Dwarden

Dedicated server - status

is there an tutorial how to set up a game server? which windows to use which services to activate deactivate, system settings etc?

The Problem is I have one server in my lsit that freeze every 20 seconds for about 150 ms. Its not the DEV build.

On no other server with this mission I have this problem. The Ping is ~15 ms. SHould be no Problem either. Load was low 2 people. 120 AI (Headless Client)

Any hints what could be the problem?

I'm looking forward to the dedicated linux server files!

Windows VPS are so expensive...and WINE is annoying to work with.

^ it can be problematic on 2008 pre R2 servers as well.. requires a heap of stuff to be installed and on a server that's not going to happen.

Not really. Web install of DX and steam is all you need to do.

---------- Post added at 06:32 ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 ----------

is there an tutorial how to set up a game server? which windows to use which services to activate deactivate, system settings etc?

The Problem is I have one server in my lsit that freeze every 20 seconds for about 150 ms. Its not the DEV build.

On no other server with this mission I have this problem. The Ping is ~15 ms. SHould be no Problem either. Load was low 2 people. 120 AI (Headless Client)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-server-on-a-dedicated-server

Not really. Web install of DX and steam is all you need to do.

---------- Post added at 06:32 ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 ----------

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147537-Tutorial-How-to-run-ArmA3-server-on-a-dedicated-server

I know believe me when I say I have tried that :p My choices seem to be a DX remove and re-install (never fun) or wait for server binaries.

Is your mission running a crate filler script? If so remove it and test.

Yeah guess you're shit out of luck on 2003 servers until the actual dedi binary comes along.

Just a quick question though:

Why are you running server 2003 still rather than 2008 R2? Is there a good reason?

Probably a case of ain't broke... don't fix

Edited by SavageCDN

Looking forward to the official Dedicated Servers!

We'll keep following this thread :)

However after some tuning the normal .exe works quite fine as well :)

Would you care to enlighten the rest of us please?

Would you care to enlighten the rest of us please?

There are multiple Topics in the "Arma 3 Server & Administration" Section.

There are multiple Topics in the "Arma 3 Server & Administration" Section.

There are 50 thousand topics in this section, doesnt mean I would like to comb through it. If someone has found a good solid route I'd like to hear about it considering I see a lot of fluff.

There are 50 thousand topics in this section, doesnt mean I would like to comb through it. If someone has found a good solid route I'd like to hear about it considering I see a lot of fluff.

START HERE .. This is actually the first topic I´d check since its the 2nd stickied entry in this Forum ! ;-)

START HERE .. This is actually the first topic I´d check since its the 2nd stickied entry in this Forum ! ;-)

I have actually contributed to that but mostly by floundering around a bit

not much happening on this? I know a lot of groups have created servers with the 'ad-hoc' method but I still think there are some of us who don't want to set up another Steam account, buy another copy of the game and give that information to our server managers. So how about an update on the stand alone servers? ETA? Anything?

I know there is a lot of things going on with Arma 3 (looking forward to checking out the latest update today) but I still can't believe that such an important part of the game is not receiving a high priority.

Edited by 7th_Serf

Feedback from our provider.

"The Arma 3 VPS has used 732GB (0.73TB) in 12 days and by the looks of it that's increasing. Current usage is about 150GB per day of which I'd estimate 100GB is Arma 3. I'll try and get some more accurate monitoring sorted. "

Sent by brasilianfart cloud

Start a new thread Sgt. This is concerning for a server that's not running a busy Dayz server.

Hi guys,

is there any people who have any idea when bis will give out the dedicated server files?

[...] I still think there are some of us who don't want to set up another Steam account, buy another copy of the game and give that information to our server managers..

No need to setup another account or buy another copy of the game to get a dedicated Server Online?? And what information you mean?

From the updates on their website and twitter they seem to have the Windows binary in testing stages. Soon to be released within the dev build. Keep going BI and thanks for the great work!

From what I understand - we use a dedicated server provider; we need a Steam account and a copy of A3 on the server. We then need another steam account and another copy of A3 to be on the headless client computer (this cannot be on the same server as the 'server' after one of the recent updates). If you are running a server on your own computer you can play the 'online/offline' stuff and start it up. I don't want to bother with that as it would be a logistical headache for me and my guys.

With Arma 2 we just 'rent' our server - we didn't have to provide anything to the server provider other than our money you could even setup HC on the same server. With A3 you need a Steam account. With HC you need another Steam account (unless they fixed that) and a different computer.

Hence why I am impatiently waiting for dedicated server files from BIS, I see no need to buy multiple copies of the game so we can run our server.

Please correct me if I am wrong, however, even when the server.exe comes out .. You will still have to "Buy" another copy of the game to run HC... Unless they make a headless.exe :)

Edited by Lordprimate

From what I understand - we use a dedicated server provider; we need a Steam account and a copy of A3 on the server. We then need another steam account and another copy of A3 to be on the headless client computer (this cannot be on the same server as the 'server' after one of the recent updates). If you are running a server on your own computer you can play the 'online/offline' stuff and start it up. I don't want to bother with that as it would be a logistical headache for me and my guys.

