Sign in to follow this  
astast

astast: WIP Thread

you are right it would, it's just and i don't mean to offend anyone by saying this just stating my point of view, I belive i remember him saying that he edited the RHIB model from arma 2and that it isn't 100% exact so i would like to make one from scratch.

You are correct, I started with the RHIB model since the sample already had the important pieces to make the model... to me that's easier than starting with File-New :D I altered the hull to the correct shape of the SOC-R boat by editing the points based on the available pics and line drawings available. But I didn't make it from scratch! :)

One thing you'll likely encounter is the sheer number of weapons on the boat means you'll hit the polygon limit in A2. I had to limit some of the details on the guns to stay under that limit. I wanted to model the twin-mounted M240 but didn't have enough polys! LOL Hopefully when the A3 model tools are released we'll have more polys to work with. I fully intend to port my stuff to A3. I did experiment with the SOCR boats as-is and the multiple turrets didn't work correctly, presumably due to the inheritance from the A2 RHIB tree. I'd REALLY be interested in knowing when the A3 tools release.

There are plenty of variations of this boat that can be modeled... the more the merrier! :cool:

OT: That 3DCadBrowser website is interesting... lots of models available there! ... although you can't really do anything but give them models unless you pay :(

Edited by hcpookie

Did you proxy the weapons on the boat? that saves a lot of polys and you can also have details in proxys. at least that is what i was told by Konyo

No, the problem with proxy weapons is that they aren't animated. I asked that very question in the edit forum and there doesn't seem to be a way to animate a proxy.

You could proxy them... you'd have to be very creative on how you configure the proxy model. You could proxy the non-moving pieces and then model only the animated pieces "in-model". E.g. for the M2 you could make a new proxy that contains only the weapon body and handles. THEN proceed to model the ammo belt, top cover, magazine, barrel, charging handle, trigger, and any other moving pieces I can't remember offhand. So that would remove the poly count for whatever the un-animated parts are made of... perhaps a few hundred polys?

To me the proxy trick would only be useful if you are really hitting the top limit. Using the bump mapping for some of the detail is very useful in this situation. Also I'm not sure how the DamageHide animations would be affected by using proxies. That may not be an issue. That is the only way I can think of to make good use of proxies and keep all the animations. I was keen to ensure all the ammo belts, top covers, etc. were fully animated on my SOCR's. ROYAL PITA! LOL

lol well i'm going to let Konyo proxy the hell out of my model when it is ready and it will be his problem.

Since you have been working on your SOC-R's more than i have would you by any chance know how the dual m240's are feed with the rounds? it's not the left side gun i'm thinking about here but the right side gun does the rounds go under the gun and up to the round intake? (or whatever it is called)

Thanks Robert :) had an idea that was how they did it, just seemed too easy :)

Edited by astast

I just wanted to show how the helmet is progressing i have done a lot to it today finished most of the visor assembly (Can't decide if it is done or not) made the visors aswell hope they can be animated so you can decide if you want it down or up both for clean or dark visor, i also made a battery pack for it which is an anvis or whatever i used a few model parts made by JeffersPang for this again like the connector of the wires on that goes over the top of the helmet, and then modeled around it. I have also started adding the last details like screws, holes etc tomorrow i will make the mic and hopefully the faceshield (I have to admit i hate the look of the faceshield but we want maximum reality so i guess i need to make it ;()

Feedback_Needed_s.jpg

(Click for large image)

*Note that the anvis nvg mount is made by JeffersPang.*

Between your skill, fast work, amazing end results and your humble attitude you

could really made a great entertaining stream.I'm sure lots of people would find

watching you modeling in real time very inspirational : D

Thanks for that info however i don't think army helicopter pilots still use the one piece flight suit i did find a picture of some pilots in a uniform that looked like a standard acu but it wasn't an acu it was a special pilot version it had ucp camo btw. i assume the current soar units have the same uniform as the the other army pilots?

