Sign in to follow this  
big_t

Up to my Old Tricks again: God like powers of Vision

hi,

i think a solution for the third person view "cheating" problem could be:

the field of view in first person is like the normal human view,

so BIS should make it possible that when you are in the third person view

you only can see enemies which are in the field of view of first person.

enemies around a corner or behind a wall ... whatever

are invisible in third person. if you walk around the corner your

field of view "first person" changes and the enemies get visible.

but i think its not so easy to create the code for that solution

cheers buddys

Why the hell are people spending so much time arguing against something that is an OPTIONAL FEATURE? Why do you want to constrain something that, OBVIOUSLY has an appeal for a lot of people when you can just choose to TURN IT OFF?

Get a grip, people.

The fact you joined in March of this year makes your argument invalid. Also, there's this thing called server options. It's where the host can turn off multiple things, such as third person.

sorry, you joined too late as well. opinion discarded.

Third person is so sad, if they just replaced numpad'enter' with a high FoV zoom (because apparently people refuse to acknowledge numpad-) it'd be exactly the same, minus the wallhacking features.

Third person is so sad, if they just replaced numpad'enter' with a high FoV zoom (because apparently people refuse to acknowledge numpad-) it'd be exactly the same, minus the wallhacking features.

People don't care, people can choose to use 3rd person view or not.

People don't care, people can choose to use 3rd person view or not.

Default it to off then so those who are ignorant of options don't use it. It ruins PvP gameplay.

Why not just have a zoom out option that widens the field of view but still from the same perspective? That way you can be more aware of your immediate surroundings but not have the advantage of being able to see around corners and such.

Zoom out was there since original Arma...press - on numpad.

Default it to off then so those who are ignorant of options don't use it. It ruins PvP gameplay.

You really think that people go through all the crap of setting up a server properly and forget to adjust the difficulty settings the way they want them to?

This has nothing to do with what's default and not. It has to do that some people prefer to have 3rd person available on the servers that they host, on their spare time, with their spare money. If you deny them that right, then maybe you should start paying their server fees as well?

I really, really don't see the issue anyway. Most hardcore servers have 3rd person disabled. Hell, most co-op groups I've been in during the past 12 years have had it disabled. I like 3rd person, but you're not seeing me whine about being restricted to 1st person on some servers - because it's not my server. What's the bloody problem?

Might I ask why omnipotent vision that is self-defeating of tactical movement and cautious situational awareness is so essential to Arma 3?
You might ask, all that needs to be said is you're urinating into the wind trying to get it removed.

Play matches with 3rd person view disabled. No games? Set up your own server.

I don't like the fact that you can use it to look over or around objects without placing your body into danger, that annoys me. But I do like looking at my character run when traveling long distances...

Yes, 3rd person kills every 1st person game. 95% of the people cannot stand that they might get shot/killed because they don't know where someone is, so they have to use god mode to see.

I think with the new ability to stand in different poses/heights, 3rd person should be cut out from the majority of servers.

Yes, 3rd person kills every 1st person game. 95% of the people cannot stand that they might get shot/killed because they don't know where someone is, so they have to use god mode to see.

I think with the new ability to stand in different poses/heights, 3rd person should be cut out from the majority of servers.

Oh for the last god damn time, third person does NOT make you IMMORTAL! You are still very vulnerable to gunfire and other shit! Also, aiming with 3rd person without looking down your sights is a huge bitch. That should be enough for you. But no, since you don't like it everyone must not be able to use it because it makes you go wah-wah!

It's a game after all, 3rdP is an option. I like it in SP sometimes, also using too much 1st person makes me sick sometimes. As for MP, I play on dedicated mp servers only. But options aren't bad. "Remove n00bish stupid people options" postings are usually just about dick size.

Please don't polarize the server list by making it a server option. Deep down you know there is no place for it in a realistic game, remove altogether.

For the sake of reality, do you apply headshots to yourself after gaming? Not? Cheater.

