Sign in to follow this  
Japo32

JUMP please!!

Hello!

Great change in animations and in control. Still see some little strange thing in strafing with little steps. It moves too much maybe for me with a little "zoom" movement. But for sure is better than Arma2!

I want to ask you to include the JUMP animation and function!!!

Yes I know this is not BF3 or whatever.. but in reality you can jump. I know that you have a heavy equip with you.. but if you can run why not jump? Even down hill running a good jump can be done.

My concern about the JUMP is because sometimes I want to JUMP over a rock.. or a wall that is perfectly reachable.. but I cannot. That would make the control more fluid for sure!

And not only think about ARMA3 but all the possible mods in future that would benefit the JUMP animation.

Please include it!! You can make the player tired if jump too much or whatever.. but pleas put it.

Thanks and good job!

V is all you need. Jumping would be a waste of time and coding.

Vaulting is meant to replace jumping. Which it does.

To make it available in the engine code so other mods can use it is a very good suggestion. Just keep it out of core arma game play.

I do think any soldier who can't climb over a shoulder height obstacle shouldn't be in the army...

And I think someone who can jump over a shoulder high obstacle is a bunny.

I do think any soldier who can't climb over a shoulder height obstacle shouldn't be in the army...
And I think someone who can jump over a shoulder high obstacle is a bunny.

Climb != Jump

ArmA3 already has the Machine Gunner reloading longer than the usual ram-bam-boom as before, theres hope :)

No, to climb is not to jump...who said that?

No, to climb is not to jump...who said that?

Well, since you already pointed out an irrelevant feature to an otherwise perfectly fine statement ... you´ve lost me :D

Jump. Swing. Spiderman.

The only jump I would accept is from one building to the other or from one balcony to the other - any interconnected places or small spaces. That won't happen, isn't there and jumping freely through a separate button would just create BF3/MOH/COD crap. Climbing, tick. Jumping, no.

Edited by Rye

Yes I know this is not BF3 or whatever.. but in reality you can jump. I know that you have a heavy equip with you..

That last bit should answer your question. What's the point in adding jump when it will instantly tire you and you won't even jump over something you can step over easily with all the equipment. How often do you see soldiers jump IRL?

Plus jumping will be easily abused for bunnyhopping. So NO.

They can't, they have to graduate a few different obstacle courses.

At no point in any army obstacles did I perform anything that would have a "jump" key analogue in a video game. We high-stepped frequently, which the "v" key does wonderfully. I would like to see Thief-Dark Project style mantling of obstacles, but only with a buddy assist, as it's very hard to clear anything higher than yourself when you're all loaded down with weapon, ammo, body armor, aid bag, the SAW ammo, grenades, map, chow, compass, water, and lots more I won't list - you get the idea.

Only jumping I have done in my 5 1/2 years in the Army is to jump across little streams and such in field during landnav... or drop kicking each other while wearing body armor... I guess I have also jumped from the Turret of a Bradley but I broke my leg... (Insert really long Brigade wide safety brief for months after).....

^ This, no jumping in arma please

im not so sure about a jump but a running hop similar to the ST bunny hop mod would be nice. the only problem that i have with the current option is that you have to slow down and its a slow (but not as slow as A2) animation. with a running jump or vault if you prefer its fast and not as exposing because your still moving.

Only jumping I have done in my 5 1/2 years in the Army is to jump across little streams and such in field during landnav... or drop kicking each other while wearing body armor... I guess I have also jumped from the Turret of a Bradley but I broke my leg... (Insert really long Brigade wide safety brief for months after).....

This.

We need "real life" arguments, because ArmA is supposed to be realistic. No more "because other games" etc.

seems like some "jump" resistant people in here.

Jumping is a physical movement that humans learn in their childhood and thus it is a must have. If jumping hight is determined by weight and fatigue than it will have a realistic output. If i have nearly no equipment on me then give me just one reason why i shouldn't be able to jump to my maximum achievable jump hight? I don't know in what kind of military you guys have been but we utilize not only vaulting but every god given option we have to be successfull and that includes even jumping.

