Sign in to follow this  
Nexerius

Grenades,rag doll,run speed and weapon change

Hi! Loving the alpha so far :) Many things are so improved from previous ARMA games its just fantastic! But i have a few things id like to talk about!

First, grenade throw. As everyone know, its a bit too quick. Id like to suggest something. So, if you press g( default grenade throw) You take the grenade, and hold it in your hands.( If you press, maybe double tap control, you go back to your previous weapon.) But if you press (and hold) G, you pull the ping, and when you release the G key you throw the grenade. Its a bit more realistic, and you can "prepare" your grenade.

Second, rag dolls. Im sure it will be improved, but its not that important. But it feels like theres something wrong. It seems like when you shoot someone, they just lose all their lifeforce instantly, and they just fall to the ground. Ive seen some games that has ragdoll, that the players/npc's "grabs" the area they was shot in while they fall over. Would be pretty cool to have that. But it should not be a high priority at the moment.

Third, run speed. I feel it's to fast right now. The animation seems to be kinda quick as well. But i feel that its just too fast right now. Especially uphills, and crouch run is WAY too fast. It needs to slowed down. It was too easy for me to run quickly around corners, and run around just gunning people down in CQC.

And last, i hoped this would be improved. Im sure it will be put in, but i think its something to take up since many probably doesnt think about it.

But i think changing from primary/secondary to seconday/primary should not stop your movement. It shouldnt be possible to sprint and change weapon, but tactical pace should not be stopped when changing. Changing to something like RPG's should stop all movement, since its so heavy.

I hope people agrees on my points and discuss a bit and all that. :p

I can't wait to get home, and continue to play some more ARMA :)

Thought i would add a quick suggestion!

It would be very useful and cool if we could rapple/slide down a rope from helicopters. It would make quick operations much better. Also, wiring ourselves up would be very nice. :) Its the future afterall :P

(Ive seen people talking about female characters. Honestly i don't think that should be even thought about right now, many more important things are to be done.)

Edited by Nexerius

Third, run speed. I feel it's to fast right now. The animation seems to be kinda quick as well. But i feel that its just too fast right now. Especially uphills, and crouch run is WAY too fast. It needs to slowed down. It was too easy for me to run quickly around corners, and run around just gunning people down in CQC.

A BI dev said that they will lower the running speed in an upcoming patch!

Thats good! :)

Thanks for the info.

I don't really read that much on confirmed things and similar threads/articles. I like some surprises. x)

I feel the sprint (standing and crouched) is the right speed however the tactical run (standing, with weapon down) is too fast. for both player and AI.

Agree with grenade throw, too arcady. A dedicated button is great, but you should reach for your webbing, grab one then throw it.

I thought the movement speeds in arma2 were fine. The thing we were missing was a between jogging and walking speed (ie tactical glide)

With our current speed capability. The map quickly starts to feel much smaller.

I feel the sprint (standing and crouched) is the right speed however the tactical run (standing, with weapon down) is too fast. for both player and AI.

Agree with grenade throw, too arcady. A dedicated button is great, but you should reach for your webbing, grab one then throw it.

I thought the movement speeds in arma2 were fine. The thing we were missing was a between jogging and walking speed (ie tactical glide)

With our current speed capability. The map quickly starts to feel much smaller.

Yep, i quickly managed to run long distances pretty fast.

...Its a bit more realistic, and you can "prepare" your grenade.

Funny thing is, MOST (I say most because maybe some crazy SWAT or SAS or whatever unit does) will never cook a live grenade. It's some movie thing, same with throwing grenades back.

At the moment there is no way yo judge correct path of the grenade or the strength in the throw. It's simply one animation that happens instantly as soon as you press the button. They need to put more work into grenades and giving us control and a way of throwing them in the rough area we want them to.

Funny thing is, MOST (I say most because maybe some crazy SWAT or SAS or whatever unit does) will never cook a live grenade. It's some movie thing, same with throwing grenades back.

I didnt really mean to cook it. I meant that you could hold the grenade in your hands to "prepare" a throw, THEN pull the pin and throw it.

Prepare it by holding it in your hands, instead of just ripping it off your chest and throw it in less than a second.

---------- Post added at 12:19 ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 ----------

At the moment there is no way yo judge correct path of the grenade or the strength in the throw. It's simply one animation that happens instantly as soon as you press the button. They need to put more work into grenades and giving us control and a way of throwing them in the rough area we want them to.

Thats true. Its very difficult to know where you throw. Sometimes when i try to throw it not too far forward, it lands 2-3 meters infront of me.

good news.

I agree with the ragdolls. They seem a bit too heavy at the moment, shooting a person with a .50 cal bullet just makes him slump down like a low velocity bullet killed him.

I agree with the ragdolls. They seem a bit too heavy at the moment, shooting a person with a .50 cal bullet just makes him slump down like a low velocity bullet killed him.

Yep. Theyre a bit "heavy".

Would be nice if they made a mix between ragdoll and animations really. Theres a few examples from a few games but i cant really remember any now.

Switching to secondary:

One shouldn't have to stop in order to change to that, because that's the point of having a secondary. If your magazine runs out, you swap to the pistol and continue walking towards the threat.

Examples:

GTA IV has some of the best ragdolls I've ever seen. It features the Euphoria engine which is leading radoll physics in my opinion.

Switching to secondary:

One shouldn't have to stop in order to change to that, because that's the point of having a secondary. If your magazine runs out, you swap to the pistol and continue walking towards the threat.

Examples:

GTA IV has some of the best ragdolls I've ever seen. It features the Euphoria engine which is leading radoll physics in my opinion.

Exactly, sometimes you go out of ammo in the wrong situation, and its crucial to switch guns fast. But of course he just stops, slowly removes his primary and pulls out his seconday. So yes. Its VERY needed that we get a quick switch. :P

And yes, GTA IV is one of the games i was thinking of. Combines animation and ragdoll.

Exactly, sometimes you go out of ammo in the wrong situation, and its crucial to switch guns fast. But of course he just stops, slowly removes his primary and pulls out his seconday. So yes. Its VERY needed that we get a quick switch. :P

And yes, GTA IV is one of the games i was thinking of. Combines animation and ragdoll.

That and Sui Generis is looking promising with their integration between animations and physics.

I overall think the walking and running animations look weird. The tactical walk and crouched animations are good in my opinion though.

That and Sui Generis is looking promising with their integration between animations and physics.

I overall think the walking and running animations look weird. The tactical walk and crouched animations are good in my opinion though.

The walk and "resting weapon" animation is way too quick though, for example. :P

good news.

Yes amazing news currently you run as fast as usant bolt.

Seems they got Dayz fever and forgot that Arma was to stick to realism.Great they are moving them back to what I hope is realistic levels.Just watched a video of squad sprinting uphill and it looked ridiculous.

Seems they got Dayz fever and forgot that Arma was to stick to realism.Great they are moving them back to what I hope is realistic levels.Just watched a video of squad sprinting uphill and it looked ridiculous.

Haha yes, its silly.

But sometimes, when the mission is to run a long distance, its actually nice to have. But after a while, we wont have missions like that anymore.

Vespa said that sprint is getting a nerf... weapon-down jog, combat pace and walk remain the same.