Why the hell are people spending so much time arguing against something that is an OPTIONAL FEATURE? Why do you want to constrain something that, OBVIOUSLY has an appeal for a lot of people when you can just choose to TURN IT OFF?

Get a grip, people.

This. It's all about "who is the elite" and people love to express that they are the elite. You see that arrogance in every genre and subgenre. I play Dwarf Fortress, I play ArmA (the rpg elite thinks FPS are evil) in COOP but I have not a problem playing slaughtering DayZ PVP mode. Options, people. It depends how I feel. If I play ArmA coop people tend to think something like "reasonable adult"... if I slaughter in DayZ they think I must be a braindead 12 year old child. This is all bullshit.

Edited by tortuosit

This, 3rd person is acceptable in co-op gameplay because the bots can't really fight back with it. People cheered when it was announced that 3rd person was being removed from Planetside for Planetside 2, it's just bad for PvP gameplay.

Because there are few servers like that. And I just feel being able to play a very realistic tactical combat game where NOT being able to magically see around is the only way of playing seem to make a lot more sense. There is no positive reason for it.

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 ----------

Oh enough of this forum seniority crap, I've played since OFP's release and this has always bothered me. Don't flatter yourself because you had a forum account longer.

Because there are few servers like that.

Tough. That still doesn't excuse removing a feature that people want to have in the game.

Tough. That still doesn't excuse removing a feature that people want to have in the game.

Go play a less realistic game then. I want to make it where my enemies can only spot me with realistic levels of caution and situational awareness, not cheat vision. This makes way more sense within the theme of the Arma series. The inclusion of infantry third person is an oversight, a mistake. I have played since OFP so I know what the hell I'm talking about. And to the idiotic arguments that they are at a disadvantage in 3rd because of lowered shooting abilities, most people just switch back to 1st when they are going to shoot anyway. So they have the benefits of both. This is just not in line with what ARMA is at its core and since this is on by default I have to get spotted and killed because of something unrealistic and unfair. If you are to afraid of change or aren't good enough to play properly, then too effin' bad the game will benefit from removing this. AT LEAST for infantry.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

A lot of former/current CoD and BF players that dabble in ARMA want to make pace-increasing, simplifying, and/or unrealistic changes to the game. I guess we should listen to them too.

Go play a less realistic game then.

Who are you to tell us HOW we should play that game ? Who are you to urge the removal of something that can be removed through an OPTION ? This isn't a matter of seniority or of how long time you've been playing whatever game, it's just that this game is a sandbox game, that fits everyone needs.

Hah - this argument is an old one, and will never go away :) I believe the option should always remain, it's a valid one IMO despite the arguments against, which I understand.

My "fix" would be a simple one - for servers, make the 3rd person off by default. That way, when you see a server that has it enabled, you can be sure its very deliberate.

^^Servers shouldn't be set by default to extreme difficulty, BI has no reason to dictate, which server difficulty their customers chose to host. It's all good, people like different things, some are new to the game, some are skilled and exprienced, no need to enforce anything, no need to judge.

Go play a less realistic game then. I want to make it where my enemies can only spot me with realistic levels of caution and situational awareness, not cheat vision. This makes way more sense within the theme of the Arma series. The inclusion of infantry third person is an oversight, a mistake. I have played since OFP so I know what the hell I'm talking about. And to the idiotic arguments that they are at a disadvantage in 3rd because of lowered shooting abilities, most people just switch back to 1st when they are going to shoot anyway. So they have the benefits of both. This is just not in line with what ARMA is at its core and since this is on by default I have to get spotted and killed because of something unrealistic and unfair. If you are to afraid of change or aren't good enough to play properly, then too effin' bad the game will benefit from removing this. AT LEAST for infantry.

I've been playing OFP too, so I know what you're talking about and what you're talking about has always been a part of the game and the game has always allowed you to dictate the difficulty levels as a server admin. So how about we both play this realistc game, but I don't get to dictate your personal difficulty preferences and you don't get to remove the parts of the game I enjoy, when I'm playing casually.

