Dwarden

Dedicated server - status

I'm pretty sure my server provider isn't going to give me the ability to use task manager on his server. I'll ask, but I have a feeling that it isn't going to fly. Also I still have to have a Steam account on that server - which means either I have to create another account (because I sure as hell am not setting up my account on someone else's server).

So - like I said - "where is the dedicated server.exe" and one that isn't going to require me to either buy another copy of the game or use my steam account on someone else's computer. In other words; like we had for Arma 1, Arma 2 and Arma 2:CO.

Sure there are workarounds for Arma 3 (and I have checked them out) and I give big credit to the people who have done that - but a workaround isn't what the community should be expecting - we should be expecting something that fulfills our requirements without us having to purchase additional copies of the game (or give out our private account information to another source).

I've got the same problem you have. We're working with a dedicated linux server. Cause Windows license ist so expensive. We're waiting for the dedicated server files too. But please keep in mind this ist still a public ALPHA! No beta or release. The system is still under development. I'm pretty sure BIS knows about the importance for the community. Let the guys do there work until that you have to wait like the rest of us or try the workaround.

Daddybear;2380011']I've got the same problem you have. We're working with a dedicated linux server. Cause Windows license ist so expensive. We're waiting for the dedicated server files too. But please keep in mind this ist still a public ALPHA! No beta or release. The system is still under development. I'm pretty sure BIS knows about the importance for the community. Let the guys do there work until that you have to wait like the rest of us or try the workaround.

I'm very much aware of the status of the game - it is that the majority of 'new' players aren't and they want to play Arma 3 - and when they talk to us about it they are confused about why we don't have a server running since we are and 'established' group. My biggest concern about the server.exe is the lack of status updates on it. Dwarden hasn't said anything in quite some time and that is disturbing to me. Also; there seems to be more and more script kiddies ruining the servers that are functioning - and that too is ruining the experience for possible new players.

I really wish the Alpha had stayed 'in-house' some times as it would have cut down on a lot of the issues I'm seeing. I am happy to wait for a finished product, but don't want to loose possible members due to not wanting to switch my teams operations over to an "Alpha" build of the game...

Oh well - Arma 2 is working really well.

sry, I actually posted about dedicated server test run in other thread and on my twitter ... also it was mentioned in Sitrep/Spotrep

new wave of dedicated server test is expected to happen today , join the comm channels (preferably both irc and Skype)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152378-Admins-communication-channels

I hope the linux dedicated server will be at least same speed/performance compared to the windows version. In arma2 the windows dedi performs much better ;(

if you mean IRC we are there , more of the discussion goes on the Skype channel, but ofcours if more people come to the irc channel it gets used too ;)

wouldn´t it be better to only have 1 channel? Just to get every information and less work for you copy pasting stuff^^

first post updated with info, to avoid many redundant questions and wrong theories

hey,

today was the first release of "server.exe" deployed with main game.

is it now also possible from now on to install this server.exe without installing steam ? via steamCMD.... i dont find any steamid or way to do this.

How could i use there the -development branch ?

Edited by nightshift

30-04-2013

EXE rev. 04711

•Dedicated Server files added to the root of the game (arma3server.exe and supporting libraries)

the benefit of DS exe is that you don't need run STEAM client, while with arma3alpha.exe -server you need to

the limitation of 1 instance for DS still exist

30-04-2013

EXE rev. 04711

•Dedicated Server files added to the root of the game (arma3server.exe and supporting libraries)

the benefit of DS exe is that you don't need run STEAM client, while with arma3alpha.exe -server you need to

Sweet! Will it run on WinXP?

^ not sure but since it does not require dx11 it just might... I was able to install it on Windows 2008 server (non-R2) that did not work before with the client files and -server switch.

I have just started server with dedicated server files on Windows 2008 R2 and also there were any problems with -server parameter before. Big advantage of standalone server is no-need steam running. :)

I have just started server with dedicated server files on Windows 2008 R2 and also there were any problems with -server parameter before. Big advantage of standalone server is no-need steam running. :)

Yes that and not having to be logged into the server to run the game

^ not sure but since it does not require dx11 it just might... I was able to install it on Windows 2008 server (non-R2) that did not work before with the client files and -server switch.

It does indeed. Can say it also doesnt like unpboed missions unlike OA server.

It does indeed. Can say it also doesnt like unpboed missions unlike OA server.

Cool.. so runs on XP no problems other than won't load un-pboed missions?

Yep. also seems that config and cfg have to be in root dir it wont follow path to folders. Anyway this was like for me.

Any way around the 1 arma3server.exe per server issue?

Running dev build 0.55

Can anyone translate wtf the original thread is saying in layman's terms please?

..and what the heck if a dedicated client?

also, what does that mean:

30-04-2013

EXE rev. 04711

The way it's phrased, it doesn't make anything sense.

edited: ah, ok, if you add punctuation, it becomes clearer, the rest of the questions remain though. Cheers.

Edited by Twix

I just cant find where it is...

I just cant find where it is...

only in DEV branch, not stable branch

only in DEV branch, not stable branch

Is there any ETA on being able to run more than one Arma 3 server on a dedicated server?

Even a very rough ETA would suffice!

Edited by SurvivalServers