Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

IRL there is a difference from straight forward jumping (where you just leap vertically)

and the "skipping" style, where you gain some air, but you maintain your forward momentum

for small gaps, the "skipping" jump should be nessessary to transverse tricky terrain

for rooftop-to-rooftop scenarios, it should be one well coordinated jump that consumes all the player's fatigue (unless modders/devs want to similate parkour and implement those techniques that allow you to channel the shock away from your body)

the only way to fix the bhopping pheonomenon is to similate the fact the player/character is moving on 2 sticks (the legs) instead of a imaginary conveyor belt (or to provide a accuracy penalty from skipping, jumping; doing this will make jumping more of a tool to get places or to run away)

technically speaking, every step you take IRL is one small "jump" as you give yourself some leverage to give yourself a forward momentum

Edited by C0mbustableL3m0nz

Can someone point me to a working climbing mod? I know Bad Benson put something together but I need a PBO and server key.

Can someone point me to a working climbing mod? I know Bad Benson put something together but I need a PBO and server key.

I have code for one that doesn't work yet if you want to help me.

while jump seems an useless feature to me, i have to admit that climb a fence or a wall could add more deep to game, especially in sthealth - low profile - mission.

while jump seems an useless feature to me, i have to admit that climb a fence or a wall could add more deep to game, especially in sthealth - low profile - mission.

It's not realistic to have soldier jump. This is why it does not exist in game. And why this read has been dead fir so long.

But mods and scripts allow for a jumping feature.

It's not realistic to have soldier jump. This is why it does not exist in game. And why this read has been dead fir so long.

But mods and scripts allow for a jumping feature.

It's not? So what would you call jumping over.... let's say a trench?

Plz don't derail this thread. I really just want a climbing/jumping mod. I know it's out there, I just need someone w/a download link or something.

Vault could be changed around a bit. Its way too slow too often.

There should be a sort of vaulting like in DayZ-SA. Not a jump like it is that game, but a moving vault.

If feels like we stop comepletely, to make a short and slow vault, and start sprinting again.

a vault where you put a hand on the object (say low wall or fence) and sort of jump over it with 2 legs together would so good.

A noraml jump for infantry would be actually pretty low and not very far. Not like other arcade games.

a smart vault and mantling would be so much more usefl. thing is smooky made a great mod for arma2 but for whatever reason many of his best ideas have not made it in to arma3. no idea why. a loss to the game and community in my opinion.

a vault where you put a hand on the object (say low wall or fence) and sort of jump over it with 2 legs together would so good.

A noraml jump for infantry would be actually pretty low and not very far. Not like other arcade games.

a smart vault and mantling would be so much more usefl. thing is smooky made a great mod for arma2 but for whatever reason many of his best ideas have not made it in to arma3. no idea why. a loss to the game and community in my opinion.

A lot of the movement options in that mod were pretty great, and would work much better with engine support.

As for vaulting in its current implementation: it's terrible and needs to go. You have to stop and slowly step over a knee high obstacle. There needs to be some sort of smart mantling system (there won't be). I also don't see any problem with being able to make a small jump at the cost of a lot of stamina. Sometimes I want to get over an obstacle really fast and I don't care if I can shoot straight when I get to the other side.

We really don't need to have this debate again. If you want a running vault/jump, you can find it here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?160133-Realistic-Jumping-Script

You guys are just speculating. It is not practical to jump unless your life depends on it because your at a huge disadvantage after jumping once for the rest of the mission.

Edited by ProGamer

You guys are just speculating.

And you're a combat jumping expert?

P.S. Scripted jumping is not a solution.

wat??

I guess I'm not sure what is difficult to understand. Relying on scripts to implement a feature that should be an in engine mechanic is not a viable solution. Scripted jumping is just as clunky as vanilla vaulting - just in different ways.

Jumping and mantling are the kind of core game mechanics that need to be taken into account in the design stages of a game, not added as an afterthought, which is how both jumping scripts and the vanilla vault feel.

