Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

Vault animation has a problem of being annoyingly slow. You can jump IRL, you should be able to in ArmA. Not in full gear (at least, not much), but if you're running at full speed you can jump over a small ditch IRL, while in ArmA, you'd fall into it. Not the sort of jump you see in other games, but a realistic system tied to your encumbrance. Also, vault functionality should be expanded. IMHO, they should be bound to the same button. Jumping from standstill is rather useless, on the other hand vaulting when there's noting to vault over is very silly. So, it should be context-sensitive. Depending on where you are, you'll vault, jump or climb the obstacle, assuming your encumbrance lets you. Default (i.e. standing in the open) should be a jump, but if you walk against a small fence, you should step over it instead. Sprinting into the same fence should result in a jump if your gear is light enough, and in tripping over it (and injuring yourself :) ) if it's too heavy.

RnL (Source WW2 realism mod) had this function; You can only leap if you are running. I liked the idea.

Same key would make your avatar climb if you were near an obstacle.

I would like to see the same in Arma3 (and 2).

Running + Vault key = Leap

Vault key + under 1.2 meter obstacle = Vault

Vault key + over 1.2m obstacle = climb

1.2m could something else as well.

Jumping (not to be confused with vaulting) is useless in combat (save for bunny hopping herp-derpery which none of us want), the closest thing that is legitimately useful is dive-to-prone, which is still not jumping.

Vaulting serves to work in most situations and individual would think to use jump in most games. The only thing that should be added is the ability to climb over obstacles, even ones a bit taller than the player, like what is featured in ARMA 2's SMK animation mod. It would be great for flanking by getting over walls but being balanced by obviously making you VERY vulnerable while you do it.

vaulting absolutely fails for large obstacles. just an inch higher than your waist=nope, can't get over. there needs to be clambering over deeper objects or onto objects if the object size allows.

Parkour? In the Army? When did this happen?

I mean the training they absolve to become a soldier! to climb walls, crouch in mud, climb the rope etc.. all these things called parkour!

RnL (Source WW2 realism mod) had this function; You can only leap if you are running. I liked the idea.

Same key would make your avatar climb if you were near an obstacle.

I would like to see the same in Arma3 (and 2).

Running + Vault key = Leap

Vault key + under 1.2 meter obstacle = Vault

Vault key + over 1.2m obstacle = climb

1.2m could something else as well.

Like this - should be basics actually, not a mod.

Hi all

Jumping NO.

Hurdling vaulting and climbing yes.

Please note when you hurdle something your center of mass only rises slightly 6 perhaps 10 inches max, mostly what you do is raise your legs tucking them under you by pulling against the major mass/vector of your body, which then pulls the center mass back down.

If any form of hurdling is placed in ArmA we need the attendant chances of broken ankles and tripping and doing a face plant, the injuries should disable, for reality and balance, and the comedy value of watching bunny hoppers smash their face in and roll around on the ground scream clutching their leg.

Increase chance of prat falls as you fatigue etc.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker
comic timing

For god's bless please no jump in arma, i don't want to see a thing like to armelfield 3 :eek:

People didn't even bhop in cod or BF, it was suicide to do so unless you were facing incompetents, if you weren't so xenophobic of other games and came out of the hobbit hole from time to time.

Bhopping was from older game engines quake/tribes etc where you could preserve and build up momentum by jumping. Arma 3 has improved the clunklyness somewhat but that vault animation is still some of that remaining clunk.

Firstly, I think you need to understand words before you type them (xenophobic) and secondly loads of people bunny hop in COD and BF3.#

SAY NO TO JUMP IN ARMA3!!!

Making climb/jump animation is not a big deal at all. Making it work, now thats a different story.

Vault(jump) animation awaits the ones who can find it and reimplement it :)

This seems mostly ignored, but sounds like there is a jump animation already, just not implemented. Can anyone be bothered to check? I don't have any pbo tools installed.

