Sign in to follow this  
big_t

Up to my Old Tricks again: God like powers of Vision

I can magically see around corners, look over hills when approaching enemies, and get a god like view of the battlefield Via 3rd person. Heaven help my nubile mortal adversary stuck in "real" mode and only using 1rst person.

Why, Just why… Please tell me the main reason why 3rds person even exists?

Military simulator: realism, awesome sfx, tactics, realistic ballistics, life like maps, authenticity of weapons and damage,,, & god like ability to see around corners,,, (facepalm)

Please don't polarize the server list by making it a server option. Deep down you know there is no place for it in a realistic game, remove altogether.

It's there because 1st person is not realistic either. You don't get any 'sense' of your surroundings..limited FOV.. I could go on.

If you make missions you can script in a force 1st person view (or can you do this in cfg file somewhere??)

It's the same as the argument against things like st_hud... "oh noes radars!!!" when in real life you have many more indicators (smell, feel, etc) that cannot be replicated by a video game.

Edited by SavageCDN
Ninja'd

I can magically see around corners, look over hills when approaching enemies, and get a god like view of the battlefield Via 3rd person. Heaven help my nubile mortal adversary stuck in "real" mode and only using 1rst person.

Why, Just why… Please tell me the main reason why 3rds person even exists?

Military simulator: realism, awesome sfx, tactics, realistic ballistics, life like maps, authenticity of weapons and damage,,, & god like ability to see around corners,,, (facepalm)

Please don't polarize the server list by making it a server option. Deep down you know there is no place for it in a realistic game, remove altogether.

If you're playing PvP, then yes, 3rd person view should be disabled. However, taking it out of the game completely is ridiculous. It is a feature that can be turned on and off in the difficulty settings, it's as simple as that. If you don't like it, don't use it.

If you're playing PvP, then yes, 3rd person view should be disabled. However, taking it out of the game completely is ridiculous. It is a feature that can be turned on and off in the difficulty settings, it's as simple as that. If you don't like it, don't use it.

But my enemies will be using 3rd person and have an unfair advantage. I don't want them to use it either.

But my enemies will be using 3rd person and have an unfair advantage. I don't want them to use it either.

Live with it. Or play on servers that disable it.

Because of situational awareness.

Why not just have a zoom out option that widens the field of view but still from the same perspective? That way you can be more aware of your immediate surroundings but not have the advantage of being able to see around corners and such.

Because your screen would look bizarre and everything would be warped like an acid trip, that's why.

Why not just have a zoom out option that widens the field of view but still from the same perspective? That way you can be more aware of your immediate surroundings but not have the advantage of being able to see around corners and such.

Press - on your Num Pad. It's already a thing.

It's in there because it's a game and you don't have all the awareness as in real life. And... it's a game.

If there wasn't 3rd person I probably wouldn't buy it because it would feel too close to alot of other FPS's. Shooting def is right in 1st person, but moving around is better for me in 3rd.

Play on servers with difficulty above regular, some veteran difficulty servers force first person, all expert servers have first person only.

It's just hilarious when you get on a PvP type server (wasteland etc) and find out you can use tactical view as a squad leader.

Dont know why so many people seem to need 3rd person, especially in PvP type games, really does ruin the immersion and damage gameplay.

just go into options and take the 3rd person switch button off, so simple^^

1st person doesn't have the extent of peripheral vision required for situational awareness. I real life you can avert your vision by about 45 degrees in all directions just by rolling your eyeballs. In FPS games, your entire head, your upper body and sometimes your whole body needs to turn to avert your vision. You lose the ability to revert left-right-left or up-down-up in a near instant using eyeball movement. 3rd person view corrects for this, where instead of staring at the centre of the screen and moving your head so you place the object in the center, you are able to scan the entire scene with your own, real, eyeball movement only.

Try scanning everything in front of you by fixing your eyeballs and moving only your head. Your ability to detect and react to things outside of your centre of gaze is greatly compromised.

It's just hilarious when you get on a PvP type server (wasteland etc) and find out you can use tactical view as a squad leader.

Dont know why so many people seem to need 3rd person, especially in PvP type games, really does ruin the immersion and damage gameplay.

Tactical view in Arma is different from 3rd person which is more limited .

Edited by MissionCreep

If you have 3rd person and someone else has 3rd person and you use it to your advantage then that's their loss. It's not one sided because everyone has the same tools at their disposal. Shut up and move on.

just go into options and take the 3rd person switch button off, so simple^^

What will that achieve other than putting yourself at a disadvantage? Needs to be forced server side.

What will that achieve other than putting yourself at a disadvantage? Needs to be forced server side.

So only play on servers that have it forced. Why is this so complicated?

Most server admins for whatever reason leave 3rd enabled, its near on impossible to find one with decent PvP settings.

Well that problem falls on the shoulders of the people running the server, not BIS. These BIS games have always been dominated by coop. I would say 90% of the games being played since 2001 were coops. With the arrival of new, popular game modes such as Wasteland and DayZ, more people are having PvP experiences. That said, the original post was stating that BIS should remove 3rd person from the game, which is not going to happen and in my opinion, is a ridiculous request.

Sure removing it from the whole game is a bit too far, it doesnt bother me how other people enjoy the game privately, assumed the OP was a PvP type player.

But I think asking BIS to remove it from MP, except for maybe coop, is not all that ridiculous.

This is what I said in OP, it forces polarization on the server list. So you are limited to half (or whatever the ratio) of servers to choose from.

This is what I said in OP, it forces polarization on the server list. So you are limited to half (or whatever the ratio) of servers to choose from.
I dont understand why is that a problem?

Would you also allow for only one specific mission to be hosted on servers? because different game types, or missions are causing "polarization on the server list" too.

Nope.

If you remove the 3rd person from the game, or even any mode, then we'd get threads where someone demands that it needs to be re-enabled. And I tend to agree, 3rd person is a nice thing to have around.

You can't find a PvP server that forces it off? Tough. That doesn't mean that the possibility of having it should be removed from those who like it.

every serious arma PvP server i played on so far had 3rd person disabled. i hope this "culture" will be continued. i think there should always be the option for 3rd person. i wouldn't want to play on a PvP server where not even the admin wants there to be a realistic competition and challenge anyways.

i find those reality based arguments funny though.

1st person doesn't have the extent of peripheral vision required for situational awareness. I real life you can avert your vision by about 45 degrees in all directions just by rolling your eyeballs. In FPS games, your entire head, your upper body and sometimes your whole body needs to turn to avert your vision. You lose the ability to revert left-right-left or up-down-up in a near instant using eyeball movement. 3rd person view corrects for this, where instead of staring at the centre of the screen and moving your head so you place the object in the center, you are able to scan the entire scene with your own, real, eyeball movement only.

no one would ask for 3rd person if it wasn't already part of the armaverse since almost every shooter is restricted to 1st person anyways. it's a common genre decision. and looking over walls and around corners is much more unrealistic than having restricted view compared to real life (this comparison makes me laugh everytime). arma has also something that no other "shooter" has. the ability to look around you with ALT.

people discussing this topic like that should go play on cerberus5 arma PvP server and get owned. playing 1st person doesn't feel weird or restrictive at all and real pros put it to good use.

having said all this i'm not against third person at all. just some thoughts on the topic.