as well?

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 14:51 ----------

I think you are you saying I not only need to install that tar file but also the game on my server? For some reason I was under the impression I only needed that one tar file.

---------- Post added at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

Okay so I am quite sure I need to upload the entire 7-8GB arma2arrowhead folder to my vps. If this is correct is there a place I can download these files from instead of uploading from my pc? As it will take me 10-20 hours to upload a file this big. That is if I only need arma2arrowhead and not arma as well. It would be so much faster if I could download the file from my vps instead of uploading from my home pc however I dont know anywhere that host this file.

Upload your ArmA2 directory to your server, as well as the contents of the Linux Dedicated Server archive. No need to change anything else, simply run the install thats in the Dedicated Server archive. The install will remove the windows garbage, change all filenames to lower case and extract the Linux Server. start the server with ./server to create the basic config file and the profile, the servers profile will be created in \player directory, you can edit it to change difficulty settings. Configure arma2server with a text editor, to run your server.

WIKI

...Syn...

Thank you so much VisceralSyn, Would you happen to know any website that host this file? I can upload it from my pc however its going to take me ages as my upload speed is so slow.

unless your host has a DVD on site, you'll be uploading it like everyone else has to. When updates are released, they aren't delta's, you actually haveto upload the updated directory again.

Some Game Hosting companies do handle this part, by having a DVD on site. You would then merely be configuring it.

sorry about the double post. I did not think my previous one went though.

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

ah okay, I will upload it then. My vps is not from a game hosting company. Anyway this information is so very helpful. I really appreciate your time.

Edited by Rypticus
trying to delted double post

Okay what about the mods that require both arma2 and arrowhead. Does that means the server has to have both arma2 and arrowhead too?

Yes, create a directory in the arma 2 directory, named expansion. Upload your windows OA directory contents to it.

...Syn...

Okay I have all the files uploaded,installed, process is running on my server. However My server is not showing up in the game browser. I will paste you my sever.cfg file.

Here is the command like I am using. -server -nosplash -cpuCount=2 -config=server.cfg -port=2302

Any idea why it would not be showing up in the game browser?

// ExecuteGaming.com ArmA 2 OA Server Config

// comments are written with "//" in front of them.

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname="=SWL-PC"; // The name of the server that shall be displayed in the public server list

password="cake"; // Password for joining, eg connecting to the server

passwordAdmin="Fjr$%895%(5d4f"; // Password to become server admin. When you're in Arma MP and connected to the server, type '#login xyz'

reportingIP="arma2pc.master.gamespy.com"; // This is the default setting. If you change this, your server might not turn up in the public list. Leave empty for private servers

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[]={

"", "", "",

"Welcome to =21st= US Army Rangers",

"test",

"",

""

};

motdInterval=5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

kickDuplicate=1; // Each ArmA version has its own ID. If kickDuplicate is set to 1, a player will be kicked when he joins a server where another player with the same ID is playing.

verifySignatures=0; // Verifies the players files by checking them with the .bisign signatures. Works properly from 1.08 on

equalModRequired=0; // If set to 1, player has to use exactly the same -mod= startup parameter as the server.

maxPlayers=30;

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers=1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold=0.33; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin or a new map, to become effective

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN=1; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality=0; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent=1; // If 1, missions still run on even after the last player disconnected.

BattlEye = 1;

// SCRIPTING ISSUES

onUserConnected=""; // self-explaining

onUserDisconnected="";

doubleIdDetected="";

regularCheck="";

// some ArmA specific stuff - signature verification

onUnsignedData = "kick (_this select 0)"; // unsigned data detected

onHackedData = "ban (_this select 0)"; // tampering of the signature detected

//onDifferentData=""; // data with a valid signature, but different version than the one present on server detected

//BattlEye=1; //Server to use BattlEye system

// MISSIONS CYCLE (see below)

class Missions

{

class COOP_HikeInTheHills

{

template="MPE1_HikeInTheHills.Takistan";// omit the .pbo suffix

difficulty="regular";// difficulty: recruit, regular, veteran or mercenary (see CfgDifficulties in the main game config)

};

class COOP_LaserShow

{

template="MPE1_LaserShow.Takistan";

difficulty="regular";

};

class COOP_Littlebird

{

template="MPE1_Littlebird.Takistan";

difficulty="regular";

};

class COOP_OneShotOneKill

{

template="MPE1_OneShotOneKill.Takistan";

difficulty="regular";

};

class COOP_SteelPanthers

{

template="MPE_SteelPanthers.Takistan";

difficulty="regular";

};

class CTI_MountainWarfare

{

template="MPE_MountainWarfare.Takistan";

difficulty="regular";

};

class CTI_MountainWarfare3Sided

{

template="MPE_MountainWarfare3Sided.Takistan";

difficulty="regular";

};

class CTI_UrbanWarfare

{

template="MP_UrbanWarfare.Zargabad";

difficulty="regular";

};

class SCont_SectorControl

{

template="MPE_SectorControl.Zargabad";

difficulty="veteran";

};

class DM_Dogfighters

{

template="MPE1_Dogfighters.Takistan";

difficulty="veteran";

};

class Team_HuntersHunted

{

template="MPE1_HuntersHunted.Takistan";

difficulty="veteran";

};

};

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=8021.000000;

Resolution_W=160;

Resolution_H=120;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

viewDistance=10000;

terrainGrid=10.000000;

MinBandwidth = 15000000;

MaxBandwidth = 100000000;

MaxMsgSend = 1024;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;

MinErrorToSend = 0.0025;

MaxCustomFileSize=0;

//-----------BIS Suggestions------------

//MinBandwidth = 320000;

//* Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to have (in bps). This value helps server to estimate bandwidth available. Increasing it to too optimistic values can increase lag and CPU load, as too many messages will be sent but discarded. Default: 131072

//MaxBandwidth = 10000000000;

//*Bandwidth the server is guaranteed to never have. This value helps the server to estimate bandwidth available.

//MaxMsgSend = 256;

//* Maximum number of messages that can be sent in one simulation cycle. Increasing this value can decrease lag on high upload bandwidth servers. Default: 128

//MaxSizeGuaranteed = 1024;

//*Maximum size of guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Small messages are packed to larger frames. Guaranteed messages are used for non-repetitive events like shooting. Default: 512

//MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;

//*Maximum size of non-guaranteed packet in bytes (without headers). Non-guaranteed messages are used for repetitive updates like soldier or vehicle position. Increasing this value may improve bandwidth requirement, but it may increase lag. Default: 256

//MinErrorToSend = 0.005;

//*Minimal error to send updates across network. Using a smaller value can make units observed by binoculars or sniper rifle to move smoother. Default: 0.01

if you are hosting ArmA 2 the reportingip is arma2pc.master.gamespy.com, if you are hosting OA or CO then the reportingip is arma2oapc.master.gamespy.com.

Check here for server.cfg

...Syn...