For god's bless please no jump in arma, i don't want to see a thing like to armelfield 3 :eek:

And that would happen with... jumping? I am confused. :confused:

I've been playing OFP since 2001, but I'd indeed welcome a well implemented jump feature for many reasons :

Arma is not only a "Grunt" Simulator, you can play as civilians in your underpants, and I can certainly jump while in my underpants in real life. Gamewise it only enriches the possibilities and it's important for a sandbox/modding standpoint. Same goes for knives and melee weapons : doesn't make sense in infantry combat, but since you're not always using a rifle (playing against civilians, zombies, hunting for food?) it would be nice to have them included at some point.

So imagine a jump system based on weight/stamina :

- As civilian or light gear : V = real Jump (no shooting)

- As Infantry and med gear V = High vault over obstacles (including small walls)

- As Machine gun and heavy gear (AT, AA) : V = only small vault (as currently)

Ideally the vaulting animation would depend on the height of the obstacle, but that's another level of complexity.

All the "No jumping or I'll quit Arma" people are a bit shortsighted imho. It's not a black/white situation. It just has to be done well, so that it's both realistic AND appropriate AND enriching the sandbox experience.

Edited by EricM

All you people wanting jump, you know you will bunny hop the first chance you get so stop lying and deceiving yourselves saying otherwise. There is no other reason for wanting jump.

Nope, we dont need jump.. we need more optimal way to get over stuff, i feel vault is kinda clumsy

No jump in Arma 3! This is a fucking simulation, not a casual game. You wanna jump? Go on cod !

Are you all r.....s? Sry but i have to ask... how u want to climb trough windows?? How u want to rush forward if u want to suprise your enemy ?run 1 km around the blocks? How u want to get to higher biuldings to snipe mutiple enemys down? Ahh i got it.. with the simple vault option right .. i cant understand your opinion.. if they want to jump then let em do.. if u dont want to jump the let it be and dont jump... and if the jumper is annoying u with bhops then just shoot them down... hoo my good so much whiner here... at least they could improve smth to do all these thing i dont need jump too but if they implemend it i have no probs with it..

Edited by blu3_l1on

At first i was against jumping being implemented into Arma 3, but then i took a step back and thought about everything else that differs between Arma games and the likes of COD and Battlefield. The difference is of course simple! Arma is a mil sim that requires thought, careful tactics and considerable skill, when compared to COD and BF3 which are quite simply run of the mill arcade games with little thought or tactics used and require very little to no skill at all to play - Basically a constant running about and shoot game with no thought for stealth, situation awareness, using adequate cover and tactical planning.

If you used little thought or poor tactics in Arma your dead, its that simple, whether its the Ai or a Player that spots you, your still going to be dead as little thought and poor tactics gives the AI or the opposing Player a huge advantage over you. Even if you jumped about like a sex starved rabbit, your still going to be dead in Arma. This is what COD and BF3 Plays will do, they will run around thinking they can play Arma like they do COD and BF3 and they will try bunny hopping about but still end up dead a hell of a lot more than they would in COD or BF3.

So really those that try to Play Arma 3 like they play COD and BF3 will end up having to adapt to survive or die, or they will simply give up on the game out of frustration born by their lack of skill in game. Leaving it to those of us that love Arma and would use the jump feature as its meant to be used, to clear fence and objects of no higher than waist height. For higher objects we need a climb animation so we can climb over walls like real soldiers do.

Perhaps to satisfy those here that are skeptical the jump feature should only be available for when you have a waist high object (fence/rock/barrels etc) directly in front of you. Similar to collision detection of sorts. Of course i don't know if that would be possible or how long it would take to implement.

Edited by teaboy

At first i was against jumping being implemented into Arma 3, but then i took a step back and thought about everything else that differs between Arma games and the likes of COD and Battlefield. The difference is of course simple! Arma is a mil sim that requires thought, careful tactics and considerable skill, when compared to COD and BF3 which are quite simply run of the mill arcade games with little thought or tactics used and require very little to no skill at all to play - Basically a constant running about and shoot game with no thought for stealth, situation awareness, using adequate cover and tactical planning.

