Steiner34

Tutorial: How to use the Task Modules

thanks for this thread , i have a question how to put a new task assigned appear in map when the first task is completed ?

thanks a lot guys

Edited by kakarot

Got to say i love the new task framework thus far, cant wait to see the completed thing.

I don't understand how this works. Can someone give me a complete idiot's guide to doing something like this?

I always seem to learn mo' better if there is a sample demo. So, see sample demo linked below. (note: I did it slightly diff than he did, I used ID# instead - check the objects/pallets I added, and see how it defines the tower as CT1)

thanks for this thread , i have a question how to put a new task assigned appear in map when the first task is completed ?

There is an example of this in the demo template I'm linking to here;

https://sites.google.com/site/rflaggtoc/arma3-wip-missions/TaskTemplate.Stratis.7z?attredirects=0&d=1

Use the bombs you're equipped with, or use the handy truck parked nearby. Tower is task1, pickup truck is task 2.

You can probably keep right on chaining one task after the next.

All I've done is used what was posted in this thread, and tinkered around a bit. Credit goes to those who've posted before me.

R.Flagg I tried using your template however I get this- You cannot play/edit this mission. It is dependant on downloadable content that has been deleted.cba_x3_xeh

R.Flagg I tried using your template however I get this- You cannot play/edit this mission. It is dependant on downloadable content that has been deleted.cba_x3_xeh

This is because you need to activate @CBA3 .

thanks for the template it's exactly what i'm looking for. but how you put the marker ? it's very cool and why the second task doesn't have a marker ?

the marker off first task how to put the same on task2 and how to remove the task1 marker when task2 is assigned ?

thanks a lot .

Edited by kakarot

It seems that "taskDestination" does not work when you insert the task after mission start. In the mission I'm writing I have two tasks at mission start; Insert and clear beachhead, then clear town. After you are done with those a third task pops up, to clear an enemy held outpost just behind the first two. Everything comes up, task assigned and all that and all the triggers are square but the destination markers will not show. I tried synchronize to object and module position; no dice.

I'll keep playing with it see if its just a little buggy yet.

As the guy who designed their current implementation, I must apologize for the confusion. This was one of the first proper frameworks I worked on when I began work on Arma 3. :p It will be improved in the future, hopefully accompanied by some more general documentation of how modules now work.

So, to give a basic tutorial of how it currently works:

Let's say we have a mission where the objective is to destroy an enemy vehicle. It's a 4-player coop, all players have the same objective and they're all in the same squad.

1. Insert the Create Task module, fill in the details as desired.
  2. Change Apply to to Synchronized objects only.
  3. Synchronize the module to each of the player units.
  4. Insert the Set Task State module, set the State to Assigned.
  5. Synchronize to the Create Task module.
  6. Insert the Set Task Destination module, set the Destination to Synchronized object.
  7. Synchronize to the Create Task module and the enemy vehicle.
  8. Insert a Trigger, change it's Condition to !(alive truck1) (change truck1 to the name of the vehicle)
  9. Insert another Set Task State module, set the State to Succeeded.
  10. Synchronize to the Create Task module and the Trigger.

This should create the task for all players, set it as current, set the vehicle as its destination, wait for the vehicle to be destroyed and then mark it as succeeded. Hope that helps!

I have done as you instructed (and figured how to connect the second to last stage) and still the task list only shows up for myself (the host). I have multiple squads, all with playable characters, but even the players in the same squad as I do not get the tasks.

Is there anything I'm forgetting or is there another way to achieve the same goal?

to show a marker when a new task is assigned you need to put on a map a empty marker with a name and in the trigger off and task you need to put "name_marker" setMarkerType "hd_destroy"; when the new task is assigned you can see the marker in your map .

to remove it just put deleteMarker "name_marker"; in a triger .

i hope i can help you with this.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Kakarot how did you get the id for the comm tower?

it's a mistake you need to ask the author R.FLAGG , i dont know how he do tohave the tower ID .

I agree, it does still seem a bit buggy here and there, and the 'new task marker' bit is one example. I also had issues with sync-ing the tasks to all players (as was indicated to us earlier in this thread), because when I did that it gave me the tasks twice - sort of.

But I still love the idea of being able to do it this way, and I hope they continue to dev it further. It would be nice to get away from the old 'pencil and paper' method of doing it, GUI seems so much more 21st century! ;p

Sorry about that. I forgot I had a few mods running. But, we can consider that a quick test of the alpha :p , with unfortunate results. If you're editing/previewing a mission while mods are active, they become 'baked in' to the mission, and users will have to have same mods running to play the mission - even if the mods have nothing at all to do with the mission. Same as in Arma2.

Anyway, what you can try is opening up the mission.sqm, and just delete everything between the paranthesis of the two addon sections, and then fire it up again.

Ex:

addOns[]=

{

};

addOnsAuto[]=

{

};

If you still have trouble, let me know and I'll throw it up again.

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

Kakarot how did you get the id for the comm tower?