Correct, we use what's called A2CUs which are fire retardant ACUs with zippers on all of the pockets. There's also a waist strap on the A2CU top. You're correct with that assumption about SOAR.

http://www.us-army.cz/files/a2cu1%5B3%5D%5B1%5D.jpg

http://www.us-army.cz/files/a2cu4%5B2%5D%5B1%5D.jpg

http://www.lgopsmilitarysurplus.com/images/products/AIRCREW%20PANTS.jpg

also thanks for the nice comment enex although i'm not a nativ speaking american or brit so it would just be no good for everyone plus some of these things i have done to it takes some time and i tend to having breaks and they turn into countless hours doing other things :P but thanks again :)

Edited by astast

Here is pakol i hope this can inspire someone to maybe wanna go into making some afghan units for arma 3 :) but it's also for the joy of the rest of the community ;) i will release it later today (hopefully) a little testing is needed and i only just got the textures from Fluttershy now i'm sending the textures to stiltman who will finish it.

http://gyazo.com/936f57bf1ae86e60519a2620ccc50e99

Regards

also thanks for the nice comment enex although i'm not a nativ speaking american or brit so it would just be no good for everyone plus some of these things i have done to it takes some time and i tend to having breaks and they turn into countless hours doing other things :P but thanks again :)

I'm neither native english speaker, but it doesn't stop me with talking to people from all over the world.I don't know if you recall the other streamer that model the weapons,

was it SCAR I think?My point is he felt no need to talk he just played music in background and do the job.He get amazing response not only from fans but from devs as well ;)

Hopefully you will take attitude of let's first try it first and then see how it feels/looks like. : D

I'm neither native english speaker, but it doesn't stop me with talking to people from all over the world.I don't know if you recall the other streamer that model the weapons,

was it SCAR I think?My point is he felt no need to talk he just played music in background and do the job.He get amazing response not only from fans but from devs as well ;)

Hopefully you will take attitude of let's first try it first and then see how it feels/looks like. : D

I'm still very unexperienced and that is not just me being humble but also me giving you some hard facts. i would need to be a pro to even feel like i should do something like it. In another year we could maybe talk about it but i don't think that will happen neither since i'm quitting modeling for some time soon and might not return.

I'm still very unexperienced and that is not just me being humble but also me giving you some hard facts. i would need to be a pro to even feel like i should do something like it. In another year we could maybe talk about it but i don't think that will happen neither since i'm quitting modeling for some time soon and might not return.

Hey, as always, nice job on the stuff that you've posted here lately.

Now, I don't really think that the fact that you're "unexperienced" or not a native speaker would in any way affect a possible stream in a negative way. What you've shown here so far is looking simply amazing and I'd personally be really interested in taking a closer look at your workflow as I am really personally really unexperienced when it comes to modelling. I think it would really help many people who are just starting out to watch a more experienced modeller like you do his thing so that they could learn from it.

But, after all it's your call. Also, mind me asking why you're quitting modelling?

Hey, as always, nice job on the stuff that you've posted here lately.

Now, I don't really think that the fact that you're "unexperienced" or not a native speaker would in any way affect a possible stream in a negative way. What you've shown here so far is looking simply amazing and I'd personally be really interested in taking a closer look at your workflow as I am really personally really unexperienced when it comes to modelling. I think it would really help many people who are just starting out to watch a more experienced modeller like you do his thing so that they could learn from it.

But, after all it's your call. Also, mind me asking why you're quitting modelling?

I'm going to take an extra specialized highschool year or something that is similar to it and i will be living on the school (not a boarding school neither). the only times i will have time to model is every fourth weekend due to the distance between my home and the school.

But i guess you are right about the livestream i could have used that too and still can when i was learning (still is) i will think about it :)

I would love to meet you in real life.Cheers astast.

lol i'm not going anywhere for before in a month or something :)

*Edit*

I released the Pakol hat, for the download go here enjoy :)

Edited by astast

Nice helmet, I didn't expect you to see more pics. You must be busy with your different projects.