Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

I would like to see the running vault that was modded into arma 2. I loved being able to not slow down when caught in the open. The new physics could also have an effect where you will fall if you catch your legs trying to leap a low obstacle. I'd really like for a BF2 style rope system for infiltration missions. Deploy a rope over a wall then climb over it. That would also allow base/structure design that didn't require every compound having broken fences. There is always a convenient hole!

I got no problem with jump as long as the gun animation is raised and there is no chance of monkey firing as well as it being tied into endurance and perhaps even a disorientation effect on landing if the height is unreasonable. Have to admit when i first loaded the alpha up and started my soldier running towards the edge of the pier I hit the Spacebar just in case :o

So are you just reading the small "no" responses then?

He must be.

KeefehB you can jump in real life you know? /endsarcasm

Vaulting/climbing over acceptable obstacles, yes...jumping? No. What would jumping bring to the game? Nothing. No one jumps in real life like any video game ever, and even adding an acceptable height (1 to 2 feet) would be absolutely pointless except for comical filibuster...which is not needed in ArmA 3. If you're going to say it's needed to get over stuff, a mounting/vaulting/up-and-over type animation function would work a la Rainbow Six style, but not free, unbound jumping.

If you want to get over obstacles push for something like the SMK Movement mod, it already seems ArmA3 has taken most of its queues from it and copied its functions almost verbatim:

Watch at 2:28 for a look at your solution to getting over stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vklOq6KFQy4#t=148s

Just read the newest dayz sa dev blog and watch the video, can we have a little jumping in ARMA 3 too? I remember there will be a weight system in ARMA3 maybe weight can impact your ability of jumping without so arcade.

He must be.

KeefehB you can jump in real life you know? /endsarcasm

I can also do a cartwheel and wag my dick at traffic, neither of which would add much to overall gameplay in the arma series however.

I do however think that climbing over walls etc would be good.

Edited by KeefehB

I like the idea of the variable vault vs jumping. If your running/ sprinting the instead of vaulting you roll over the obsticle. I don't like the idea of a soldier doing a sprinter hurdle over a low fence if they are running. You would do a roll over the obsticle and land either in a prone or crouch.

Addings Quake- or Unreal- jumps to Arma would be the worst bullshit ever. You can already climb over obstacles like small walls and fences. Further, in the real world no single soldier has ever performed such a kiddy-game jump.

However, Mirror's Edge might be a good game for people requesting this.

I wouldn't mind jumping, as long as there was a way to prevent "bunny hopping" like in CoD. I suggest a there be a time limit on jumping, such as after you jump, you must wait a certain amount of time to jump again, to simulate stamina being effected by jumping, as jumping with loads of gear gets tiring very quickly. Maybe, a five to ten second limit is good enough?

Or just simply prevent player from firing when jumping?

How to avoid abuse? Using realism. Realistic jump will get you maybe 50cm up. Animation showing player lowering his stance a little to gain vertical speed will make it impossible to dodge bullets this way (much less than strafing) and will prevent quake-style "insta-jumps" when standing (you need momentum first if you want to defy gravity, right?).

If that's too much alien we can always setle with something like this:

Realistic jump will get you maybe 50cm up.

50 cm's? I don't know about you but I play basketball and I don't know a lott of people that can jump that high (we are not talking NBA).

Now try to jump with body armour, a helmet, a weapon and a backpack.

I think we need to keep in mind that the amount of obstacles to jump on/over is quiet small (atm) so we don't need a real jump.

Make the vault over animation a little faster/smoother and I think that's all we need while running.

It's a knee-high jump, you can basically run over object this high...

Damn, now I feel like an idiot.

We don't even need ability to jump, we only need ability to step on low objects. Soldier simply putting one feet on low object and landing on the other side. Or stepping on low object just to get on it, like getting on top of object for better view, or using car as improvised ladder when in need for balcony or roof access.

It's a knee-high jump, you can basically run over object this high...

Damn, now I feel like an idiot.

We don't even need ability to jump, we only need ability to step on low objects. Soldier simply putting one feet on low object and landing on the other side. Or stepping on low object just to get on it, like getting on top of object for better view, or using car as improvised ladder when in need for balcony or roof access.

Perhaps I am overestemating 50 cm's :p

^^ I think a better question than height would be distance. The function should be one of bridging gaps not jumping over things, Gaps can present themselves in numerous ways but under load the only way to get over obstacles is to step, vault or climb. As soon as jump is used to get over something you lose me.

too many bunny hoppers online if we get jumping... vaulting is fine that or jumping should have a HUGE penalty, like after two jumps your out of breath and slower for 30 seconds (making it not ideal to use to avoid being shot.... aka 'Bunny Hoppers')

The only sort of "jump" I would like is a "fast vault". This being while running weapon down or sprinting, you approach a wall that you could normally vault or 'V' over. The soldier places his left hand on the wall and jump over.

V is all you need. Jumping would be a waste of time and coding.

Vaulting is meant to replace jumping. Which it does.

I would rather have both, so if at a jog or run 'V' would activate a jump/fast vault as slatts said, animation for low obstacles, same as the current step over, but allowing to continue at a decent pace, rather than slowing down.

I'd like to see vault improved, with the ability to vault small objects without fully breaking stride and possibly even to vault over small gaps (creek bed, alleyways, etc). I don't know how often that second bit will actually come in useful in A3, but the vault system should definitely be buffed up a little.

This is what I am asking. Totally real!!!

Don't know why in a simulator we cannot jump!

He was kitted out to guard a street corner in Berlin. Now compare his gear to that of a modern infantryman deployed in the field. Do you understand why they might not have as much spring in their step as a well-rested man with very little gear who sees only a low coil of barbed wire keeping him in under a fascist govt?

NO

Hell no

LAst thing I want is for people to jump around and zizag every time they here a bullet crack near them. Vaulting is fine, it can be improved but this isin`t cod or bf

Jumping could have some use, though I haven't yet seen such place on Stratis (except possibly jumping between roofs as Rye said).

Imagine mines or deep hole instead of water... or aligators:

kamber_007.jpg

V currently stops sprint for more than 1 sec:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8456575438_5f7a8cedf4_z.jpg (172 kB)

Longer jump with run ups. Of course, bunny hoping or jumping with ready gun is out of question. Climbing first tho =).

I can also do a cartwheel and wag my dick at traffic, neither of which would add much to overall gameplay in the arma series however.

I do however think that climbing over walls etc would be good.

No need to get touchy, you actually started comparing oranges to potatoes with those examples. Bad analogy sense I guess. You should be able to jump unless the gear you are carrying is too heavy for you to do so and as long jumping actually carries penalties when you perform it. But I think Nod unit already made a good point no need to repeat what he said...

For jump if its like in America's Army 2 or the jump feature shown in Ground Branch then that's fine. No buddy hopping stuff. I however would like to see vaulting for example, if you sprint and then click the stepover button, you should be able to vault. I wonder why ARMA 3 doesn't have this when Iron Front does even though the developers abandoned that game, which has some good potential.