Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

No jumping. Try jumping with 50+ lbs of gear on. That's why there's tons of videos of soldiers falling into small streams when trying to jump over them.

130% accurate, I tested it! If I wear a Polo shirt and a Bermuda pant I'm unable to jump or climb. Obviously I was fully equipped with my 70+ kg combat gear of potetos + 5 kg of side fu*** that I give in the bermuda

Seriously, no one care if a Soldier can jump or not fully equipped, it's just about make everybody happy with the actual game... that's it.

Anyway, I'm so glad that at least BI included the animation... Thanks god!

I'm still thinking that they might made it to implement it in the future... I'm still praying and hoping for that.

I think Smookie said in bad benson's animation mod thread that he was working on the climbing, not sure though.

What if you can jump a certain height/distance depending on the amount of gear you have, then?

130% accurate, I tested it! If I wear a Polo shirt and a Bermuda pant I'm unable to jump or climb. Obviously I was fully equipped with my 70+ kg combat gear of potetos + 5 kg of side fu*** that I give in the bermuda

Seriously, no one care if a Soldier can jump or not fully equipped, it's just about make everybody happy with the actual game... that's it.

I'm still thinking that they might made it to implement it in the future... I'm still praying and hoping for that.

It's realistic to not allow soldiers in full gear to jump.

---------- Post added at 02:04 ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 ----------

No jumping. Try jumping with 50+ lbs of gear on. That's why there's tons of videos of soldiers falling into small streams when trying to jump over them.

This^ 100%

---------- Post added at 02:06 ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 ----------

I think Smookie said in bad benson's animation mod thread that he was working on the climbing, not sure though.

What if you can jump a certain height/distance depending on the amount of gear you have, then?

The default gear would mean a grand total of like 2 centimetres of jump distance. Seems like a waste of time unless it's only for the civilians in game or un geared soldiers.

Just for some perspective, if the average standing vertical jump using free-arm countermovement among elite basketball players indoors, on a mat under ideal test conditions is less than 1 meter. What would it be for an average combat soldier loaded down with gear, encumbered by a weapon, with restricted arm movement on uneven terrain with rocks, loose sand, roots, mud, logs, bushes? Also jumping with 50-75 pounds of gear in uveven terrain greatly increases the odds of soft-tissue injuries as well as stress injuries to load bearing areas of the body like knees, back and ankles.

Source:

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/results/vertical-jump.htm

Edited by MissionCreep

I can agree with jumping over gaps no bigger than eh…2 meters wide if it’s done sensibly

By that I mean that each jump should cut your stamina in half and you need to jog at least a few feet to clear that 1.5 meter gap.

On top of that I think it should be a three button function: Hold forward and right control, tap v twice to jump. Seems like an effective way to slaughter the bunnies…in my brain at least.

(I’ve jumped many irrigation ditches with a combat load in my time so I know that it is feasible.)

In addition, this is from my wish list….

Step Over/Climb: I shouldn't have to hit a button for anything under...eh… I say thigh high… unless it's railing along a cliff or the edge of a roof. (That’s so you don’t fall off without meaning to.) If I'm moving forward and I come to a knee high ledge or step I'm simply going to raise my leg and go... Another thing... CLIMBING! This doesn't pertain to ladders… I'm talking about walls… You know the walls in Agia Marina that surround some of the houses? A motivated warfighter should be able to go up to one of those walls hit "step over" and leap, pulling himself up onto the wall… it should take away his stamina...more or less depending on gear... but he should be able to first stay on his starting side of the wall, come to a forearm hang and peak over (If you take too long he should get tired and drop back down)... hitting forward brings you prone on the top of the wall and then doing so again would send you over the other side or you could hit back and go back from whence you came.

….Maybe you should also be able to stand up by hitting the crouch or prone to standing key so that you could walk along the top of the wall and do the same climbing function to get onto the roof of a house?

I agree that running jumps should be implemented as Squirrel said in above post. However the idea about auto vault is awful -- imagine the game making you automatically leap over objects just as you run behind them to take cover. I recall a similar design, maybe Ghost Recon Future Soldier, and it had an auto cover feature that made you stick to walls when you don't want to. As far as movement goes I think it should be one hundred percent player controlled.

