Sign in to follow this  
ziriix

Changing weapon while moving?

How should you switch to sidearm?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. How should you switch to sidearm?

• By stopping and slowly taking out your sidearm?
    • By almost instantly taking the sidearm while moving?

what if you just drop it into a sling where the weapon is still on your front, just pointed downwards, then you draw the pistol and you are ready to fire.

given that reloading can be done on the move, all you do here is lower your arms so that the weapon is against your chest pointing downwards, and then you pull out the pistol. forget realistic whada whada, its very practical,

if you dont have a primary weapon, then it still works, and you can draw on the move, the only difference is the primary assault rifle weapon is not there.(aka represented on the character)

I can't imagine any reason why someone in the future would NOT use a sling on his rifle. Without a sling, your movement is very much restricted since you always have to hold your rifle (or drop it). Also, I can tell from experience that with a properly configured sling, dropping the rifle while drawing the pistol is a viable move and that you can easily do this on the move (as long as you moving slower than jogging). Of course the rifle gets on the way a bit, and in some situation more than just a bit, but most of the time you can adjust the position of the rifle (ie. move it to your side or back) with one hand in less than a second. It doesn't really restrict movement while it's hanging there, it just makes movement more uncomfortable. Also, dropping your rifle and drawing the pistol, even on the move, takes about one second. Maybe two or three if you've never done it before, but I would guess these soldiers are properly trained.

Yeah well, developer already said we are not going to get a proper animation, so that's not an option, and 'instant pistol' is just retarded.

slow interchange for me, or make a second stage like smk mod or put main weapon upside down on back for quick sidearm animations.

I dont wanna instant no animation but need fast animations, sidearm must be use in close combat(moving and shooting) and indoors, so why you will prone stance? arma series never has melee attack maybe a free moving interchange sidearm, will well come to me

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148449-Main-weapon-to-sidearm-Animations

Edited by PFC Magician

For the sake of realism please dont make it instant. But also for the sake of realism please make it so you can swap to your pistol on the move.

I can't imagine any reason why someone in the future would NOT use a sling on his rifle. Without a sling, your movement is very much restricted since you always have to hold your rifle (or drop it). Also, I can tell from experience that with a properly configured sling, dropping the rifle while drawing the pistol is a viable move and that you can easily do this on the move (as long as you moving slower than jogging). Of course the rifle gets on the way a bit, and in some situation more than just a bit, but most of the time you can adjust the position of the rifle (ie. move it to your side or back) with one hand in less than a second. It doesn't really restrict movement while it's hanging there, it just makes movement more uncomfortable. Also, dropping your rifle and drawing the pistol, even on the move, takes about one second. Maybe two or three if you've never done it before, but I would guess these soldiers are properly trained.

Even with todays standards, a sling comes almost as a guaranteed asset on a rifle, so it's weird to me that people (not you, but in general) still talk about putting your rifle on the back. I was trained on G36s, and the only time you have this rifle on the back, is when you are sure that you don't have a firefight. You wear it like a backpack with the shoulder-rest folded. Other than that, you have it either in your hands, or on your side dropped/hanging. And we are playing a simulation here that takes part in 30 years from now (round about) - there can't be a serious discussion if you need to put your rifle on the back. You just don't. You should not be able to switch instant, in fact, it would be completely fine with me if the actual animation would not change - just make it on the move. Talking about a sidearm here, a rocketlauncher would of course take more effort.

It even would be funny to add like a random chance to hurt yourself when you go prone/crouch with the rifle hanging on your side. Would not be the first time that i ram the shoulder-rest in my stomach when in a hurry/panic. ^^

Sorry but that's a strange understanding of what soldiers do most of the time. And no, I can not remember that I could get all my "gear" all the time ready in a blink of an eye...but that might be due to the fact I had to wear a Machine gun most of the time with ammo and exchange barrel carried by my assistant.

Computer games tent to tell stories about everything has to be fast at a rapid pace like the legendary RPG spam of 3 RPGsin 10 seconds...that's simply not how things work n the real world. If you get caught unprepared by surprise in a squad vs. squad engagment it's basically over no matter how fast you can draw your sidearm. The arma series was never about zig zagging alone over the corridor changing weapons all few seconds, hell most of the time you have only a rifle anyway and in fact I think most weapon related actions happen way to fast in ArmA series....sidearm draw might be a exception, but how often is a sidarm used anyway...you need to put a lot of pistol rounds into an armored opponet at 25m while one shot from a rifle will kill you.

It was the machine gun.

As much as the animation system making progress, there is still a lots of stupid shits that are here since the day of OFP, this is just one of it, shame FPDR

Sorry but that's a strange understanding of what soldiers do most of the time. And no, I can not remember that I could get all my "gear" all the time ready in a blink of an eye...but that might be due to the fact I had to wear a Machine gun most of the time with ammo and exchange barrel carried by my assistant.

Computer games tent to tell stories about everything has to be fast at a rapid pace like the legendary RPG spam of 3 RPGsin 10 seconds...that's simply not how things work n the real world. If you get caught unprepared by surprise in a squad vs. squad engagment it's basically over no matter how fast you can draw your sidearm. The arma series was never about zig zagging alone over the corridor changing weapons all few seconds, hell most of the time you have only a rifle anyway and in fact I think most weapon related actions happen way to fast in ArmA series....sidearm draw might be a exception, but how often is a sidarm used anyway...you need to put a lot of pistol rounds into an armored opponet at 25m while one shot from a rifle will kill you.

