Dwarden

Dedicated server - status

there is workaround for such MP mission development,

1. start STEAM in offline mode , run Arma 3 Alpha, terminate STEAM

2. repeat 1.

join to LAN server

Funky. Will try that.

Funky. Will try that.

hehe, I got message: "Please close arma 3 alpha before exiting steam".. , steam in offline mode. More, I've encountered next big problem. I do have dedicated server rented with arma 3 alpha + steam installed. On dedicated server I can start 3, 4, 5, 6 or more copies of dedicated arma 3 game server but from my home computer I can connect only to first hosted dedicated server. When trying to connect to 2nd, 3rd or 4th hosted server I got message: You Were Kicked From The Game. I talked to guy who rented wirtual server with arma 3 alpha preinstalled and he can't connect to his server. I've tried to help him but it looks like he got the same error: you were kicked from the game. It looks more and more complicated, regards, pawel

2. repeat 1.

join to LAN server

Dwarden, i tested your advice and it does not work ...

... i got "invalid steam ticked received" if i terminate (kill) steam by taskmanager.

(Terminating STEAM regular is not possible without terminating Arma 3 alpha client before)

Could you please test it by your own?

Fred41

Edited by Fred41

2. repeat 1.

join to LAN server

thx but you are still kick off the game if you try to use HC and a client ....

i had no such issue with STEAM in OFFLINE mode + a3a dev build and I could easily test MP mission with both started OA clients while running in LAN mode (w/o any connectivity of server to gamespy etc) and disabled duplicate kick

2. repeat 1.

join to LAN server

... i tested your advice again (with additional kickduplicate = 0) and got still the same result:

"invalid steam ticked received"

while this message occcurs i see in server console the following:

8:09:05 Player fred connected (id=0).

8:09:05 Player fred disconnected.

Dwarden, could be there something special in your setup you forgot to mention?

Edited by Fred41

in the server.cfg comment out the reportingIP= line with ; at beginning so you force server into LAN mode

2. repeat 1.

join to LAN server

Dwarden, thanks for your answer. I tried your advice again with kickduplicate = 0 AND commented out // reportingIP (was already set to "127.0.0.1").

... and i still get : "invalid steam ticket recieved"

In server.rpt i found entrys like this:

Server error: Player without identity fred (id 1001823041)

Server error: Player without identity fred (id 1324983235)

The "id" is changing for each new attempt and seems to be randomly.

I tried the dedicated server (arma3server.exe) and (arma3.exe -server).

I tried this local and from remote LAN client.

Here is my server.cfg just for verifying:

// GLOBAL SETTINGS

hostname = "Test-Server"; // As seen in the Gamespy Browser

//password = "PasswordToGetOnTheServer"; // Comment out if no password required

passwordAdmin = "#####"; // Password to become server admin.

//reportingIP = "127.0.0.1"; // tried all this variants

//reportingIP = "noreport"; // tried all this variants

//reportingIP = ; // tried all this variants

VerifySignatures = 2; // Important security setting

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

motd[] = {

"Have fun"

};

motdInterval = 5; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

// JOINING RULES

maxPlayers = 8; // Maximum amount of players.

// VOTING

voteMissionPlayers = 1; // Tells the server how many people must connect so that it displays the mission selection screen.

voteThreshold = 0.3; // 33% or more players need to vote for something, for example an admin, new map

// INGAME SETTINGS

disableVoN = 0; // If set to 1, Voice over Net will not be available

vonCodecQuality = 8; // Quality from 1 to 10

persistent = 0; // If 1, missions still runs on even after the last player disconnected.

kickduplicate = 0;

//HC

//localClient[]={127.0.0.1};

... nothing special. So i have really no idea what additional "trick" i have to use to make this workaround working.

Thanks for your help.

BTW: Wouldnt it be a better solution to generally allow connections from local client (same machine) to server, whitout the need of steam?

Couldnt this make the live of MP mission developers much easier (no STEAM process kill nessecary)?

Edited by Fred41

BTW: Wouldnt it be a better solution to generally allow connections from local client (same machine) to server, whitout the need of steam?

Couldnt this make the live of MP mission developers much easier (no STEAM process kill nessecary)?

plus one.

Hey dwarden,

a lot active community members would appreciate Freds solution.

