Dwarden

Dedicated server - status

* each instance of Client / Dedicated Client (both modes) needs unique STEAM account with the Arma 3 game ownership

Why can't you make a Standalone? It is so frustrating that i have to use my own Steam account (with over 260 games) on our Root server or buy the game a second time! -.-"

Also if use my account i have to disable SteamGuard and without the SteamGuard i can't trade in Steam or use the Steam Market because SteamCMD have a problem with SteamGuard.

Please for god sake give a little priority to linux server support.

Huh? How do you qualify that? There's definitely nothing wrong with Server 2012.

Other than having to pay $600 for the license you mean?

Thats the problem!

We've to pay for the server and for the possibility to have Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition 25€ / month on top.

Thats 300€ (~390$) / year for software I dont want and only need for a3 server.

This is really annoying.

I'm waiting for linux server. As long as linux a3 server has not been released the whole clan stays on a2oa.

while the wiser ones just runs A3 dedicated server thanks to WINE ... seriously is some % of CPU (atm max. usually it's fraction of %) such a big issue?

linux native server will come when the primary issues are resolved in the windows branch

@ Daddybear & all others complaining about "costs" : ...i thought everyone that has at least anything to do with servers would know that,...

but i guess most of you didn't read about the 180 Days Trial for WinSrv2008, right?! one moment, lmgtfy

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11093

And as you state "25€ per Month" ..i guess you are at Hetzner too? Good choice.

Well,... you are allowed, (if i remember it right) for a Fee of 25€ ONCE, to setup your own Windows OS,... ask the support or read the FAQ and stuff...

you are welcome

best regards

Blue1

new feature for server :

We added newly loopback mod for testing. You enable it by "loopback = true;" , added into Arma 3 server config file.

This will allow You to join multiple clients from same IP (and only) as the server runs at!

new feature for server :

We added newly loopback mod for testing. You enable it by "loopback = true;" , added into Arma 3 server config file.

This will allow You to join multiple clients from same IP (and only) as the server runs at!

Interesting. This would potentially allow client instances of the game from the same machine to join. If only steam would allow this.

Presumably this is so we can run a dedicated server and client from the same install?

one IP

Server+ClientN+DedicatedClientN+DedicatedClient-in-headless-modeN

where N means any number (up to maxplayers)

one IP

Server+ClientN+DedicatedClientN+DedicatedClient-in-headless-modeN

where N means any number (up to maxplayers)

Does that work with the current development build we have as of today, or is this one for a later release (from tomorrow, after Czech public holiday)?

i can't really answer that, it might be out already but i will not put hand into fire for it ... if it don't work, wait for monday

Edited by Dwarden

new feature for server :

Thanks!

Well,... (while trying to get a HC running) after adding loopback = true; to my serverconfig on a dedicated, the server no longer shows in the Gamespy-Serverbrowser.

well, that's expected, the loopback mode was made for testing and works only in LAN mode, the server is not reporting to master servers at all (the game is not considered public MP, only local)

thanks for the explanation - just for one moment i thought i could finally get the HC to run anyhow :(

ehm explain, you can use dedicated server + 1 dedicated client on same machine, just make sure you change your steam ports in server.cfg to different than default

So from latest patch .. I run my server and I found battleye initialization in the status window, and a Battleye sub-folder created into my config folder with a beserver.dll into it... but it contains no filters or long, users trying to join were immediately kicked out. Is this an experiment or i'm missing something?

(I had to disable the battleye in the server config to make it works as before...)

ehm explain, you can use dedicated server + 1 dedicated client on same machine, just make sure you change your steam ports in server.cfg to different than default

Yeah - but AFAIK - it is not possible to have the HC (dedicated client) connected to/from a dedicated Server - if you only have 1 copy/license/SteamUID (and yes, of course i want to play too ;) )

Or am i missing something / understood something wrong?

Because - to be honest - my Rootserver is/was expensive enough and i don't want to buy another copy, only to find out what or how much Server-FPS i could gain through this Workaround.

(and no i will not ask others for their steam-accounts as i wouldn't give them mine :) )

thx & regards

EDIT*PS: forgot to mention that the HC-Stuff itself is a ...uhm,...lets say "totaly crazy workaround" while trying to improve Perfomance / Threading / Core-Usages whatever and so on... :j:

Edited by Blue1

you don't need STEAMclient nor STEAMaccount at all for the Dedicated Server ... just may use STEAMcmd to download it ...

you need STEAMclient and STEAMaccount for the Dedicate Client (headlessclient mode) ... You may use STEAMcmd to download and run it ...

you need STEAMclient and STEAMaccount for the Dedicate Client (headlessclient mode) ... You may use STEAMcmd to download and run it ...

Thanks Dwarden,

if it is possible anyhow (without buying a second Arma license to a additional Steamaccount) maybe i haven't found the exact infos/hints "how-to" in all that hours trying and searching for it.

... BUT, it looks like BIS really want me to buy a second copy of Arma3 if i want to use HeadlessClient on the one side - and still want to be able to play/test Usercreated Multiplayercontents at the same time - and thats what i find somewhat "questionable"... :j:

or lets say....

2107675-not_sure_if_serious_2.jpg

Hm, i just recognized that this HC-Discussion isn't so offtopic regarding to "Dedicated server status" because as mentioned before, i hope the HC-workaround shouldn't be needed anymore soon,

due to a lot of upcoming optimizing for a lot better ServerFPS/Multithreading etc you know... ;)

thx & regards

Edited by Blue1

for now you need STEAMaccount with arma 3 license to run any dedicated client (that includes HC) ...

As you keep repeating it, i say again, "not sure if serious" ... ;)

nevermind :)

Edited by ric
saw the tut

updated first post with note about BattlEye anticheat now available for Arma 3 beta DEV branch ...

for now you need STEAMaccount with arma 3 license to run any dedicated client (that includes HC) ...

Hey Dwarden, does this mean, that you have to own a second Arma 3 license/key to run a legit dedicated?

Or can I use my own game client license?