With Arma 2 we just 'rent' our server - we didn't have to provide anything to the server provider other than our money you could even setup HC on the same server. With A3 you need a Steam account. With HC you need another Steam account (unless they fixed that) and a different computer.

Hence why I am impatiently waiting for dedicated server files from BIS, I see no need to buy multiple copies of the game so we can run our server.

I have a Rootserver and use the Offline method. It´s only 1 account. I can still connect with my account on the Server with no problem. A HC does not need a seperate steam account. (Runs from my account aswell ).

So you are using your own server in your own house or business? Because from what I've gathered I cannot just simply set up a server like with Arma2 and run it remotely with TC Admin or something similar, it has to have a Steam account attached to it.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

So you are using your own server in your own house or computer? Because from what I've gathered I cannot just simply set up a server like with Arma2 and run it remotely with TC Admin or something similar, it has to have a Steam account attached to it.

So you are using your own server in your own house or business? Because from what I've gathered I cannot just simply set up a server like with Arma2 and run it remotely with TC Admin or something similar, it has to have a Steam account attached to it.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

So you are using your own server in your own house or computer? Because from what I've gathered I cannot just simply set up a server like with Arma2 and run it remotely with TC Admin or something similar, it has to have a Steam account attached to it.

install steam on a remote computer sign in and install A3, install tightvnc on remote compter and on your local computer.

open tightvnc log into remote computer sign in to steam, open command propmt window start your server (make sure you have a shortcut to task manager on your desktop of remote compter) then open task manager and kill steam process.

server will remin running and you can now log into your local steam account and play A3.

after that login in as admin while in your server or use tightvnc to login to desktop of remote computer to manger server via the CMD.

install steam on a remote computer sign in and install A3, install tightvnc on remote compter and on your local computer.

open tightvnc log into remote computer sign in to steam, open command propmt window start your server (make sure you have a shortcut to task manager on your desktop of remote compter) then open task manager and kill steam process.

server will remin running and you can now log into your local steam account and play A3.

after that login in as admin while in your server or use tightvnc to login to desktop of remote computer to manger server via the CMD.

I'm pretty sure my server provider isn't going to give me the ability to use task manager on his server. I'll ask, but I have a feeling that it isn't going to fly. Also I still have to have a Steam account on that server - which means either I have to create another account (because I sure as hell am not setting up my account on someone else's server).

So - like I said - "where is the dedicated server.exe" and one that isn't going to require me to either buy another copy of the game or use my steam account on someone else's computer. In other words; like we had for Arma 1, Arma 2 and Arma 2:CO.

Sure there are workarounds for Arma 3 (and I have checked them out) and I give big credit to the people who have done that - but a workaround isn't what the community should be expecting - we should be expecting something that fulfills our requirements without us having to purchase additional copies of the game (or give out our private account information to another source).

I'm pretty sure my server provider isn't going to give me the ability to use task manager on his server. I'll ask, but I have a feeling that it isn't going to fly. Also I still have to have a Steam account on that server - which means either I have to create another account (because I sure as hell am not setting up my account on someone else's server).

So - like I said - "where is the dedicated server.exe" and one that isn't going to require me to either buy another copy of the game or use my steam account on someone else's computer. In other words; like we had for Arma 1, Arma 2 and Arma 2:CO.

Sure there are workarounds for Arma 3 (and I have checked them out) and I give big credit to the people who have done that - but a workaround isn't what the community should be expecting - we should be expecting something that fulfills our requirements without us having to purchase additional copies of the game (or give out our private account information to another source).

Ah you might use a Gameserver provider then, where you for example pay for slots, right? Then you won´t get root access. ;-)

I´ve rent a Root Server with Access to Taskmanager and what not and I´m administrating it through RDP like a remote Computer. Works the best in my opinion when you have your own 'castle' ;-)

The workarounds may not fulfill the expectations for the community that much, but I think it´s not a big deal to set Steam in Offline Mode after logging into your Account?

Derailing a bit:

You are saying that the 'Administraitor' is going to use your data for his private interests? That would be against any Administrator's philosophy and Laws!

I claim that people are okay with revealing Personal Data in Social Networks, using Smartphones and let Apps use their ridicolous Permissions like GPS, reading your Telephone Contacts, Bluetooth + Networkstate and browsing your files on your telephone and / sd card even though it´s just a Cooking-book APP. People already know enough about you :P

I mean, it´s your decision and I didn´t mean to attack you or whatever (just throwing in my opinion) , but I don´t get why it would THEN be a problem to login your Steam account yourself, set everything up, go to offline mode, login and start the server?

And still... That workaround doesn´t require you to either buy another copy of the game. I guess we´d still have to wait for the dedicated.exe ;-)