Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

We just need the ShackTac Bunnyhop, it is just a faster way of getting over obstacles, and i don't think there is a good way to implement climbing on the game at this point, but who knows? But to fix the slow steppingover this bunnyhop is perfect IMO.

geez is this thread still alive? Jumping doesn't have a place in arma. Yes I know real soldiers jump but in game it would be reduced to the usual gamey garbage, jumping around at stupid times, jumping and shooting. It is highly unrealistic and is a huge waste of dev time

Consider even Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six has no jump, I don't see why ArmA, a game aiming for higher level of realism should have one.

Yeh not being able to jump is the worst thing about these games, though it should depend on how much gear you have.

Is jumping = climbing in games term? I read a lot of comments and what I can sum up is people actually wanted is the ability climb over obstacle. Since in game term since Doom, you 'climb' those waist boxes by pressing the jump button. So consequently people want 'Jump'. But with that kind of jump, introduce bunny hoppers, so we dont want that. Instead, we need climb/vault.

So in summary, what we need is climb. Not jump. Is this correct?

Jumping would just end up killing immersion for me. The current "jump over" animation is much improved and faster than A2's, and I'm happy with it, plus it does allow you to "climb up" low obstacles. All we need is for something to climb up slightly higher obstacles.

Would like to have the option to vault over higher walls, just like there are more types of stances, there should be an option to either grab on a wall/look over it in first person, and jumping over the wall.

Just my thought

Consider even Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six has no jump, I don't see why ArmA, a game aiming for higher level of realism should have one.

Ok, isnt this a little ass backwards? "ARMA is trying to be realistic so humans should not be allowed to jump?" What kind of sense does this make someone anyone?

The problem is gameplay. People fear it would look ridiculous like CoD or CS and they have a point, but it also looks ridiculous to have that vault animation that sometimes looks out of place. What we need is some universal and good looking animation of moving over obstacles.

could be made leaps forward or sideways with real animations ... would not be a bit overloaded the control interface of the player?

What I would like to be able to climb rocks and places inaccessible to tanks, that things balanced between being a poor soldier or have a powerful tank.

The problem is gameplay. People fear it would look ridiculous like CoD or CS and they have a point.

The problem is mind of milsimers. What milsimers would call improved vault is called jump by 99% people on this planet. What milsimers call jump is FPS-shooter bunny-hopping, something not related to OP's request. So I suggest all milsimers to install this extensions

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/foxreplace/

and add rule to replace jump with improved vault before reading this thread ;).

Some sort of climbing thing wouldn't be that bad. Personally I just don't see how you'd be able to jump higher than the current step over thing when you carry ~40+ kg of equipment, weapons, etc.

Some sort of climbing thing wouldn't be that bad. Personally I just don't see how you'd be able to jump higher than the current step over thing when you carry ~40+ kg of equipment, weapons, etc.

You wouldn't be able to, at least not without your buddys giving you a boost over. People here think because they can jump real high when they play basketball that they'd be able to do the same thing when weighed down with gear, carrying a weapon, not having slept for 36 hours, and just generally exhausted from the stressors of battle.

I'm a soldier, and I have jumped a wall in full kit with a gun. We conduct a assessment test every couple weeks that's in full kit sometimes pro mask.

How high? And jump as in "jump over it, don't touch it" or as in "jump up on and climb over it"?

Jumped high enough to get magazine pouchs on top of the wall, then used them and my arms to pull myself over. In general all this "with 80lbs of gear" is not accurate. You do not fight with a ruck on.

Such a feature I would support having. IIRC, SMK had something like it in Arma 2. What I wouldn't like to have would be the option to just jump in place, a bit arcady.

Yea that would be pretty stupid I agree, its just weird to see an argument where the sole point is "real soldiers dont jump." Just as you know from our other thread. If its for gameplay reasons say so, but these so called "experts" need to relax especially when most sound like they dont have a clue what is or is not true.

I don't see the problem with adding horizontal jumping if it has a cool-down period (a second or so might be fair, without being too unrealistically restrictive), dramatically cuts your stamina and sprinting ability, and increases aim sway for a couple seconds. But that's only if there are situations where you need a more or less horizontal jump (if between rooftops or balconies is the only such case then I could easily do without).

Climbing could be nice, but jumping is a no.

I don't really think that the traditional FPS upwards jumping belongs in a game like ArmA. I also think ArmA's areas and objects are designed with that in mind. ArmA just isn't a generic fps and nor is it a generic assassin game, where all buildings are designed with invisible parkour paths in mind.