Sign in to follow this  
NeuroFunker

Take Downs.

Do we need takedowns?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Do we need takedowns?

Hey everyone, was playing this masterpiece for 2 days nonstop. So far im deeply positive impressed. When i was playing wasteland missions, there were a lot of situations, where i could sneak up on people to a close range, where i could take him down with a knife easily, but sadly only thing i could do is to shoot in his back.

So i thought, wouldn't it be nice, to be able to take people down at close combat? Of course not BF/CoD whatever style.

So what are thoughts, do we need it or not?

Need - no. A melee animation for modders would be nice for them to work on.

Not running around with a knife or anything, but something similar to ACE's "push-over" action.. except lethal. This would help a lot when you don't want to fire a round. But I think this'll be done by the modding community for individual missions, rather than Bohemia.

Not running around with a knife or anything, but something similar to ACE's "push-over" action.. except lethal. This would help a lot when you don't want to fire a round. But I think this'll be done by the modding community for individual missions, rather than Bohemia.

Or this! It would come in handy in many situations.

I always wondered why we dont have knifes in ARMA series....I had one from the boyscouts days....really strange....

I always wondered why we dont have knifes in ARMA series....I had one from the boyscouts days....really strange....

maybe it was technically not simple to implement.

Yes there should be Melee combat. I am not sure why this isn't included. I always felt it was badly missing from Arma 2 :) also with the addition of more CQC, it would be welcomed.

no need for take downs but YES FOR MELEE.

I think it is a very important part of a military game, at least for me because i'm the sneaky player that get in undetected and sabotage. So this feature is really nice to have but if you think about it for afew seconds.... Lets say you knife someone in multiplayer, maybe the ppl around him in the game doesn't notice but be sure he is going to scream to them using coms like TS and so on xD

With the added mobility and QCB options in A3, it would be very useful. Hate when in SP/(especially)MP you have to shoot someone in a empty house and alert the guy next house just because you didn't happen to have a suppressor.

And as it already has been pointed out, it doesn't need to be BF3 style behind-the-back melee kill, and God forbid CoD style "slashing" at someone's general direction until he dies. Just some knife/bayonet stab, and maybe some simple takedown animation with your bare hands. And no need to add QTE events :)

I would like melee but only if it's done correct. In reality there are not many situations when an infantry soldier would ever be so close to require hand to hand, unless it's some SF mission. I know of many cases of British soldiers attaching bayonettes in Afghanistan, so maybe this could be added as it is not unrealistic.

But I don't want silly knife takedowns and Rambo attitude. I imagine that in reality, (I say imagine as I have never killed a man), it is not a very simple task to take someone down. Even if you have a knife and are behind him, there are many things that could go wrong.

It's a tricky one! In my opinion, if you end up in a situation where you are that close to an enemy, there are 2 situations for you:

1. Your mission went totally wrong and you are now f*cked, you have enemies within CQB range and you are armed with standard infantry gear. Good luck!

2. You are intentionally close to the enemy as that is the nature of the mission. If that is the case, you should have suppressed pistol to zip him in the head.

Of course, I would like to see a military knife in Arma, but in reality they get used to open tin cans more than they get used to open peoples necks...

:p

No. Please no. No stupid 1-hit-win knives.

Did you take down many people with it?

Well IF you manage to not bounce the blade off a piece of the skeleton and make contact with a vital organ then you still have to wait for the blood to take some effect, be it bleeding out or going somewhere it shouldn't go IE suffocating because the lungs fill with blood. There is also the adrenaline rush to worry about, chances are the brain is going to go full on survival mode and the person may not simple fall down or die as expected, they will want to get you off of them and likely not be too happy if they get their hands on you.

Slitting the throat is also not the simple one slash and kill either, they still have to bleed out or suffocate. You'd be surprised as to what you can live through, with the right technique you can survive something even as fatal as having your throat slit.

There is also the "FUUUU!" factor to consider, when people get hurt they aren't quiet, they aren't just going to sit there and silently let you gut them, even with a covered mouth they are going to make some noise..one of the things that cracked me up in far cry 3 was how easy it was to ambush a patrol from behind and take them out without being detected because the first guy didn't cry out in pain or anything like that.

