Sign in to follow this  
RadicalAtHeart

Laptop users - How is ArmA 3 playing?

I am looking to buy a laptop. Can you guys tell me what you have and how it's running ?

I am deciding between a i5 and i7-3630QM

And then as a GPU probably a GT650M GTX660M or maybe GT650M SLI with Lenovo Y500.

Is it worth buying? I am still waiting for a torrent to complete to try it out till my Paypal account is filled. Still three days left for me.

I really hope all bugs have been gone from past ArmA games.

I was hoping to get Supporter Edition on Steam since I have Steam wallet money there. I guess it's a no go. I have to get deluxe edition instead.

I am looking to buy a laptop. Can you guys tell me what you have and how it's running ?

I am deciding between a i5 and i7-3630QM

And then as a GPU probably a GT650M GTX660M or maybe GT650M SLI with Lenovo Y500.

Is it worth buying? I am still waiting for a torrent to complete to try it out till my Paypal account is filled. Still three days left for me.

I really hope all bugs have been gone from past ArmA games.

I was hoping to get Supporter Edition on Steam since I have Steam wallet money there. I guess it's a no go. I have to get deluxe edition instead.

Hey man, I have Y500 with i7 and SLI configuration so if you wait for tomorrow or end of weekend, I will post here some performance info about it.. I´ve played so far few hours but I need to tweak it a bit.. So far I´m playing with "standard" details, 3/4 distance and turned off all AA/AF/postproc. But GT650M has awesome OC potential so it should be better then.. I´ll keep you informed..

Hey man, I have Y500 with i7 and SLI configuration so if you wait for tomorrow or end of weekend, I will post here some performance info about it.. I´ve played so far few hours but I need to tweak it a bit.. So far I´m playing with "standard" details, 3/4 distance and turned off all AA/AF/postproc. But GT650M has awesome OC potential so it should be better then.. I´ll keep you informed..

Hey,

I'd like to hear about it too. I'm thinking about getting Lenovo Ideapad Y500 next week... You think it could handle Arma 3 on high settings with 30-50 fps?

Oh and, is it possible if you could release some video footage of it?

Edited by TopsosS

I'm running it on an old (had it for 2 years now) Dell XPS 15 l502x (See sig for specs) and I am running around medium (nothing lower than medium) settings at 1280x720 (framerate too low at 1080p) with an average FPS of 30. Sometimes it will peak up to about 45, and dips down to 20 during big battles. Can't use AA, but I can use one of the post process AA settings, and regularly use FXAA - Ultra.

For me, that's playable because the dips aren't that common.

Hey guys so here we go.. some results of my testing. Just to be clear, I´m running Y500 with i7, 8GB RAM and GT650SLi with 310 drivers (314 are crap so far) - no OC.. so far :D

Anyways, here are results with my current setting

Fullscreen

1920x1080x32

Visibility : 5000/3000/200

Rendering:

Rendering resolution 100% (FHD)

VSYNC on

AA disabled

PPAA: SMAA Ultra

ATOC: disabled

Postprocessing: Very high

HDR: Standard

AF: Ultra

PIP: Ultra

Dynamic lights: Ultra

Quality:

Everything on high, only textures are very high

FPS are about 25-35, mostly around 30.

I´m testing this in mission editor with spawning myself in some camp on the hill (cant remember name of it) and runing/looking on everything.. I´m pretty sure that I would need to tweak it a bit for using in multiplayer modes, bud it shouldt be an issue.. Biggest FPS killer is distanance but there is not much difference between 3km and 5km in terms of view, but it is about 5-10 fps. AA is just killer.. More information about MP tweaking and OCing later on ;)

I have been playing the alpha on my laptop. It's an Asus K55 with a GT630 and an i7 at 2.3ghz with 8 gigs of ram. It runs the alpha better than I thought it would. When all of my settings are either on low or standard with 2xAA turned on, I get about 25-40 fps. Although when there's a lot of AI in a mission, my FPS plummets to around 20-25 because of the (relatively) slow processor I have. It's totally playable though.

My fiancee uses a laptop, a Lenovo y570.

It has a i7-2630QM, 8gb of Ram and GT555M as the GPU. The resolution is natively 1366x786.

It performs adequately on all the games we play, except Arma 3.

I don't really know what is at fault here. I know that the GPU is not the best of the best, but that doesn't seem to be the issue. GPU usage always hovers around 45% no matter what settings are used. Everything low and 3d Resolution at 1366x786, she gets like 35fps in single player. But multiplayer usually KILLS the computer, down to some 14fps.

Well maybe the settings are too demanding? But how can they be? If we increase the 3d resolution to 1080p, put many settings into high and watch what happens, we should get even more of a dip in the frame rate, right?

Except... we get 14fps. The exact same average as with all the settings with low. And GPU is used to 45%.

So no matter what settings are used, single player is playable while multiplayer mostly is not. It is very frustrating, since one would assume that multiplayer eases pressure by putting the AI into the server, instead of the local machine.

We are thinking if we should get a y580 that has a GT660M and i7-3630qm, but would that make a differnece? With that same amount of money, one also gets a desktop with 660ti and i5-3570k and that is surely enough for arma3. But if desktop is the only effective way to bring two playable ARma 3's into the household, then I guess that is what's happening.

Does anyone know a remedy for this?

MacbookPro early 2012 - core i7 2,3Ghz - 8GB -AMD 6770m 1GB - 750GB HD - Win7 Ultim. 64bit

Res: 1440x900

Viewdist: 2500

Object: 1200

Shadow: 100

No AA

PAA Ultra

Postprocess: low or off

Anistr.Filtering: High

PIP: Disabled

Dynamic Lights: Standard

TextureQuali: High

Objects Quali: High

TerrainQuali: VeryHigh

Cloud Quali: Standard

ShadowQuali: Standard

ParticlesQuali: Standard

Gameplay with these setting is ok. Framerate max 35 min 20

It´s no gaming book but for gaming while traveling ok.

Hey guys so here we go.. some results of my testing. Just to be clear, I´m running Y500 with i7, 8GB RAM and GT650SLi with 310 drivers (314 are crap so far) - no OC.. so far :D

Anyways, here are results with my current setting

Fullscreen

1920x1080x32

Visibility : 5000/3000/200

Rendering:

Rendering resolution 100% (FHD)

VSYNC on

AA disabled

PPAA: SMAA Ultra

ATOC: disabled

Postprocessing: Very high

AF: Ultra

PIP: Ultra

Dynamic lights: Ultra

Quality:

Everything on high, only textures are very high

FPS are about 25-35, mostly around 30.

I´m testing this in mission editor with spawning myself in some camp on the hill (cant remember name of it) and runing/looking on everything.. I´m pretty sure that I would need to tweak it a bit for using in multiplayer modes, bud it shouldt be an issue.. Biggest FPS killer is distanance but there is not much difference between 3km and 5km in terms of view, but it is about 5-10 fps. AA is just killer.. More information about MP tweaking and OCing later on ;)

Thank you for the information, helps a lot. :)

Only thing I'm worried now is OS, Windows 8. So are you able to play steam games with it? And also, does steam work properly?