If you are referring to my response to Programer, that was a sarcastic statement made in reference to the fact that he likely has no experience either in the military, or jumping in heavy gear in a situation when people are shooting at him. Thus his statements that everyone else is "just speculating" while then going on to state what is or is not practical in combat is hypocritical.

I guess I'm not sure what is difficult to understand. Relying on scripts to implement a feature that should be an in engine mechanic is not a viable solution. Scripted jumping is just as clunky as vanilla vaulting - just in different ways.

Jumping and mantling are the kind of core game mechanics that need to be taken into account in the design stages of a game, not added as an afterthought, which is how both jumping scripts and the vanilla vault feel.

If you are referring to my response to Programer, that was a sarcastic statement made in reference to the fact that he likely has no experience either in the military, or jumping in heavy gear in a situation when people are shooting at him. Thus his statements that everyone else is "just speculating" while then going on to state what is or is not practical in combat is hypocritical.

ah you were being sarcastic, i see ;) Well, no idea about mantle but yeah, jumping with full equipent, sounds like bs to me, unless your are lightweight recon unit, light on gear weight, maybe then.

I don't know, depending on how much stamina it takes and how high/far the jump is, it seems reasonable to me. Certainly better than sprinting full speed at a wall that doesn't even reach my knees, only to have to stop dead in my tracks and daintily step over it when I get there.

And you're a combat jumping expert?

P.S. Scripted jumping is not a solution.

I'm not an expert. That is why I want people who have been in a military and/or have experience with the subject in real life.

Also is this big hate for Arma not having jump because of that PC Gamer video?

If anything a realistically quickly vault for when you need to move faster is a better solution than adding in an arcade jump feature.

Edited by ProGamer

anyone who wants jump. Pack a ruck with 40-70 kilogramms weight. Take something in hands, what could represent a weapon, and weights about 2-3 kilos. Now try to run with it for a bit and on full sped try to jump over something and tell us. (if you hurt yourself, don't make me responsible for anything)

Anyone who wants to jump has never worn a kit with a combat load before or is a POG.

I've worn full combat gear before (sidearm + ammo, 60lbs pack, m240 + ammo, uniform/boots) good luck jumping with that stuff on, I'm also no weakling either. All I'm asking for (And Progamer is going to work on it for me, thank you) is a mod that allows a soldier to climb over stuff.

I've worn full combat gear before (sidearm + ammo, 60lbs pack, m240 + ammo, uniform/boots) good luck jumping with that stuff on, I'm also no weakling either. All I'm asking for (And Progamer is going to work on it for me, thank you) is a mod that allows a soldier to climb over stuff.

I jumped over a rock once. Once.

Got a nasty back injury that took days to heal.

I saw like 300thousands videos of real soldiers in combat and no one ever made a jump

I'm not an expert. That is why I want people who have been in a military and/or have experience with the subject in real life.

Also is this big hate for Arma not having jump because of that PC Gamer video?

If anything a realistically quickly vault for when you need to move faster is a better solution than adding in an arcade jump feature.

Downrange we wear in excess of 150 pounds of gear, so you're not jumping over anything.

Anyone who wants to jump has never worn a kit with a combat load before or is a POG.

:D

Im sure nobody can get shot 2-3 times (like in arma) and still move around like normal. Stop bringing in "super realistic" arguments.

I do not give a damn if they add a small jump. It is 100 times better than stopping completely while im sprinting and then move slowly over a small fence.

Im sure nobody can get shot 2-3 times (like in arma) and still move around like normal. Stop bringing in "super realistic" arguments.

I do not give a damn if they add a small jump. It is 100 times better than stopping completely while im sprinting and then move slowly over a small fence.

You forgot to take into account ballistic plates, pal. Which the game simulates.

I was hit once in the plate and a second round hit my left arm. I was still combat effective.

th_DSC00209.jpg