Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

roof to roof? Sounds like suicide idea to me.

Over something like a narrow access gulley between houses, not so much.

Yep, ever been to Takistan or Zargabad?

and FYI, not everything in Arma is a fully loaded soldier ;)

A combat ladder would be good as well so we could climb up buildings/bridge wider gaps. I think ACE 2 had one. Its what you would use instead of jumping IRL. Obviously would go into the backpack or launcher slot.

not to boar on this again, i say, if there would be jumping (still tend not having it), when units with only a pistol and uniform, without vests, rucks, other weapons could jump, - OK. Might even add posibilities for special operations. But as long unit has an automatic weapon, vest, ruck, there is no way he can jump at all. But this will require lots of unecessary work, to make something like that. There are really tons of other stuff to do and improve, like finally implementing bi-pods. From me thats a NO, but "i could live with it", if only gearless units are able to jump.

not to boar on this again, i say, if there would be jumping (still tend not having it), when units with only a pistol and uniform, without vests, rucks, other weapons could jump, - OK. Might even add posibilities for special operations. But as long unit has an automatic weapon, vest, ruck, there is no way he can jump at all. But this will require lots of unecessary work, to make something like that. There are really tons of other stuff to do and improve, like finally implementing bi-pods. From me thats a NO, but "i could live with it", if only gearless units are able to jump.

Just curious but you have heard of such a thing as a parabola right? Even if you're heavily weighed down, a jump from two even height buildings would be possible since it relies much more on forward inertia than vertical, depending on distance of course. It's not like you just drop right after you jump. Just make the animation have a vertical inertia = to the weight the unit is carrying. It's not like soldiers are physically incapable of jumping, which is how most make it sound.

Just curious but you have heard of such a thing as a parabola right? Even if you're heavily weighed down, a jump from two even height buildings would be possible since it relies much more on forward inertia than vertical, depending on distance of course. It's not like you just drop right after you jump. Just make the animation have a vertical inertia = to the weight the unit is carrying. It's not like soldiers are physically incapable of jumping, which is how most make it sound.

to much work for useless feature.

roof to roof? Sounds like suicide idea to me.

You should read David Finkel's "The Good Soldiers". An amazing firefight happens where-by a fleeing insurgent is chased rooftop to rooftop.

NeuroFunker's comments are wearing me out. Just had to say that. :)

My two cents:

Jumping would be a nice feature -- not top priority -- but I think it would be cool and useful. If I am trying to get across a ditch quickly I am not going to run down it and then slowly walk up the other side (like you are forced to do when trying to sprint up inclines in ARMA). Instead I would probably leap across and I really don't think it would be impossible even with a heavy load of gear.

to much work for useless feature.

Everything round these parts is too much work these days :rolleyes:

My thoughts on the vanilla vault:

It's rubbish. It isn't smooth or reliable. In a tense situation, you don't want to stop, slowly step over something, stop, then resume; and that's what happens with the vanilla vault.

Now, I'm not saying there should be a standard FPS like jump mechanic. That's silly; this is more a simulation than a game. Jumping with 60 kilos of gear on your back is not really something you're going to do often or well. However, quickly vaulting over obstacles, or even simply scaling a chainlink fence is realistic. If the vault mechanic in the game worked a little smoother and could be performed at a quicker pace, it would be perfect.

However, until then, there are good jump addons. The one used in Breaking Point is especially good.

I dont understand why they dont have a vault mechanic, that like when you run and press v you vault over an object(However I guess the problem is the animation, vaulting over an object which doesnt exist can look strange :p).

I think Bad Benson(?) might be developing some enhanced movement mod with the ability to climb possibly, but memory very vague and don't think anythings released.

I dont understand why they dont have a vault mechanic, that like when you run and press v you vault over an object(However I guess the problem is the animation, vaulting over an object which doesnt exist can look strange :p).

Well it would have to be context sensitive. It would just look silly if you vault over one of those small wire fences :p

I reached out to Bad Benson...he says he still has the script but hasn't had the motivation to finish it...Lets assemble and motivate him! Everyone PM him! :)

Kidding about PMing him, in case you didn't catch the sarcasm.

Edited by SpanishSurfer

I find it strange how the character/animation can sprint fully geared up but cannot jump big or small in any capacity, without stopping dead and scissor kicking over an object. With an incentive like hot metal flying towards me i'm sure I could jump over a wall or small fence:). As Arma 3 recognizes the weight you are carrying in the inventory, surely this could determine height or what types of jump is possible?