Sign in to follow this  
big_t

Up to my Old Tricks again: God like powers of Vision

3rd person is just a cheat. What situational awareness? My real situational awareness doesn't allow me to see around corners while I'm facing the wall.

My situational awareness doesn't allow me to see over and behind stone walls. I can't pick into windows unless I use my own eyes. I also don't see my own body from 4 meters behind.

I usually play on servers with 3rd person turned off, but when it is on it is handy to use it to "simulate" peeking from behind a corner (almost impossible in Arma without being seen), or over a wall.

Also helps when you want to look around while prone in a grass which obstructs your view - you can't just raise head in Arma, you can only stand up or get in crouched position, which makes you a target.

So the 3rd person view helps a lot in such situations, being more like a workaround for lack of movement options, than being a cheat.

Did you take offence on my sarcastic last sentence?

Not at all, just a little frustrating when you acknowledge im advocating its removal from PvP or TvT games only, then proceed to say I want to force the entire Arma population to use 1st person only.

It's a feature that doesn't belong in a PvP scenario.

It's a feature that doesn't belong in a PvP scenario, according to me.

FTFY

Again, you can't expect to force other people to play the way you want them to. Someone else may think 3rd person does belong in a PvP scenario, and it would be absurd to take that possibility away from them.

This again, the removal of an optional component that many people like? The answer is offensibly simple - set up the server. If the option is not set up on the server, petition the admin, you might find it's there because that's how they want it.

This again, the removal of an optional component that many people like? The answer is offensibly simple - set up the server. If the option is not set up on the server, petition the admin, you might find it's there because that's how they want it.

Exactly. This whole topic is pointless.

All I'm saying, maybe you think ArmA is something it isn't, maybe your view of ArmA is too narrow.
At this point, I think the OP's view of what Arma is -- heck, so many BI forums' posters' view of what Arma is -- is actually more narrow than the devs' own view!

At this point, I think the OP's view of what Arma is -- heck, so many BI forums' posters' view of what Arma is -- is actually more narrow than the devs' own view!

Nope just trying to make the game more immersive and fun.

It's more immersive and fun when in 1rst person. If others are using 3rd person to see around corners and over hills then they have an advantage. When it's just a server option then the servers become split causing an unneeded divide in the possible servers to choose from.

3rd person seems to have no real use in Arma other than to determine "situational awareness" which can easily be achieved by holding alt and moving the mouse while in 1rst person, at least in infantry anyway.

Just because someone has been playing since the very first operation flashpoint back in the good old days, doesn't entitle them to scoff at newer players' opinions and think they know what is best for the true arma. Sometimes old habits die hard and it takes and outsiders unbiased gaze to realize what is cheapening the game. (ie omnipotent powers of vision)

If anything make it only available in super newby simple mode.

3rd person seems to have no real use in Arma other than to determine "situational awareness" which can easily be achieved by holding alt and moving the mouse while in 1rst person, at least in infantry anyway.

No it isn't enough, and i fail to see why you can't accept that this OPTION shouldn't be removed. You don't like it ? Don't use it. Period.

It's more immersive and fun when in 1rst person.

...For you. obviously there are still people who find 3rd person more fun. I think third person is disabled at higher difficulties isn't it? And third person does allow for some ridiculous exploits, specially when combined with the crosshairs, freelook and thin walls.

Nope just trying to make the game more immersive and fun.

It's more immersive and fun when in 1rst person. If others are using 3rd person to see around corners and over hills then they have an advantage. When it's just a server option then the servers become split causing an unneeded divide in the possible servers to choose from.

Just because someone has been playing since the very first operation flashpoint back in the good old days, doesn't entitle them to scoff at newer players' opinions and think they know what is best for the true arma. Sometimes old habits die hard and it takes and outsiders unbiased gaze to realize what is cheapening the game. (ie omnipotent powers of vision)

If anything make it only available in super newby simple mode.

You have to realize just because you can see over certain things doesn't mean you're this invincible god with infinite ammo. You are still weak as shit. If I get killed by someone using third person, I'll still feel like that was a fair kill because even with third person it takes skill to actually kill someone. Third person is staying for as long as this series goes on.

Third person is staying for as long as this series goes on.

Which you know, of course, since you own BI.

Sheesh. Way to assume something you can't possible *know*.