The game still works without jumping, nothings broken.. personally i dont see it as an absolute requirement, i have argued for it in the past from the many other threads about jumping but dont see a need for it in terms of being able to play the game.

Maybe the ability to hoist yourself up to ledges would be cool.. but not an absolute necessity, as always it would be nice along with the hundred other feature requests.

However the idea about auto vault is awful -- imagine the game making you automatically leap over objects just as you run behind them to take cover. I recall a similar design, maybe Ghost Recon Future Soldier, and it had an auto cover feature that made you stick to walls when you don't want to. As far as movement goes I think it should be one hundred percent player controlled.

Not sure if you took the auto vault thing from my post or not but just to be clear... I don't mean auto step over as in as soon as you come to an object you automatically start into an animation to step over.... I just mean that somethings on the ground level shouldn't stop you or slow you down.

This stems from the little shin high stone walls that are scattered all over the fields. In some places they're only one stone high but they still stop you like a full sized wall.

Those stone walls are the ones that I think you should simply step over automatically, if it was just a quick, lift your leg high animation instead of the (stop, step, raise and swing leg, swing second leg, place, take off..) I think that would be better.. nothing that locks you in and makes you a sitting duck while you're trying to negotiate a stupid foot high ledge.

I think that would be very easy to counter from stepping over because it would just mean stopping before you passed the wall. Maybe if you stop before it... when you hit it there should be a slight delay or something that makes if feel like you bumped it...if you continued to push forward again you'd step over it..

...or just make the step over animation quicker. It's fine for casual patrols.. not so much for combat...unless you're moving over a barbwire fence.

The game still works without jumping, nothings broken..

Except being able to move over obstacles higher than your ankle with reasonable speed. Jumping may not be the answer, and it's certainly not the only answer, but something really should be done to allow players to get over waist high fences without stopping dead in their tracks first. The current vault system is just really unpolished and bad.

Edit: Squirrel, I think it's almost always better to allow the player to decide when they want to climb over something like that. There's just too much potential for the game making the wrong judgement for you, and pressing or holding a key is a pretty simple way to avoid that problem.

Except being able to move over obstacles higher than your ankle with reasonable speed. Jumping may not be the answer, and it's certainly not the only answer, but something really should be done to allow players to get over waist high fences without stopping dead in their tracks first. The current vault system is just really unpolished and bad.

Edit: Squirrel, I think it's almost always better to allow the player to decide when they want to climb over something like that. There's just too much potential for the game making the wrong judgement for you, and pressing or holding a key is a pretty simple way to avoid that problem.

Yeah that would work fine as long as it's quick like you and I said before. My controls are also different from the default so it doesn't effect me as much but it's still annoying to have to stop.

@roshnak, The character does automatically step over ankle high and probably a bit higher stone walls and I agree that the step over isn't convincing but it still works, it's absolutely believable to me that my character needs to stop to get over a fence, especially carrying a weapon, I get the argument but personally not convinced that it's a game breaker.. So yeah nah :D

EDIT: actually just tested and my character automatically walks over the stone walls that are knee high, also he can auto walk over some boulders that are a bit higher.

Edited by Katipo66

no need to pray mate, just play battlefield. It is 150% accurate, and a real military simulation!

Animations should be dynamic (like in assassin's ceed) the character will use the appropriate method depending on the obstacle and his weight ! but ,i don't think its possible with the arma engine ! so it's better not to add the jump animation at all for now !

no need to pray mate, just play battlefield. It is 150% accurate, and a real military simulation!

What's your point? Are we talking about Arma or "which game should I play"?

My comment was refered to these people that wont allow any kinda of ingame jump, even if you have no gear. I find pretty weird that these people like to talk about realism.

Posters who continue to push The idea that a jump = BF need to get the fuck over it and find some new material seriously.

