Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

BF-like vaulting is not realistic either. It looks like soldiers are doing parkour even if they have a huge AT launcher on their backs - ridiculous.

I always thought they look like an action movie star sliding across a car hood, even if they've got 100lbs of gear on and are vaulting a brick wall. It's pretty comical.

BF3 changed up the pace of the game to appeal to more CoD players. Arma just need to find the proper middle ground.

Ask the modmakers. Don't expect a non needed function in vanilla. When do you ever see soilders in any combat video jumping. Jumping only creates a situation where you are throwing your weight in one direction, chancing a fall, and unable to change your course mid air where as running is more controlled. as for getting over things, in real life you climb up a hill or step over or under barbed wire. you never do something so silly as jumping.

Ask the modmakers. Don't expect a non needed function in vanilla. When do you ever see soilders in any combat video jumping. Jumping only creates a situation where you are throwing your weight in one direction, chancing a fall, and unable to change your course mid air where as running is more controlled. as for getting over things, in real life you climb up a hill or step over or under barbed wire. you never do something so silly as jumping.

?

I have seen and heard , jump and climb walls, climb ropes, climb caving ladders, jump on cars, jump on several items to get on top of something else absent a ladder, jump off ledges, jump over gaps, jump on a roof(fall through roof). To say that soldiers dont jump is false.

No to jumping.

Yes to climbing.

We need "real life" arguments, because ArmA is supposed to be realistic. No more "because other games" etc.
Why would we need jump? I still dont get any idea how it would be helpful. As stated it would most likely be abused by people trying to make Arma more like Cod/BF and used to bunny hop.

I would like to see more realism in movement, like you have to drop your ruck when you receive contact so you can move. From all the vets I have spoken with they always dropped their rucks so they could move easier when under fire.

These comments are good.

Weight-based inertia/stamina modifiers would be nice.

I always thought they look like an action movie star sliding across a car hood, even if they've got 100lbs of gear on and are vaulting a brick wall. It's pretty comical.

BF3 changed up the pace of the game to appeal to more CoD players. Arma just need to find the proper middle ground.

100lbs of gear? are you serious?

I would pay to see my colleagues with 30-40kg of gear jump around on the field.

The argument that the army uses Parcour (yes, it is true, the French army invented it, hence the name) is correct:

HOWEVER

Parcour d'Obstacle is done in PT gear, and the aim of it is to increase agility when encountering common obstacles on a battlefield.

As you can notice:

- he is not wearing full body armor

- he is not wearing a helmet

- he is not armed with an assault rifle, pistol and the base loadout of magazines that add extra weight

- he is not armed with an AT rocket or ATGM like some could carry in ArmA2

- he does not have a backpack or bergen in the case of extended operations

With all the above added on as extra weight, the Parcour d'Obstacle is not very doable.

Edited by Leon026

Dang, he's pretty good. Agile and coordinated. Reminds me of... The Master Chief.

I definitely think some of the features that we've seen in the SMK Animations should be implemented, including the jump over the wall.However, there should be a very definite barrier. If you are a normal rifleman, equipped with your pack and everything inside, no way. On the other hand, if you are a special forces soldier, you'd be able to vault over a wall that is a bit lower.

The best answer I can see from all the responses is that a weight system is implemented, and this has an effect on what actions you can or cannot perform.

Ok this looks like a lot of stuff to takie into account and would probably be difficult to inplement. So maybe we can just have the standard vaulting animation changed to something more dynamic and universal, like grabbing the obstacle with one and a lifting yourself over/onto it. I have noticed that in some building the door is higher with a platform with stairs leading to it. This is waist-high, so no matter load anyone should be able to hop onto the platform. In Arma however this is not possible, we need to go around and use the stairs. It's the same with some rocks - you cannot get onto them.

God is this tread still alive? Can we just summarise with a firm "NO" and put it to bed?

/thread

100lbs of gear? are you serious?

Why wouldn't I be? Have you seen the amount of gear and ammo carried by some of the units in BF3? A guy carrying a 30lbs gun and 20lbs of ammo for it is probably carrying close to 100 lbs. It's pretty comical watching then vault and slide like Martin Riggs.

Can we just summarise with a firm "NO" and put it to bed?

Sure, if you want to ignore that half of us are saying no to jump and yes to expanding the functionality of the vault, and I think people have done a good job of explaining why and how the functionality should be improved. Not what I would call a "firm" no.

Sure, if you want to ignore that half of us are saying no to jump and yes to expanding the functionality of the vault, and I think people have done a good job of explaining why and how the functionality should be improved. Not what I would call a "firm" no.

Look, I agree there is some value in the idea of a running vault, if done properly, but to be frank on the wish list this ranks somewhere around 10,000th place along with the ability for my avatar to pick his nose. its just not relevant enough to gameplay to be worth making a fuss over.

I searched the word "Knife" in the forums, read the list of equipment in one thread, has anyone heard if there will be knives for CQB?

I think Smookie and many of the veterans would disagree, but that's just the impression I get from all the people I've seen running the mod... And the fact that I haven't seen anyone make a mod for picking noses. :j:

When you start taking fire from your flank and need to get on the other side of low cover quickly, which happens with some frequency in Arma, a useable vault would save your life. Well, it will once they make it so you can't just run around the wall like Speedy Gonzales.

