Sign in to follow this  
tremanarch

Suggestion: Could we get a little bit more 'life' in the world

Also, sorry for going off , topic. I guess it was sort of related, but yeah.

Same old tired retort.

To me, ARMAs AI is about as dumb as any other AI out there. As said above, it's amazing how many in the "community" refuse to concede that other games may be better optimized or have better engines in some aspects, regardless of whether a comparison is being made with ARMA 1, 2 or 3 Alpha.

As far as I can remember, all I had to do with OPF was add more RAM to an average speced PC at the time and it ran flawlessly!

Other games are better optimized. But comparing performance and FPS from games like BF or Crysis isn't accurate.

Other games are better optimized. But comparing performance and FPS from games like BF or Crysis isn't accurate.

That's fine, but why is it when any other game is used as an illustration of a visual effect (or even visual "cheat") it is shot down with the same statement?

If you keep the draw distance and AI units to a more appropriate value, there is a comparison to be made (of course, it may vary from map to map, but that's a different subject). BF3 may have smaller maps, but there is still a lot of data processed and send between players and servers on 64 man map. You have to track all the bullets, rockets and shells fired, all the pieces of wall that are no longer there or had suffered some damage, all the stuff flying around affected by physics and so on. Is not as "light" as some think.

With that said, ArmA 3 looks pretty darn good as it is. Some work done regarding ground textures at medium ranges, some work done on trees and grass, some on the effects like explosions and the sort, improvement on player's shadows, all this will make eventually a very beautiful looking game.

i agree with the need for sheep and cows and more animals in general and that some effects would be nice to look at but i find it funny how people are such graphics whores. you're talking about having access to a whole island (the severally smaller one of two) at all times that has already more enterable buildings than any bf3 map i know like a minor graphical detail. you gotta stop standing around in the editor looking for things you don't like and play the game. while arma 3 is very beautiful already it's not what the game is about at all. i agree that battlefield 3 looks more alive and polished in some regards but what's so hard about accepting the fact that the game is much smaller and also was backed by a huge publisher (EA) that can finance people just to work on small details. that's a big difference. BI is an independent developer and what they delivered so far with arma 3 is at times stunning graphically.

there's something called resolution of detail (actually made that up just now;)). the level of detail that can be shown has to be spread over the area that is accessible at the same time. sure you could fix arma 3's view distance at 1 km just to add fancy stuff but why take away a unique feature to add more distractions you are used to from flashy shooters?

a good example are the "trees" and the environment right at the start of this video when he "crashes" into the ground

i agree there are things that could be added and would make the game look even better but the question is will all the other aspects of this game that make it so great be as polished in the end if BI focuses the limited resources more on irrelevant details? or the other way around. for a change ask yourself what arma 3 has that bf3 doesn't and you will soon realize where all the resources (development and hardware) go.

Just an idea on how to pull off the cloud shadows. When there are heavy clouds floating over the map, you could attach a decal projector underneath them that aligns in the direction the sun is facing them to project a dark cloud shaped decal on the ground. It wouldn't be anywhere near as expensive as the stencil filtered shadows and it would add a great deal of immersion into the lighting and feel to the atmosphere of the game.

Would love to see this make it into the game. Thanks for reading.