Edited by NodUnit

Well IF you manage to not bounce the blade off a piece of the skeleton and make contact with a vital organ then you still have to wait for the blood to take some effect, be it bleeding out or going somewhere it shouldn't go IE suffocating because the lungs fill with blood. There is also the adrenaline rush to worry about, chances are the brain is going to go full on survival mode and the person may not simple fall down or die as expected, they will want to get you off of them and likely not be too happy if they get their hands on you.

Slitting the throat is also not the simple one slash and kill either, they still have to bleed out or suffocate. You'd be surprised as to what you can live through, with the right technique you can survive something even as fatal as having your throat slit.

10 chars of this.

Despite what hollywood wants you to believe, killing someone with a knife is a slow, messy and often loud process.

I'd rather dev time was spent elsewhere than on something you'd use in like 0.00001% of all situations...

And yes, I have 1000's of knife kills in the BF series, so I do appreciate how useful they can be in certain situations...

Yeah it's like people complaining that AI can hear them when they are using suppressors. Hollywood told me that even .50 cal sniper rifles go pew when they have a suppressor on them - ArmA is unrealistic!

I would like melee but only if it's done correct. In reality there are not many situations when an infantry soldier would ever be so close to require hand to hand, unless it's some SF mission. I know of many cases of British soldiers attaching bayonettes in Afghanistan, so maybe this could be added as it is not unrealistic.

But I don't want silly knife takedowns and Rambo attitude. I imagine that in reality, (I say imagine as I have never killed a man), it is not a very simple task to take someone down. Even if you have a knife and are behind him, there are many things that could go wrong.

It's a tricky one! In my opinion, if you end up in a situation where you are that close to an enemy, there are 2 situations for you:

1. Your mission went totally wrong and you are now f*cked, you have enemies within CQB range and you are armed with standard infantry gear. Good luck!

2. You are intentionally close to the enemy as that is the nature of the mission. If that is the case, you should have suppressed pistol to zip him in the head.

Of course, I would like to see a military knife in Arma, but in reality they get used to open tin cans more than they get used to open peoples necks...

:p

Yeah, British soldiers fixed bayonets when they soon found themselves just meters away from Taliban hiding in poppy fields or irrigation ditches and tree lines. There's a documentary called Armadillo where they smoked some Taliban just 15 meters away in a ditch. Also, sentry techniques are still taught in the military, such as shoving a knife into someone's throat and pushing the blade forward to sever their wind pipe, jugular, and etc. Since the Alpha came out, I've already had a dozen or so face to face encounters where I could have shoved a knife into someone's throat and spared myself getting detected because I had to shoot.

There is also the "FUUUU!" factor to consider, when people get hurt they aren't quiet, they aren't just going to sit there and silently let you gut them, even with a covered mouth they are going to make some noise..one of the things that cracked me up in far cry 3 was how easy it was to ambush a patrol from behind and take them out without being detected because the first guy didn't cry out in pain or anything like that.

This sums up my point completely. :)

The only way I can imagine you could drop someone near instantly is to stab them straight in the back of the neck, severing their spinal cord and brain stem and whatever else is there? If you stop communication between brain and body, body will stop working, lol.

It's not very often you are presented with the chance to happily stab an armed soldier in the back of the neck, however...

Edit: @Crierd, Armadillo is an excellent doc, as are the many, many British docs I have watched. Great stuff.

sentry techniques are still taught in the military, such as shoving a knife into someone's throat and pushing the blade forward to sever their wind pipe, jugular, and etc.

What Military are you a part of? I can't smoke joe because He cried home to mommy about Mr. Sgt is sooo mean to me.. They would never let me teach joe how to slit a throat... I mean I guess maybe I am just a Grunt and not some super secret 42A....

In Wasteland, an enemy and I unloaded our ammunition with our pistols and were just circle strafing. We had no other way to take each other down. Was quite amusing. Definitely wished there was a melee mechanic for that situation.

I agree that we should be able to take out enemy silently, but it should be for only the spec ops class given the nature of their work. Infantry is trained on hand to hand combat, but special operations troops are trained in a way where it can affect certain missions that they undertake. So, my feel is that it should be in the game, but very limited. However, EVERY mission that I went on, I carried a knife. It was not just for combat, but for survival as well if I had ever become separated from my squad. There are many uses to the knife and one of them was giving you the ability to still be dangerous without having to use a firearm.

But for Arma 3, it would need to be very limited given the gameplay. I think a better compromise would be allowing all troops to have a knife along with knifing animations and the ability to melee with it in direct confrontation, but that "takedowns" are done only by spec ops classes.

Edited by bugkill