If your type of realism is to stick to the ground then you should better stay at home. No offense but it's rediculous to say "no" to jump.

Have you ever seen soldiers cartwheeling into battle?

Full body armour can weigh 20-30 kg, a helmet a couple more. Add to that spare ammo, rations, water, webbing, boots, rifle, sidearm, knife, grenades, radio, compass, bayonet, spare batteries, flashlight, chem light, first aid pouch, NV equipment, poncho, spare socks, spare undershirt, sleeping bag, gloves, maps, gps, knit cap, water purification, personal hygine kit, rope, sleeping pad, knee pads, elbow pads, NBC kit - depending on the plan and duration of the mission. While it varies with their responsibilities, the mission and its duration of mission Soldiers typically carry 25-50 kg (50-120 lbs) in the field. There is usually very little jumping an leaping typically done in the field of battle - just a lot of lumbering around. A leap off or over an obstacle of any significant height or jumping on soft or uneven ground could wreck ankles and knees in the real world. Arma isn't BF3 ... it tries to be a realistic simulation.

To make things realistic, you could make a player more agile on screen by shedding rucksacks, primary or secondary arms, webbing, spare ammo, armour etc. The tradeoff to better mobility would be less ammo, less protection, and less stamina.

Edited by MissionCreep

This.

We need "real life" arguments, because ArmA is supposed to be realistic. No more "because other games" etc.

Realism doesn't mean to ban something completly. Just because you don't utilize it 24/7 doesn't mean it's obsolete. Even if you only jump once in 10 years of service, then it is viable. Other's could have "jumped" more often in their time in the military. It also depends on your equipment and role if you will utilize it more or less. Also the situation is a big factor in the complete "jump" story.

No one will start to jump with an M60 in his hands and full backpack but without those i don't see any problem.

I had a situation where i had to drop my equipment and only hold on to my gun to gain agility and speed. That was a bloody life saver.

I'd say "yes" to jump only if it could be implemented in some sensible way (ie. height dependent on current loadout and stamina), which would significantly constrict its usage, making it almost useless at 99% of time when the player is in full gear.

So, because of this, and the additional difficulty to implement it (you need anims for jumping in place, jumping left, jumping right, jumping back, jumping forward, jumping while walking, jumping while running, jumping while sprinting, and whatnot, AND all that for jumping with rifle, with pistol, and with empty hands), i'd say "no" to jumping.

However, i'd like to see a wall climbing implemented, and also rolling over smaller obstacles instead of only vaulting (which is too slow in some situations).

Realism doesn't mean to ban something completly. Just because you don't utilize it 24/7 doesn't mean it's obsolete. Even if you only jump once in 10 years of service, then it is viable. Other's could have "jumped" more often in their time in the military. It also depends on your equipment and role if you will utilize it more or less. Also the situation is a big factor in the complete "jump" story.

No one will start to jump with an M60 in his hands and full backpack but without those i don't see any problem.

I had a situation where i had to drop my equipment and only hold on to my gun to gain agility and speed. That was a bloody life saver.

Jumping integrated with the fatigue/stamina feature, i'd like that. But no bunny jumping!

Why would we need jump? I still dont get any idea how it would be helpful. As stated it would most likely be abused by people trying to make Arma more like Cod/BF and used to bunny hop. We can vault over things in our path, so I fail to see the reason it would be needed. To me this is like the people saying that you can't sprint far enough in full gear.

To this statement-

"I had a situation where i had to drop my equipment and only hold on to my gun to gain agility and speed. That was a bloody life saver."

I would like to see more realism in movement, like you have to drop your ruck when you receive contact so you can move. From all the vets I have spoken with they always dropped their rucks so they could move easier when under fire.

And to the statement -

"No one will start to jump with an M60 in his hands and full backpack but without those i don't see any problem."

When would you use some thing like this in game? When you are back at base playing basket ball during down time? I rather see some type of climbing added before jumping, like for certain types of trees and other rare objects. Even then I think you would have to drop most of your gear.

Also if you could get some type of videos link where soldiers in combat are jumping for some purpose your idea might have more merit. This way others could see the value of having a system in place.

Just saying