minimalaco

F.A.T.A. - Federally Administred Tribal Areas, Pakistán

Thanks guys, the only remaining task is the work on the river. like this:

maybe in the future ... :p

After some magnificent first exploring, I have to say I am absolutely astonished by the amount of work and love for detail you have put into the map Minimalaco! It feels extremely authentic :)

Thank you very much for your work which is absolutely showing its tasty fruits

So I spent the night porting my variant of ACE Insurgency over to this bad boy, and it is looking pretty amazing. PvP is clearly what will really shine on this terrain, though. I hope to see some larger communities put it to work.

Before I continue, let me just say, and with all due respect to =KCT=BlackMamba, that F.A.T.A will likely supplant Faysh Khabur as my favorite Arma 2 terrain. It really is a stunning piece of work, and you guys should be immensely proud.

That said, I've found a few very small issues:

There is a gap in the road, like a missing road section, in 060097.

(thumbs link to Photobucket page)

th_arma2oa2013-08-1514-31-05-54_zps2c5bb28c.png

th_arma2oa2013-08-1514-30-37-03_zpse4783714.png

Unable to enter the NW tower/bunker at the southern camp, in 022003. It looks like it just needs to be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

th_arma2oa2013-08-1514-24-07-70_zpsec42dda5.png

I found a few rocks in the road here and there, but I think they kind of fit. They'd also make good ambush sites. Also looking forward to the return of some rocks in the wadis, but you guys have earned some rest!

Again, bravo.

I had not seen that missing road, thanks!

About the tower/bunker I forgot to fix it :p

this is easily one of the very best maps released for the arma/ofp series overall. all the small details in how you placed walls and how everything looks very hand crafted. nothing looks rushed or copy pasted. and the vegetation placement and ground textures and the terrain overall look very natural.

i will probably still play this map in arma 4!

I am getting a ocean line when playing on fata. Maybe is AiA from arma 3 but is happening only in this map.

this is a bug with arma 2 maps that use pond objects.

minimalaco, you would make me and others very happy, if you could release an arma 3/AiA version. all that would be needed is removing the pond objects. i wouldn't bother asking but it makes it impossible to aim in a lot of situations. so i would be very grateful for that. this map looks and plays even better in arma 3 and it deserves to be rendered with the new lighting ;)

Wow, amazing map mate. One of the best; right up there with Hell's Kitchen. Great use of the pond objects, still trying to find those damn caves though.

Edited by Flax_
Mong Spelling

@Bad Benson

Yes, i will upload the fata.pbo without ponds now

@Flax_

hahahahah xd

Great cave I've just found..;)

Really fantastic terrain. Thanks again.

@Bad Benson

Yes, i will upload the fata.pbo without ponds now

thank you so much!

Got some time to mess around with it -- love the detail, especially your incorporation of the Satellite map, it really gives distant terrain a boost when many desert maps end up looking drab at a distance... Aliabad did a great job of achieving the feeling of realistic terrain with depth and scale, this map hits the mark as well. It's like POETRY how the compounds and structures are arranged haha...

Since the main thing we read about with the FATA is the drone war, I started messing with LDL AC-130's UAV Predator drone (script version at first, then addon version with MMA script version). I'm not sure if it's an MMA thing, but single hellfire strikes can't hit targets that are below or too close to the UAV...at a distance, though...to see them crest out and drop down on top of more distant targets, it's beautiful.

And to show how nicely minimalaco nailed it, this instagram of confirmed drone strikes could be confused for screenshots from his map!

http://instagram.com/dronestagram

Question - is this particular slice of the FATA real, or are all the locations fictional?

I've always wanted to do something involving CIA-SAD and the drone war (2004 bush era, pre-2011-obama era, and post-2011 after the incident that closed NATO supply lines in Pakistan), looks like that will HAVE to happen now on this wonderful map!

Question - is this particular slice of the FATA real, or are all the locations fictional?

The location is real, satellite image is from Northern Pakistan near the Afghanistan border.

Hey Minimalaco,

me and my team have been following the progress of your work and I have to admit that we are amazed by the outcome. Your map is one of the best (if not the best) I have seen since OFP. Outstanding job.

I know that your map was created to suit PvP, but I think there would be more than a few coop based communities that would play on it against AI. However, I have spotted an issue with foliage: AI sees through the plants situated on the farming fields. Below are the examples of the plants that AI can clearly see through:

http://imageshack.us/a/img153/6940/e1j5.jpg

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/7983/ekx8.jpg

AI behaves like there's nothing between us.

Also there is another type of fields, which AI doesn't see through, e.g.:

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4514/dx56.jpg

(GD 035044)

Is there any chance you can fix this somehow? I don't know if it's a parameter assigned to that fields or something else, but I don't like being nailed by the AI through 500m of fields that I can't see through at all.

To answer questions: I'm playing with the ACE mod (build 592, 12.04.2013) and I use the "AI grass viewblock" module (ace module under F7)

Same error ruined Sangin Province Hellmand for me, as our group was unable to play when AI can see through soild obstacles.

I really hope you can polish that little part of your map.

Thanks!

@Wynarator - As the guy who made those wheat fields I can tell you that it should be an easy fix to stop the AI seeing through it. You'll have to wait to hear from mini though if he wants to do an update:)

In the video at 32s where is that? The map is fantastic!

If you look back a couple of posts you will find the cave map positions.

That one in the vid is the largest cave, little vid here.:)

If you look back a couple of posts you will find the cave map positions.

That one in the vid is the largest cave, little vid here.:)

Thanks! Anybody knows what the PR Tunnel Module does?

Thanks! Anybody knows what the PR Tunnel Module does?

basically creates random tunnels systems, but the necessary files are not in the package.

@Wynarator - As the guy who made those wheat fields I can tell you that it should be an easy fix to stop the AI seeing through it. You'll have to wait to hear from mini though if he wants to do an update:)

Minimalaco, is it possible, please please please please please please? :)

I love the map! Amazing work!

I tried with aia and your modified pbo and it crashed! Is it just me?