Sign in to follow this  
gimpymoo

Ability to keep map on a secondary display while playing?

I want to out the "live" map to a secondary display while playing.

Can this be done?

It could be done with mods i guess, but the whole idea of arma is to create an authentic millitary experience, including things like no having two sets of eyes (looking at map while driving/playing) and servers would probably disallow it.

Would be nice to have it displayed in a miniscreen ingame, say attached to your characters wrist. That way while ads, your map would always be visible.

It could be done with mods i guess, but the whole idea of arma is to create an authentic millitary experience, including things like no having two sets of eyes (looking at map while driving/playing) and servers would probably disallow it.

I have paid my money.

If it is just me and some mates on our own server, what is the problem

I should be able to play the game how I see fit as to maximise my enjoyment, not play it how someone else "thinks" it should be played.

It is this kind of "elitetism" within the Milsim commuinity and how they think their way of playing must be better than anyone elses.

Edited by Gimpymoo

I have paid my money.

If it is just me and some mates on our own server, what is the problem

I should be able to play the game how I see fit as to maximise my enjoyment, not play it how someone else "thinks" it should be played.

It is this kind of "elitetism" within the Milsim commuinity and how they think their way of playing must be better than anyone elses.

So you should be able to play the game as you see fit, but if the Milsim community want's to do the same thing on their servers they are elitist?!?!

I don't understand your point of view at all.

You dont have to understand, it is just my point of view :)

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:50 PM ----------

You are supposed to play the game as it is intended, if this doesn't fit you well your playing the wrong game ^^

So no ultra realism mods then?

I'm too wishing for this a long time ... those who want more realism mustn't use it, it's that simple. I enjoy playing the game but I'm not always confident with orientation in virtual worlds and I very depend on maps (also in other games). Nothing I can change here on my part, that's just how my brain works. So, for me, this would be a very very welcoming addition.

Equiping a GPS, then pressing RIGHT CTRL + M (must be RIGHT ctrl, left won't work) will bring up a minimap. Although for some reason it sticks it in the middle of your screen at the moment.

ARMA 2 had this feature too.

If you really want one,

-Enter game

-Go to sandbox editor

-Open map

-Adjust map to see everything

-hit print screen

-open paint

-paste

-save

-open file put it on second screen

-???

Profit

The above worked for me in with Arma II but the game only is on one monitor not both but I do not have a fully detailed map just a area and can judge where I go.

As for those guys who say "its not how its meant to be played" that statement doesn't really hold up when BI themselves have given and will eventually give Arma III digital copies of the maps to those like me and other who purchased similar deals. TS and Vent and other third party programs also fit in the same cateogry yet very much used along side Arma in various servers.

I haven't played around with a GPS yet but that essentially was a mini map for in game in Arma II.

• Haha 1

A2 had a very annoying issue where the GPS turned itself off every time you used the gunsights, requiring you to RCtrl+M again after. Hopefully this is changed in A3.

I agree that we should be able to have the map on a second screen if we want, as servers can always disable this if they want to make things more "hardcore".

Yeah...but you're forgetting something. One could argue that doing that is perfectly realistic, and it would be the equivalent of holding a map whilst walking. They make admin pouches for plate carriers that unfold and have room for a map, so you can take a quick glance down and see a map, GPS, or any other item you desire while on a patrol and etc. When you move your eyes away to your other screen, that's what this simulates.

The only way this would be helpful versus having a picture of a map on the other screen is if you played on one of the easier modes where you can see yourself on the map. Which, in the case that you can see exactly where you're moving on the map, you can just throw all realism out the window right there. With that said, this could be a neat feature. I personally don't use two monitors but hey, it's a good idea so why not support it?

MAP1-Lw.jpg

Also since this is supposed to be near future, one could argue that the militaries would have a few new developements in a wearable tactical computer/GPS devices.

So it would be cool to be able to equip this item and then have the option of having a map on your second screen. When it wasn't equiped maybe some of the HUD and other info items could be relocated to this screen.

OP, I'm sure your answer is "yes, it can be done" but with your attitude and quick-to-bite answers to people in this thread, good luck finding someone that will do it for you. Unless you code it yourself, you'll probably never see it.

You definitely won't see it anywhere common enough to be able to use online, since any sane server admin will enable signature keys that will only allow certain server approved mods (if any at all) and the feature you're asking about doesn't sound like it'll be popular or feasible enough to the masses to make the "common mods" cut.

I'd say they better first fix the ludicrous loading time when opening and exiting map

Also since this is supposed to be near future, one could argue that the militaries would have a few new developements in a wearable tactical computer/GPS devices.

27239eea-d6e7-4655-b4dc-8fd228172603_zps6b95f33a.jpg