Sign in to follow this  
AfroSpartan

Multiplayer Editor

I know its very unlikely for it to happen but...

We need a multiplayer editor because it would be insanely useful to be able to create a map with your friends.

Just putting it out there ;).

You are joking right? What would be the benefits? You already have the merge function ... you tell your friend to make certain aspects of the mission, then you make some other, afterwards you merge... voila. There you go multi person editor.

For scripts its the same. Just give them to your friend or the other way around.

You are joking right? What would be the benefits? You already have the merge function ... you tell your friend to make certain aspects of the mission, then you make some other, afterwards you merge... voila. There you go multi person editor.

For scripts its the same. Just give them to your friend or the other way around.

Yeah because that's alot more convenient.

That's unnecessary hassle it would be far easier to just have multiple people working on the same map then you could have some people setting up the bases and such then another person scripting. You waste less time also

its certainly an...ambitious request. You have to realize that that would mean you would need to host a server where your actions and other players' actions would constantly need to be sent back and forth, and everytime the mission is edited each person will have to download the entire mission again.

Dont get me wrong, I love the idea. I've always wanted to do something like that, but it isn't really possible atm.

One person would be working on an obsolete build of the mission..

One would be on the map making sure everything is in place, other dude adds something to the map and hits preview - you are both now in different builds.

Not possible my friend.

For that concept TG Marksman X that they would have different builds, you are correct it wouldn't work, it would work if one person added something,

then sent the file to the next guy he did his thing and so on, but to do a live mp editor where all parties can be involved, is possible but I dont think its quite

working yet, however there is a program you can use where you can have a live game and add stuff real time, see here:

VTS3.5 - Live Multiplayer coop mission editor

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?94350-VTS3-5-Live-Multiplayer-coop-mission-editor&highlight=dynamic+editing+mission

One would be on the map making sure everything is in place, other dude adds something to the map and hits preview - you are both now in different builds.

If he hit preview then you could have a dialog box that would ask the other players if they are ready to preview, or everyone goes into the preview automatically.

Try using TeamViewer, it works for us and is so................easy. All are working on the very same instance of the mission hosted on one computer. Just trade-off the mouse control between each other as you build. Then it is always saved on the hosted computer. Simple.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

I would like to have a simulated MP mode in the editor, so you pretend to host your map when you hit preview, even though you still play on it alone.

not really the same but would save time when doing mp-missions, and using functions that wont work unless its mp.

its certainly an...ambitious request. You have to realize that that would mean you would need to host a server where your actions and other players' actions would constantly need to be sent back and forth, and everytime the mission is edited each person will have to download the entire mission again.

Dont get me wrong, I love the idea. I've always wanted to do something like that, but it isn't really possible atm.

do you understand that this is EXACTLY what a server does at all times? it is very possible and would not use more bandwidth than a normal server hosting a game

this is how i see it... wish i could code the UI for it

two people on a server, one is host the other is client.( could be more people but two is easiest to explain)

server can turn on mp mission editor and you both go to a mission editor( map with buttons for adding way-points and such)

in the editor you both have a cursor of different colors and any move you make is fed live to the other client( exactly what a server does right now with the ai positions and all that so its not too much for anyone, shit you can send live desktop video on a phone's 3G connection)

when you save a marker/unit/grouping/unit init( if one person placed a unit the init being edited would have the be allowed or denied) it gets fed to the other clients. noone joins the game unless all are ready and have saved the mission to the server/clients.

basically.... VTS but with the layout of the editor

With the modern IT almost anything is possible. My question is, is this really needed? I mean, what are the key benefits? Speaking from a programmer's point of view, multiple people working on the same piece of code/software/map/whatever at the same time is not good practice. "Checking out" (as in checking out a book, not cheking out a girl/guy) different bits is OK, hence the merge function and all that, but simultaneously editing stuff.... Hmm. I think it'd be more trouble than it could be worth.