I'm not angry about Bohemia using steam and I can really comprehend this step, but things like this are bother the content producing community and people who advised against steam are going to get right.

Freds idea would solve it, think about it.

Last but not least, I dont know anyone who was able to solve this problem with your workaround.

Edited by [LB] boggler

@Fred41 how You connecting the client to server? via directIP or LAN servers or Global server interface screen ?

@Fred41 how You connecting the client to server? via directIP or LAN servers or Global server interface screen ?

... I did all of my attempts via LAN servers ...

(PLAY -> MULTIPLAYER -> ADDRESS (click to upper right corner ADDRESS:LAN) -> (selecting my server, the only one listed) -> JOIN)

result still: "invalid steam ticked recieved"

(PLAY -> MULTIPLAYER -> ADDRESS (click to upper right corner ADDRESS:LAN) -> (selecting my server, the only one listed) -> JOIN)

thanks, anyway I think we found the issue, WIP on solution

+ note: you can already (just checked) run multiple arma3.exe instances without need to terminate STEAM client

Because the DS always starts in public mode and checks client's steam ticket. That prevents multiple connections under same steam account.

You can't start the game multiple times from the Steam client but you can start multiple instances of the A3 if you start arma3.exe directly from the steam directory. Then you can create LAN game and join the game from other instance of the A3. I know it's not the same as to have local DS, but at least you should be able to run LAN game on one PC.

Because the DS always starts in public mode and checks client's steam ticket. That prevents multiple connections under same steam account.

You can't start the game multiple times from the Steam client but you can start multiple instances of the A3 if you start arma3.exe directly from the steam directory. Then you can create LAN game and join the game from other instance of the A3. I know it's not the same as to have local DS, but at least you should be able to run LAN game on one PC.

Dwarden, George_, thanks for your answer and enlightenment.

So if i understand it correctly:

To have a fully working (workaround free) MP developer environment available in the future,

all we need is a DS, able to run in exclusive LAN mode (arma3server.exe -devlan, e.g.).

If so (WIP), this are really good news, i cant wait and thanks again :)

Edited by Fred41

You can't start the game multiple times from the Steam client but you can start multiple instances of the A3 if you start arma3.exe directly from the steam directory.

Only if one creates the steam_appid.txt file (with 107410 as text) in the A3 folder... otherwise Steam will not allow more than one A3 instance even if the exe gets started directly from the A3 folder (so basically like it is since A3 release).

I know it's not the same as to have local DS

Not even close.

Xeno

Only if one creates the steam_appid.txt file (with 107410 as text) in the A3 folder... otherwise Steam will not allow more than one A3 instance even if the exe gets started directly from the A3 folder (so basically like it is since A3 release).

There is no need to create steam_appid.txt in steam game directory, it's part of the distribution (in dev branch).

Edited by Dwarden

small updates on the dedicated server status in first post, one known issue for point 2. and added point 7.

After the Today´s Stable Branch Patch ( 0.58 ) I´m still having problems running multiple Server instances. Clients still can´t connect to my second Server. They seem to be stuck before the Mission Lobby and can´t chat. Is there anything else I need to know or am I doing something wrong ? I thought this was fixed!?

hammerballz, do you have multiple NIC cards on your server?

hammerballz, do you have multiple NIC cards on your server?

I have Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet and Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface in the Device Manager. So no multiple NIC´s here

Did you edit your config.cfg to setup the steam port and query port ?

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.cfg#Arma_III_-_STEAM_ports_configuration

That could be an issue. Does it need to get into the server.cfg where hostname and verifysignatures is or the other config.cfg with "language" and such? I always found this 2 config files confusing tbh lol

Also there are some Default Steamports shown. Can the second Server have 8767 and 27017 as the Steamports for example?

That could be an issue. Does it need to get into the server.cfg where hostname and verifysignatures is or the other config.cfg with "language" and such? I always found this 2 config files confusing tbh lol

Also there are some Default Steamports shown. Can the second Server have 8767 and 27017 as the Steamports for example?

It's the server.cfg yes!

Regarding the steam stuff I jsut done it the easy way

Server #1

Port: 2345

steamPort = 8766;

steamQueryPort = 21016;

Server #2

Port: 2346

steamPort = 8767;

steamQueryPort = 21017;

IMPORTANT: Since the new update I had to open my Server Firewall port (windows) to access services such as gametracker and Playwithsix