dslyecxi

ShackTac User Interface (STHUD, STGI, and more)

EDIT: Removed as it was irrelevant to the author.

Edited by bravo 6
Removed as it was irrelevant to the author

Fine work, as usual.

Just one thing: Could you change it, so it's only visible while you're wearing tactical glasses or similar headgear?

Taking off the glasses would be an easy way to turn off the HUD, aside from adding a bit more realism to it. ;)

Fine work, as usual.

Just one thing: Could you change it, so it's only visible while you're wearing tactical glasses or similar headgear?

Taking off the glasses would be an easy way to turn off the HUD, aside from adding a bit more realism to it. ;)

Good idea !

Added later ... I like the menu; great to be able to configure the mod, however you didn't add an option to turn the hexigons off ?

SJ

Edited by serjames

Looks like the STGI code was prepared to be disabled by the usermenu but it wasn't actually added to the menu.

Can we get a hotfix for it? :)

I'm against that.

1. I don't want to have to wear tactical glasses all the time in order to use a mod that's supposed to remove the limitations in situational awareness of pc screens. There's just no need for a narrative approach to justifying the existence of the coloured hexagons (especially in the STGI variant).

2. This would collide not only with my aesthetical conceptions, but it would also collide with mods like LordHeart's Glasses mod, that adds a specific tint to specific glasses. That way you'd have only the option to have a (with the tactical glasses unfortunately yellowy) tinted game experience if you wanted to benefit from the advantages of STGI.

Making this option to be toggleable would be a acceptable compromise though.

I'll also echoes the calls to be able to disable the STGI. If I wanted magic floating hexagons on soldiers I'd enable it in the settings.

V

I'll also echoes the calls to be able to disable the STGI. If I wanted magic floating hexagons on soldiers I'd enable it in the settings.

V

If you don't want "magic floating hexagons" :rolleyes: you can just not include the addon that adds them.

I really like the "fading hexagons" feature. Hated being able to see the hexagon of a group mate who weren't anywhere near me in default ArmA 3. It's not as much of a crutch either. +1

Great work I am liking the new group hexagon indicators. Any chance of getting names of the player displayed under those hexagons when within a certain range, or after looking at a group member for some time? Would make this addon absolutely must have for me. Thanks for the great work!

If you don't want "magic floating hexagons" :rolleyes: you can just not include the addon that adds them.

If I understand you correctly, you have no intention of separating those two addons ? If we want the excellent STHUD, we must also always use the STGI?

If that is the situation, could I ask you, do you have any intention of disabling the hexagons if there is line of sight between the viewer and the target?

I think what he is saying is that if you don't want the group indicators all you have to do is go into the addons folder within @sthud and delete the stgi.pbo. This will disable the hexagons but keep the rest.

If I understand you correctly, you have no intention of separating those two addons ? If we want the excellent STHUD, we must also always use the STGI?

If that is the situation, could I ask you, do you have any intention of disabling the hexagons if there is line of sight between the viewer and the target?

if i understand correctly you can remove the stgi.pbo from the @sthud/addons folder if dont want the hexagons

I think what he is saying is that if you don't want the group indicators all you have to do is go into the addons folder within @sthud and delete the stgi.pbo. This will disable the hexagons but keep the rest.

Thanks for making that clear.

Doesn't it just get put right back in there everytime you run Six ?

SJ

Doesn't it just get put right back in there everytime you run Six ?

SJ

Only if you update it after an update is released. I removed lots of pbos from the mods I've downloaded withSix - mostly without problems.

Hmm, try explaining that to a pubbie "run update across all your mods through this amazing software interface, but not on the following mods... " ugg complicated as usual..

SJ

Hmm, try explaining that to a pubbie "run update across all your mods through this amazing software interface, but not on the following mods... " ugg complicated as usual..

SJ

Play WithSix is not as intrusive as you think it is. It doesn't update your mods everytime you start it. It just offers you an option to update the mods that have been updated by the developers.

We're talking about two files here... It's not too complicated to move two files every couple of months. It's not like STHUD is being updated every day anyway. Play WithSix asks you to update a mod only if there's an update available. And if you don't want Play WithSix to update a mod ever again, change the name of the folder of this specific mod (into @sthud_a3_itsreallynotthatcomplicated for example). After that it will never be updated without your consent.

AFAIK, Six/PWS compares the packed data, not the .pbo files. I'm running mods with some of their pbos removed and Six/PWS are both happy about it.

I place the PBO in another sub folder called whatever you want. Then PWS will recognise that the file is in the mod folder still, but Arma won't load it if its not in the addons folder.

I place the PBO in another sub folder called whatever you want. Then PWS will recognise that the file is in the mod folder still, but Arma won't load it if its not in the addons folder.

Thanks for the tip, didn't know this.

I still don't think this is the definitive solution though. It would be great to have a server-side option to disable STGI for those that perhaps don't want others to use STGI (at least not yet) but do want them to use ST HUD. This would be especially useful for communities (like ours) that like to disable group indicators via server-side difficulty settings.

Perhaps something like:

if !(difficultyEnabled "HUDGroupInfo") then {enableSTGI = false};

This will disable STGI if the server's difficulty settings profile has specified that HUDGroupInfo (vanilla equivalent of STGI) be disabled.

difficultyEnabled

Edited by Goodson

Awesome, let me reboot my game to take this wonderful screenshot :o

Hi Dslyecxi.

Looking through the last few pages of this post, I see a lot of people have asked for an option to disable these new hexagons of yours. I understand that this is your mod, and you can have it however you like, as it's for you and your clan not the public. I see that there is an ALT-Shift-H interface to disable the Radar and Name tags from ST-Hud.

If you are unwilling to add to this interface an option to disable the hexagons (which I would love to be able to do for taking screenshots and videos), would you be happy for Play With Six to host a alternate version of your @ST_Hud_a3 that doesn't include the stgi.pbo for the numerous people in this thread and server hosters to include in PWS repo's, so we don't have to instruct people individually to edit their mod folder contents, or not update certain mods through pws if they don't want the hexagons?

I love ST_Hud, and have used it for a long time through Arma2 and Arma3. I can see the advantage of the hexagons for instructing newer players, but it's a taste thing and I'm afraid for me it's just a step to far out of the immersion as they can appear anywhere on the screen, and ruin photo's and videos.

If you are unwilling to add to this interface an option to disable the hexagons (which I would love to be able to do for taking screenshots and videos), would you be happy for Play With Six to host a alternate version of your @ST_Hud_a3 that doesn't include the stgi.pbo for the numerous people in this thread and server hosters to include in PWS repo's, so we don't have to instruct people individually to edit their mod folder contents, or not update certain mods through pws if they don't want the hexagons?

How about explaining how to remove a PBO in a simple README.txt included in the mod folder? People only have themselves to blame if they don't read it. :P

A nice little sever check on the mod to see if the server has magic hexagons on and if not then clients do not either would be nice.

How about explaining how to remove a PBO in a simple README.txt included in the mod folder? People only have themselves to blame if they don't read it. :P

The thing is 90% of people DON'T read them. So it's all very well sitting back and saying "well you should have read the readme.." but*flash* back to reality, people should not have to touch their @addon folders - that's why we have PWS etc... It's all configured for them to let them concentrate on playing the game, not becoming Mod experts.... For each op we do, we have to add multiple instructional

"don't forget to move your tanks from the options folder"

"delete your TMR_optics.PBO"

etc etc etc and it means that each op at least 10% of the clan population are left out in space unable to join..... I can only Teamview so many players in a day *:(*

It's a shame that mod builders can make it hard for the majority of players who don't come here every day to check on the newest and greatest..

SJ