Sign in to follow this  
Winfernal

ArmA 3 is a Beacon of Light

That is pretty much every thought i was thinking. Well said my friend. And BH Keep up the good work. This game is gonna be worth the wait at the end im sure of it.

Hi, i don't see that "beacon of light" that the man speaks of; i see alot of obscurantism from the developers, not answering about things that had been asked by many, months ago; neither i'd seen 'em talking clearly about what they want and where they want to go with their game. What are the big changes on the playability, what's the improvement on the game's performance, game engine and game's dynamics.

I see few to none relevant info coming from BIS, at least on this (their) forum... i fail to see nothing but a graphic make up, the same lifeless islands, no grass on scopes, stop to swap weapons...!?, no female soldiers, they had there a chance to innovate and write their name; but nooo..!! let's just make the same, add 50 new functions over the time (read:years) with a missions editor where you've to be an advanced or at least very good programer/scripter to make it work (SP or MP), by the way... is there a working 3D editor..?!, with layers...?, where you can place a unit where ever you want and he/she will act half normaly to the fire or NME contact..??, no..!? "oohh, whata surprise...". I just see a graphic make up, no beacon of light and few newer possitive things; at least as official or confirmed info in here. Stop sucking up to BIS and be realistic; i don't see a real reason for your hype, there're various obvious mistakes or plain fails that don't have an excuse, with all that the addon/mod makers has made over the years for the BIS combat games... and they don't even add a 15% of all the improvements made by the so called "community" to their games, to add new features and functionalitys; working ones that improve the gameplay and the game's possibilities, as a 3D editor that even morons like me can work with. I almost take all that hype as an insult, as i don't see it coming from any real or good enough reason. I feel very dissapointed with what i've seen and know until now of the ArmA3. Let's C ya

The game's optimization is pretty much the opposite of a beacon of light.

^^^Lol @ harbingers of doom. Alphas are never fully optimized as that is the nature of 'WIP'. And it's not "sucking up to BI" to applaud them for not completely selling out like just about every other PC gamer's favorite franchises. They did listen to the complaints of a clunky animation system, better reticules, physics etc... Of course in a sandbox game -there are literally millions of opinions of what facets of the game should be improved -is it realistic to think that this 1 superdooper special game team should give you the 'everything game' in a fully optimized way while still in Alpha?

Get real.

to applaud them for not completely selling out like just about every other PC gamer's favorite franchises.

This ^

You know, they could have decided to go after the cod crowd just like D.I.C.S.

Let's C ya

I'd like to politely suggest that this is the wrong thread to post complaints in.

Okay so I'm having a ball in the Alpha. Here's the thing: I feel like the limited content in the Alpha (limited weapons, vehicles and one island) is value for money. Like from now on if BIS didn't release a single update/patch/expansion/content for Arma 3, I would feel like I got value for money.

For that reason I will be buying every DLC, expansion etc etc to further support BIS and their excellent business practices and development ethic. Oh, and I sold all of my EA shares this week :D no j/k.

Oh and the dress-up GI Joe type mission that Dyslexci invented is so awesome!! It makes you realise how powerful the Arma engine is. Its like all my childhood playing soldier dreams materialised!!

http://dslyecxi.com/arma-3-paper-doll-gear-selector/

@wipman

You can call it (or me) wathever you want but I see nothing wrong giving praise to a company with modus operandi like BIS that...

a. Gives continued support and free content/patches to released titles over many years (even decade if we count last OFP patch!). Not to mention the free modding tools and free dedicated servers for both win and linux.

b. Lets who ever want's to participate in their beta testing programs (now also alpha) and not just a select few. This without filling in NDA's or anything else bureaucratic BS, just post your input/concern in assigned thread or even better in the CIT/feedback tracker.

c. Have their programmers (lead included) directly communicate with their customers trying to solve issues etc.

d. Listen to customer input (that doesn't mean they implement everything everyone mentions).

e. Stays independent and do not sell out and also continue to support PC's as their main platform.

f. Do what they have been doing the past 15+ years because it's clearly their passion and not mainly in it for the money. Of course like every other company they must make some proffit to pay salaries/R&D/new equipment/rent/ etc. and stay afloat.

If you know any other company in the simulator genre that have same/similar way of doing business please let me know since I haven't found anyone else than BIS. I notice some companies are improving but still have ways to go...

Regarding "developers not answering..." I prefer to have them working on the project instead of participating in forum wordfights trying to explain everything to everyone, and why should they, it's their call not mine and not yours.

Is the ArmA series perfect? No, very few things in life are, but it is the best thing available when it comes to combined arms simulators in open 3D worlds. Instead of seeing the glass half empty like you I try seeing it as half full and remember, it's still very early days when it comes to A3.

Cheers!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

Early days? What are you on about? The game is on a engine with the same flaws as the previous titles, and I'm not talking about optimisation of mutli core CPUs.

Early days...I appreciate your stance on a few matters, but they don't make sense.

BIS are about making money ffs, wake up. Anyway this game isn't alpha. It's just the right word to use to market the game, sounds better than beta, or is that beta than better?

Am I the only one who uses his brain?

They make games about simulating war and they're a business out to make money. Which is fine.

I endorse this product and/or service!

Seriously Bohemia, as a longtime player of the Arma series I have loved these games at first sight. They might have bugs and feel a tad clunky. But no other game can come remotely close to the scope and freedom that Arma offers players! Not to mention the modding and what may be the most dedicated community in gaming.

It's just amazingly cool to have seen DayZ take off and push Arma2 into the spotlight, not to mention the huge success so far of Arma3! Totally deserved!

Single tear*

That was beautiful!

But seriously great work Bohemia Interactive and the ArmA III Dev Team!

That's exactly why I purchased the Supporters pack.

There is no doubt you're flying the flag for true PC games, high and proud.

Thank you for staying loyal to your fans.

praise has its place, but right in the middle of an unfinished piece of software? i'm afraid i can't quite jump into this flattery fest just yet.

there's some very valid concerns voiced over the past few pages regarding bis's process. i really hope they get them ironed out because they have been plaguing this series since the beginning.

praise has its place, but right in the middle of an unfinished piece of software? i'm afraid i can't quite jump into this flattery fest just yet.

there's some very valid concerns voiced over the past few pages regarding bis's process. i really hope they get them ironed out because they have been plaguing this series since the beginning.

As has been said before: criticism has it's place. A thread specifically made to say how much we like the Alpha is most definitely not it. People need to stop trying to pick fights in the few positive threads we have.

It's so refreshing to have a game company not trying to sell us DLC's even before the game is out or memberships/annual passes for gimmick stuff. It's also very nice to have them allowing and supporting modding since day 1. Also, the community is great...one of the very rare forum where people don't cry and whine about every damn aspect of the game. (diablo 3 forums, battlefield 3 forums... i'm looking at you)

I've found my new home I think haha!

Very well said! ArmA2/ArmA3 = Real PC Game

So far I have recruited 11 of my friends to purchase ArmA3.

(2 of them got the supporters edition)