If you used little thought or poor tactics in Arma your dead, its that simple, whether its the Ai or a Player that spots you, your still going to be dead as little thought and poor tactics gives the AI or the opposing Player a huge advantage over you. Even if you jumped about like a sex starved rabbit, your still going to be dead in Arma. This is what COD and BF3 Plays will do, they will run around thinking they can play Arma like they do COD and BF3 and they will try bunny hopping about but still end up dead a hell of a lot more than they would in COD or BF3.

So really those that try to Play Arma 3 like they play COD and BF3 will end up having to adapt to survive or die, or they will simply give up on the game out of frustration born by their lack of skill in game. Leaving it to those of us that love Arma and would use the jump feature as its meant to be used, to clear fence and objects of no higher than waist height. For higher objects we need a climb animation so we can climb over walls like real soldiers do.

Perhaps to satisfy those here that are skeptical the jump feature should only be available for when you have a waist high object (fence/rock/barrels etc) directly in front of you. Similar to collision detection of sorts. Of course i don't know if that would be possible or how long it would take to implement.

Im totally agree with you :) my words!!! I hope they see the effort we take to show them what we are thinking and seeing!

The thing is, as has been said many times, a soldier can't jump over a waist high object when he's loaded down with gear. That definitely falls under the "improved vault" category but is functionality I'd like to see.

What many of us are asking for is a vault option that functions similarly to a weak jump. If you have momentum you could "vault" over small gaps, like the picture posted earlier of a soldier crossing a the ditch, but you don't truly "jump" as that is rarely necessary, very tiring, and highly risky in a full combat load.

Think of how you cross a deep puddle in the gutter. You don't jump over with both feet, you do a long hop by spreading your stretching your legs out. That's what I'm trying to describe.

The thing is, as has been said many times, a soldier can't jump over a waist high object when he's loaded down with gear. That definitely falls under the "improved vault" category but is functionality I'd like to see.

What many of us are asking for is a vault option that functions similarly to a weak jump. If you have momentum you could "vault" over small gaps, like the picture posted earlier of a soldier crossing a the ditch, but you don't truly "jump" as that is rarely necessary, very tiring, and highly risky in a full combat load.

Think of how you cross a deep puddle in the gutter. You don't jump over with both feet, you do a long hop by spreading your stretching your legs out. That's what I'm trying to describe.

If you want to look at jumping in such a limited view then yes however we know things dont happen as you planned. For instance I cant jump over a wall but I can jump grab an edge and pull myself up. I can't jump over waist high objects but I can jump on the hood of a car walk on the roof and setup overwatch looking over a wall. Jumping has its functions and uses more so than not jumping. I think what the op is after is freedom of movement. Yes I am a soldier yes I am active duty and yes ive been deployed so my fellow soldier s please think outside the scope of what jumping is normally quantified as in video games.

If you want to look at jumping in such a limited view then yes however we know things dont happen as you planned. For instance I cant jump over a wall but I can jump grab an edge and pull myself up. I can't jump over waist high objects but I can jump on the hood of a car walk on the roof and setup overwatch looking over a wall. Jumping has its functions and uses more so than not jumping. I think what the op is after is freedom of movement. Yes I am a soldier yes I am active duty and yes ive been deployed so my fellow soldier s please think outside the scope of what jumping is normally quantified as in video games.

Again, all of these situations are covered by the improved vault we're asking for.

Well, the "improved vault" would, if the situation is fitting, result in a jump animation. For example, vaulting if there actually isn't anything in your way should result in a short, tiring jump. Right now, you get "step over" animation even if you're in open field, which looks really silly.

If I have to jump to climb or jump to get to the position its not a vault. Im sure we want the same thing but calling it a vault just for the sake of not calling it jumping is pointless.

If I have to jump to climb or jump to get to the position its not a vault. Im sure we want the same thing but calling it a vault just for the sake of not calling it jumping is pointless.

Haha thats true m8 :D

I just wish for some proper vaulting when running. Stepping over is OK when you're in tactical pace, but when running, you should do it BF3 style. These guys supposedly are soldiers, not cripples ;)