Which you know, of course, since you own BI.

Sheesh. Way to assume something you can't possible *know*.

I say that because it would take an act of god to have BI remove third person when it has been in since the OFP age, knowing the kind of guys they are. Besides, alot of people demanded the removal of third person, and guess what? It's back. If they kept it for Arma 3 (Alpha but still, if it's in the alpha it's probably going to be in the full game as well) I don't see them removing third person in their future games.

Also, *Possibly*

BI allows the players to edit their own difficulty settings, they also allow server hosts to enforce the difficulty for their own servers.

So whatever difficulty preferences your subscribe to, you'll just have to come to terms with BI's design philosophy, which allows all of us to set our own rules for each our individual sandbox. Attempting to label regular mode as super noob easy mode god visions whatever, doesn't really count as an argument. If you dislike third person view, you have options to avoid it.

Edited by Dallas

I say that because it would take an act of god to have BI remove third person when it has been in since the OFP age, knowing the kind of guys they are. Besides, alot of people demanded the removal of third person, and guess what? It's back. If they kept it for Arma 3 (Alpha but still, if it's in the alpha it's probably going to be in the full game as well) I don't see them removing third person in their future games.

Also, *Possibly*

90% speculation on your part. There's no actual argument here other than your very subjective opinion and view.

Being a grammar nazi on a non-english native doesn't help your point either.

You may have to come to terms with the fact that a feature that's been in game for more than a decade, which is also present in the alpha will also make it into the finished game.

You may have to come to terms with the fact that a feature that's been in game for more than a decade, which is also present in the alpha will also make it into the finished game.

Wow. I say it again - I don't care about whether or not it's going to be in or not.

I just balk at people who claim to know things they can't possibly know. It's like the guy in class that would get up and say "we all want this" while I am sitting there thinking "No, I don't..."

When someone claims to know for sure about something that they really can't it just bugs me.

Nothing to do with the 3rd person - I couldn't care less. This guy is claiming 3rd person will be in ArmA 156 in the year 2357. Sorry but that's crap. You don't even *know* if it'll be in the beta, so don't claim ultimate knowledge and state facts that aren't any.

All their character animations revolve around this feature, all these animations are balanced between what is acceptable both in third and first person view, so it's pretty easy to predict that yes, third person view will naturally be in the beta, just like it's obvious that it will be in the final version.

Servers and players can disable it if they don't want it to be used anyway, so this is a non-issue for me.

Be happy knowing that the guy using 3rd person against you wont be able to scope to you, or potentially "no-scope" shoot you effectively compared to being in 1st person. So while he believes he has the advantage, when it comes to shooting he is at a big disadvantage.

3rd person also breeds terrible pilots. 1st person, although admittedly harder to land with allows you much finer control and view allowing for lower level flight.

3rd person is ideal for looking at the SCHWEET animations/visuals or perhaps if you're recording stuff.

Unlike map location indicators for your player, or crosshairs, 3rd person is actually gamebreaking. Being able to see around corners without exposing anything is TOO MUCH! Remove it. Maybe make vehicles an exception. There is no reason you NEED third person to do well, it's cheating to use it in PVP, without a doubt.

For people complaining about lacking FOV's/Field of view, it's called FREELOOK. One quick glance in a direction gives you periphery awareness without the magical clairvoyance to see around walls.

Unlike map location indicators for your player, or crosshairs, 3rd person is actually gamebreaking. Being able to see around corners without exposing anything is TOO MUCH! Remove it. Maybe make vehicles an exception. There is no reason you NEED third person to do well, it's cheating to use it in PVP, without a doubt.

For people complaining about lacking FOV's/Field of view, it's called FREELOOK. One quick glance in a direction gives you periphery awareness without the magical clairvoyance to see around walls.

The fact you joined in March of this year makes your argument invalid. Also, there's this thing called server options. It's where the host can turn off multiple things, such as third person.

Set up your own server.

Removal of 3rd person view will not and should not happen.

Might I ask why omnipotent vision that is self-defeating of tactical movement and cautious situational awareness is so essential to Arma 3?

Might I ask why omnipotent vision that is self-defeating of tactical movement and cautious situational awareness is so essential to Arma 3?

Might I ask why you can't play on 1st person servers only and you want to remove an optional feature?