But we are talking about not being able to do that even with normal rifle, wasn't it?

Edited by 4 IN 1

Not being able to swap weapons while on movement is hindering but not game breaking. Manage a strapped rifle and gun holstering IRL does require some skill and time, you don't really want to do it while running.. It sure is more realistic than insta-swap anyways if that's the only 2 alternatives. A side-arm is a space and cost effective backup weapon, it's not supposed to be on the ready in an instant (even if you're supposed to be able to draw your gun very quickly), your main weapon is, and I can't think of any situation at all where a soldier would engage himself in a threatening situation without being able to rely on its drawn weapon 100%, be it the side-arm or not.

I vote 1. Stop, take cover and make the swap. Arma is about tactic more than it is about fast-paced action.

Edited by vivoune

I would definitely like to try out both methods. I am confused as to why it needs to be intaswap though. Could the weapon change animation simply be delayed for a few seconds after the switch weapon key is pressed? That way even though the animation is instant, it still takes time to pull out your side arm.

having to stand still while switching weapons wouldn't be so bad if you could cancel the animation at any time to move, duck etc. Ie. you start swapping weapons but then a grenade comes in. Instead of having to wait for the switch weapon animation to play through, you would simply cancel the animation as you sprint away.

Not being able to swap weapons while on movement is hindering but not game breaking. Manage a strapped rifle and gun holstering IRL does require some skill and time, you don't really want to do it while running.. It sure is more realistic than insta-swap anyways if that's the only 2 alternatives. A side-arm is a space and cost effective backup weapon, it's not supposed to be on the ready in an instant (even if you're supposed to be able to draw your gun very quickly), your main weapon is, and I can't think of any situation at all where a soldier would engage himself in a threatening situation without being able to rely on its drawn weapon 100%, be it the side-arm or not.

I vote 1. Stop, take cover and make the swap. Arma is about tactic more than it is about fast-paced action.

How often do you think my gun jammed overall in my time in service, especially in afghanistan? In urban/close combat, the sidearm is as powerful (if not more) as the main rifle. Also, if it would take me 5 seconds to fiddle around standing still while my rifle is jammed, well.. Lucky enough, it does not. And i don't need to stand still in real life to pull it.

Of course, there's no reason to pull a sidearm on targets 100m+, but either we play a simulator, or we play something with arbitrary rules forced on us. Because in real life and combat situations, you won't see a soldier standing still, stuck in his weapon-change animation, while his eyes follow the grenade rolling towards him.

As the matter of fact, secondary are the one that is supposed to be ready on an instant, because if your main is down for whatever reason the only thing standing between life and death is your secondary. There is a reason why people prefer to do a admin reload on the handgun first then admin reload their rifle, not the other way around.

How often do you think my gun jammed overall in my time in service, especially in afghanistan? In urban combat, the sidearm is as powerful (if not more) as the main rifle. Also, if it would take me 5 seconds to fiddle around standing still while my rifle is jammed, well.. Lucky enough, it does not. And i don't need to stand still in real life to pull it.

^This

Hi BI,

Please consider instead of shouldering rifles, simply to make the units drop the rifle in it's sling and then transition to side arm. You already have part of the animations, you can reuse or modify the binocular animations. I understand that the engine restricts you from switching weapons on the move, but the whole shouldering weapon is kind of out of date and since you're really only suppose to use your secondary for emergencies when your primary is down, no one shoulder their weapon in an active AO anymore.

By replacing the "shoulder rifle" animation with a "drop in sling" you speed the primary/secondary animation up without cheating, it's probably also more accurate with today's tactical slings and let's not forget the whole badass factor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmNu1QIWoJo

Hi BI,

Please consider instead of shouldering rifles, simply to make the units drop the rifle in it's sling and then transition to side arm. You already have part of the animations, you can reuse or modify the binocular animations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmNu1QIWoJo

Yes, please.

A few months ago, Smookie said that it can be done if we poked him long enough. :p

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Please smookie and vespa I beg you guys, get rid of the "rifle on the back" stuff! Slings and modern bandoliers let you drop the main weapons while you reach for your secondary! You guys know this is the right thing to do!

I completely agree. Do it like with binos in the above video. Because why not?

Hell if they have to keep the shouldering of the weapon, just be able to draw while moving at combat pace or walking.

Extremely difficult/impossible in our animation system atm.

What we could do is make the weapon change very fast/instant - thoughts on that?

I'm kind of late to the party on this one, but I think that making it very fast while on the move and keeping it how it is right now would be a good compromise. Also varying the speed based on size and weight of the weapon would also help to make it more realistic.

it's a fundamental issue with the weapon animation. they're still using the old ones from arma, just sped up. imo, operating objects, using pistol, planting bombs, etc, etc should let your weapon hang from the front. shouldered weapon will then be assigned its dedicated key/action, which i doubt people will use anymore.

speeding up an action which should naturally take a longer time instead of making a new action which is more suited and realistic is a half-assed thing to do i think.

Hell if they have to keep the shouldering of the weapon, just be able to draw while moving at combat pace or walking.

it's going to be modded out one or another since it's really so excruciatingly antiquated, and poorly functional with all the new things we can do, but it'd be better for everyone is bis just implemented from the get go.