My comment was refered to these people that wont allow any kinda of ingame jump, even if you have no gear. I find pretty weird that these people like to talk about realism.

it's a tongue in cheek response to your request for jumping. there's a fairly easy counter to your realism argument. going to the bathroom is realistic, but it's not in the game. there are things you could do, then there are things you can do. jumping doesn't fit the scope of what the game is trying to simulate. it's not a hurdle jumping sim, it's a combat sim, and people rarely, if ever, jump in the middle of combat. also, considering the way animations and actions are handled in this game, jumping wouldn't add a whole lot. it'd be as stiff and unreliable as the vaulting animation.

it's a tongue in cheek response to your request for jumping. there's a fairly easy counter to your realism argument. going to the bathroom is realistic, but it's not in the game. there are things you could do, then there are things you can do. jumping doesn't fit the scope of what the game is trying to simulate. it's not a hurdle jumping sim, it's a combat sim, and people rarely, if ever, jump in the middle of combat. also, considering the way animations and actions are handled in this game, jumping wouldn't add a whole lot. it'd be as stiff and unreliable as the vaulting animation.

It's a crappy, dismissive, patronizing response generally delivered by people who would never say something is "too realistic." This community would be a whole lot better if posting any variation of "go back to bf" was a bannable offense.

Furthermore, I believe the whole purpose of this thread is to request a less stiff and unreliable way to navigate obstacles. BIS created the engine, they can make anything as smooth or as clunky as they want, given the time and desire to do so. The only way things definitely won't change is if everyone involved decides that they can't, and that things will always be like they are now. Fortunately, that doesn't seem likely, since BIS have already done a ton of work to make the movement feel smoother and more natural.

It doesn't seem super unreasonable to think that spacebar (currently bound to a function which is already bound to two other keys) could be a context sensitive jump/mantle key, with jump height or distance and stamina decrease dependent on the weight of a player's gear, and the ability to mantle over small obstacles when next to them. To completely disallow jumping seems like the kind of arbitrary restriction that being unable to reload while moving was, especially given the ability to play a wide range of roles with highly customizable loadouts.

Edited by roshnak

I'm not sure that jumping as described in this thread would be all that useful, and perhaps not useful enough to warrant an engine change. Small obstacles like low stone walls etc can already be easily overcome simply by running over them, IMO simulating casual running-vaulting. Higher obstacles like fences, IMO are not really jumpable obstacles it would be like hurdles, an unsuitable action for an equipped soldier. The slower step-over movement already seems to be the most suitable way to do this.

What I would say, is that taller obstacles than fences need to have some way to overcome. Like a chest-high wall for example, a scramble-over animation would be very welcome.

As for having the ability to jump across trenches, that might be a valid reason for a jump, but that seems more like a step-across situation. Plus, I've not seen any examples of trenches in ArmA.

i'm sure, most of us can live without jumping, since ofp. If it was really important, we would have jumping any time in between ofp and arma 3. Also where is a feedback ticket about jumping, how many votes are there? Else it's just pissing against the wind. Making wet yourself only.

I don't care if it's jump or climb animation honestly, it's just about get over the obstacles giving an advance to who choose to wear a relativly small gear and an hendicap to these people that prefer to carry 1 launcher, 3 rockets, backpack, sidearm, rifle , magazines, grenades.

Neurofunker your replies are no-sense. The fact that we lived without ragdolls ingame till A3 doesn't mean we could have lived forever because "it's useless". And the feedback tracker it's pretty much no-sense as well, since as we well noticed BIS don't really care about it [Or at least nowfor these kinda of features (check the first 2 pages of the feedbacktracker)].

This is a thread, we just discuss there and I gave my point of view

Just explain me what's the problem with this feature, because I don't see any. Maybe if you explain your reasons (instead of using this "go play with sand castle" or "we never had any so we can live with it" attitude) I might will change my opinion.

Edited by Babylonjoke

i'm sure, most of us can live without jumping, since ofp. If it was really important, we would have jumping any time in between ofp and arma 3. Also where is a feedback ticket about jumping, how many votes are there? Else it's just pissing against the wind. Making wet yourself only.

You know what else we couldn't do in OFP? Reload while moving.

You know what else we couldn't do in OFP? Reload while moving.

True, but A2 solved it. Wich in all fairness is of a much higher importance.

Well it's a good thing we can do that in this game then, right?

Well, we can atleast vault in a normal pace for now. And this feature has already gotten a lot more love in A3 compared to A2.

I'm not really arguing against having a faster vault of some kind, but I'd hope for the main soldier movement and stances to get some updates before.