I don't only play ArmA because it's hardcore extreme, I used to be very active in a community that did, but I also enjoy having fun in third person.

The misconception is that ArmA is a first person shooter, super hardcore extreme milsim realism, well it isn't. You can play it in first person view if you chose to, you can also play it as a third person shooter, you can playing as a tactical shooter, as a real shooter, as a RPG, zombie survival and as a large scale battlefield real-time strategy game. BI and ArmA do limit some of you options, because they want to move towards simulated realism, but they've defended third person as a legit feature, no matter how much some try to portrayal it as a god-mode wall hack.

The game is not broken, the feature is not broken, but you have to accept that third person is very popular on public servers and accept that if you filter server by populations, you'll find popular servers on top.

If third person is unacceptable to you, do not join or stay on third person server and finally since first person view is getting more polish in ArmA 3, maybe you're in for better times with more players trying out and liking first person. However the solution isn't to remove third person, third person isn't the main reason, why so many people are buying ArmA 3 alpha, but it is part of the package and always has been.

Edited by Dallas

^^Servers shouldn't be set by default to extreme difficulty, BI has no reason to dictate, which server difficulty their customers chose to host. It's all good, people like different things, some are new to the game, some are skilled and exprienced, no need to enforce anything, no need to judge.

Well, of course, by even having default settings that's exactly what they're doing - essentially "dictating" (a phrase I disagree with) easy settings. I just suggest that the two hardest levels have default settings of 3rd person off. That would be the purpose of even having Difficulty Settings in the first place yes?

Edited by DMarkwick

Now that I agree with. I think veteran should probably look a bit more like this

class veteran
{
	class Flags
	{
		Armor=0;
		FriendlyTag=0;
		EnemyTag=0;
		MineTag=0;
		HUD=1;
		HUDPerm=0;
		HUDWp=1;
		HUDWpPerm=0;
		HUDGroupInfo=1;
		AutoSpot=0;
		Map=0;
		WeaponCursor=1;
		AutoGuideAT=0;
		ClockIndicator=0;
		3rdPersonView=0;
		UltraAI=0;
		CameraShake=1;
		UnlimitedSaves=1;
		DeathMessages=1;
		NetStats=1;
		VonID=1;
		ExtendetInfoType=1;
	};
	skillFriendly=0.85000002;
	skillEnemy=0.85000002;
	precisionFriendly=0.72999996;
	precisionEnemy=0.72999996;
};

I'm not really sure about UltraAI or the skill and precision settings though.

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

A lot of former/current CoD and BF players that dabble in ARMA want to make pace-increasing, simplifying, and/or unrealistic changes to the game. I guess we should listen to them too.

ArmA is not that realistic as some people think it is. It's enough to go and play some Airsoft games and realize how cumbersome the gameplay is thought and how artificial hard is felt by the player. But leaving this aside, a "cheat" is also the fact that your enemy can have better frame rates and better details than you do, a "cheat" can be the fact that your enemy can play on 3 or 6 monitors at once for a greater field of vision and believe me, those 2 extra peripheral monitors DO make a huge difference, a "cheat" can even be the fact that your enemy has a better ping/latency than you do.

There are a lot of things need it to be done in order to guarantee a "fair fight", some are very hard to apply and some down right impossible.

I'm always amused by people asking to remove 3rd person view from the game. It wont happen.

I also use to watch after the corner and then kill these people. It's fun.

Yes. Listen and judge. There are no 2nd class people. Why don't you simply search a clan and play on 1st person servers? Why don't you set up your own?

Aside from this. You think you are elite? I know a lot of people with academic background, who seem to think gamers in general are kind of lazy scum. (They won't say that, the same as you won't say that about COD gamers). I'm having a hard time as a gamer with them. Do you think they should forbid gaming in general? Because gaming in general is not realistic?