Edited by Fuse
Mistyped Gonzales

Well yeah, I was exaggerating for effect, but seriously there are many other areas of the game I would want to look at first, running vault, relatively, isn't that important. A couple of example of things I consider more important:

1) ability to climb over chest high obstacle

2) ability to shoot from vehicle e.g. the outboards of a MH9

3) ability to roll grenades or drop them over walls

4) ability to cook grenades

... I could write this list all day

Well yeah, I was exaggerating for effect, but seriously there are many other areas of the game I would want to look at first, running vault, relatively, isn't that important. A couple of example of things I consider more important:

1) ability to climb over chest high obstacle

2) ability to shoot from vehicle e.g. the outboards of a MH9

3) ability to roll grenades or drop them over walls

4) ability to cook grenades

... I could write this list all day

And with each point, you would probably get 100 die-hard Arma fans, who will say "no". What is the point of having a new game, if there is no improvement over the last one? Plain and simple, if it can be done IRL, it should be possible in Arma.

I think there should be the ability to scramble over low obstacles. Several times I've found myself on the wrong side of a low wall/barrier, and have had to run all the way around it (or at least that was the only option, whether or not I actually made it...) when "IRL" I would have thrown myself over the wall/barrier. What form that scramble takes I don't know, maybe a short prone position animation while the unit traverses across it... ?

...Or maybe a version of the go to prone ability that can happen going from floor to waist/chest high surface, with an increased time penalty rather than the current go-to-prone speed?

look at this this soldier, he has a full gear and he can still handle a jump, improved climbing vaulting etc.. dont tell me again, its not possible, you have no idea of what soldiers have to do and yea i know its hard.... First go and look for some information before you post smth wrong....

look at this this soldier, he has a full gear and he can still handle a jump, improved climbing vaulting etc.. dont tell me again, its not possible, you have no idea of what soldiers have to do and yea i know its hard.... First go and look for some information before you post smth wrong....

Ive only seen him vault and climb, everyone wants that, you don't need to argue in favour of it. :rolleyes:

Different story when you're carrying a bergen, AT launcher or GPMG.

I asked my brother with actual military experience about this, his response. "Well yea, if you have a vest and rifle you could hop over things and climb, carrying a full load is a different story. Best way me and the lads found getting over cattle gates or walls was to climb up and shift your weight so you fell over and got up on the other side. Looked stupid, but took half the time of climbing. No way you could jump with a full load."

Problem with games is that jumping is more complex then a single action repeated every time you press a button in a game. In real life you take into account distance, velocity, height and the landing (I.E. will I fall and look like a tit) in a moment.

Different story when you're carrying a bergen, AT launcher or GPMG.

I asked my brother with actual military experience about this, his response. "Well yea, if you have a vest and rifle you could hop over things and climb, carrying a full load is a different story. Best way me and the lads found getting over cattle gates or walls was to climb up and shift your weight so you fell over and got up on the other side. Looked stupid, but took half the time of climbing. No way you could jump with a full load."

Problem with games is that jumping is more complex then a single action repeated every time you press a button in a game. In real life you take into account distance, velocity, height and the landing (I.E. will I fall and look like a tit) in a moment.

ya thats true but not every soldier wears a misslie launcher. And if so, they could reduce some movements thats true, too. But I just wanted to show that a little hop is possible too even with a weapon and vest and all the things. Ya I fully agree that if your fully equipped, you couldnt move your ass up. But there are also different squads for. Aussault men, Grenadier, Sniper, Repair men etc. What I try to say is. Your not always fully equipped. =)

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:22 ----------

Ive only seen him vault and climb, everyone wants that, you don't need to argue in favour of it. :rolleyes:

And No! hes jumping aswell if you cant see that, then you didnt watch the full video... Jump is: if you dont touch the bottom anymore. And in this vid I can see him jumping from obstacle to obstacle! they are first jumping to climb then a wall, or Jumping the obstacles down. ppl just dont fall from anything down. YOU JUMP DOWN remember that. And btw vault, jump its for me the same thing... if I reach my goal it doesnt matter what its called.

Edited by blu3_l1on

And No! hes jumping aswell if you cant see that, then you didnt watch the full video... Jump is: if you dont touch the bottom anymore.

If that is the case we already have a 'jump' in ArmA3. :p

If that is the case we already have a 'jump' in ArmA3. :p

yea if you fall down a cliff its an art of jump.. but the "V" button is defenitely not a jump!

And with each point, you would probably get 100 die-hard Arma fans, who will say "no". What is the point of having a new game, if there is no improvement over the last one? Plain and simple, if it can be done IRL, it should be possible in Arma.

I'm struggling to understand the rationale behind requests for jump to be included. There are lots of things you can do in real life that dont deserve inclusion in this game, dancing, farting, handstands, buttock scratching, the list is endless. Now, if you said to me, something should be in the game because it is done all the time in military real life (which is what the game is about) then that would make sense. However, I think we have firmly established that as a rule, soldiers do not generally jump around a lot so therefore why would you need it if you could vault instead.

There may be the occsional time where you think, I wish I had jump right now but balance this occasional need against what jump would do to the game - every time you see someone running, they would be jumping. Its just something that people are used to doing in fps games, I do it myself, it relieves the boredom of prolonged sprinting. I dont think it has a place in this game though.

yea if you fall down a cliff its an art of jump.. but the "V" button is defenitely not a jump!

I was confused with the ArmA2 vault, which has both feet off the ground. However both the ArmA2 and ArmA3 cover about as much ground as a large step, or a small hop, similar to what the guy in the video is doing when he hops around on those little plateau thingies.

All we need is a way to get over/on top of higher obstacles, and possibly a faster fault with a longer recovery time when we vault when sprinting.