There is an "ID" button in the editor. Hit it and all kinds of crazy ID numbers for static items in the map will show up. Sometimes the one you're looking for is obvious (all alone by itself), other times you have to do a trial and error of a few bunched up numbers.

Got this all working. But can you set markers in the "Diary" module? So when you reading the text like "Go in and destroy (marker1) then go and destroy (marker2)" so it it "clickable"?

Okay can someone explain how I can make it so when I destroy three specific towers it completes the task?

Off top of my head I'd say to make a trigger with condition

!(alive tower1) AND !(alive tower2) AND !(alive tower3)

and then sync that to a Set Task State / Succeeded module , and the module for Create Task that created the task in the 1st place.

Hey mate

Doma search for briefing manager over n armaholic.

Type in what you need, then insert marker text where needed, and make sure the name is the same as the marker name on your map.

Then copy the text over to the description field in the task create module...

Thank you Flagg, I'll see if I can get that to work.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Sheesh this is confusing, so do I have to do the getDamage thing like you did in the example mission? and one trigger like that for each tower or something?

Ok taskDestination does work if you use it after mission start. For creating a task later in the mission you need three things:

1) CreateTask module

2) StatusUpdate module

3) TaskDestination module

All three must be synced to the trigger that brings up the task and the player you want to have the tasks. So for an example say our first task is to destroy a tower and our second is some wild_stuff..

In our trigger to check if the tower is destroyed " !(alive Tower), once true three things happen. The Task gets created, the status gets updated and destination gets created. Without the trigger syncing to all three they would try to create at mission start. Since the taskDestination was not synced to my trigger I am guessing the game started it tried to create the destination marker, could not find the task for it because it was being held waiting for a trigger and therefore a marker was never created.

If all three are synced to the trigger then it works fine. You have to play around with the syncing and whats needed and when a lot to get the hang of it. But honestly once you have it all figured its easy. I like the new system.

**EDIT**

Be advised to get the floating marker in game after the task comes up you still need to go to your map and set the task as current.

Thanks! Can confirm its working.

Only problem as i see it now, is that we get so many "Synchonizations" between things when editing hehe

Is it some way to shorten the "Create task" to the player? So you only need one "Create task" that is synchronized to him without having all "Create task" synced to him.

? StatusUpdate module ? <-- it's probably right in front of my face, but... where's the StatusUpdate module?

Thank you Flagg, I'll see if I can get that to work.

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

? StatusUpdate module ? <-- it's probably right in front of my face, but... where's the StatusUpdate module?

Sheesh this is confusing, so do I have to do the getDamage thing like you did in the example mission? and one trigger like that for each tower or something?

The getDamage thing was just supposed to make the tower easier to destroy. If you are talking about static objects-towers that are built-into the map, than you have to define them first. The part you need is the part you see in the pallets I placed. Drop any random object down, and use that to 'define' the thing you want by using its ID number. Very commonly done, for blowing up bridges and whatnot.

Okay can someone explain how I can make it so when I destroy three specific towers it completes the task?

1. Turn object ID's on in the editor

2. Place a Game Logic on the map next to the tower/target, set class as objects.

3. In the init field of the game logic use this code (the last number in the code is the ID of the tower/building shown on the map) change that last number to suit your target

tower1=position this nearestObject 81666

That above line basically gives the tower the name tower1

4. Then you can use a trigger with either of these condition codes (both do the same thing)

not alive tower1

or

!(alive tower1)

To test it just put a hint in the on activation box of the trigger

Hint "The tower is destroyed, mission complete"

Just do that for each tower and change the completion trigger to suit.

And for it to complete a task, use the settaskstate module set to suceeded, and sync it to the create task module and the not alive tower1 trigger

Hope that explains it :)

Edited by Tay-uk

Doublepost

Edited by FortuN
Doublepost

Found a limit with MP can anyone confirm.

Tasks show and sync properly on creation and succeeded for players in the server at mission start. But any players who the drop out of the game or just back to the lobby, aswell as JIP players do not get any tasks showing.

Tasks show and sync properly on creation and succeeded for players in the server at mission start. But any players who the drop out of the game or just back to the lobby, aswell as JIP players do not get any tasks showing.

I can confirm this. I managed to get the tasks showing in MP through starting them after everyone joined in, but JIP don't get it.

PS: If I don't start the tasks after everyone joins "method", they are not initially displayed anyway. How did you get yours to display right away by default?

Didnt do anything special afaik, just followed Zipper's instructions a few pages back. I'm still playing and testing so ill report back if anything else pops up.

Exactly the same as with the standard Arma 2 task system. We will have to wait for them to update it hopefully and if not you will have to use alternatives. Even if you can get it so JIP players can see the task list, you then still have the problem of them not seeing the tasks true status if they've changed from the original status (i.e. not done), they will just show as not done even if they have been and can also cause them to change back to not done for people who haven't left the game.

Edited by clydefrog

Should the name on the marker (not the whole marker) really disappear like 5-10 seconds after you get the mission?