Sign in to follow this  
ziriix

Changing weapon while moving?

How should you switch to sidearm?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. How should you switch to sidearm?

• By stopping and slowly taking out your sidearm?
    • By almost instantly taking the sidearm while moving?

I haven't found any info about this on the forum or Google and i find it strange that no one has taken this up so far.

So after playing since the release this must be one of the most annoying things i can come up with. Every time i want to use my sidearm my character stops dead in his tracks while putting away the main weapon. Is there some kind of really simple thing that i have forgot somewhere or is it just not part of the alpha?

If your not even supposed to change to the sidearm while moving in the full game i'll be really confused...

Edit: By this i do not mean switching to the AT4 from your back while moving just the pistol and normal weapon.

Extremely difficult/impossible in our animation system atm.

What we could do is make the weapon change very fast/instant - thoughts on that?

What we could do is make the weapon change very fast/instant - thoughts on that?

If you cannot make it on the move then I think that would be better solution, yes.

That was requested since OPF though, would be really nice if you could adopt the system for this kind of situations.

I do not think that would solve the problem in a good way. I think it would just look ridiculous if the weapon suddenly appeared or if the swap happened at 200% speed.

The only way I see fixing this would be to add animations for weapon transitions while moving.

I really think that would be better even if it doesn't look very good.

Lets say you get in a firefight on a street, Close range both you and your enemy run out of bullets and have to use your sidearm. How retarded wouldn't it be if both suddenly stops and slowly put away his weapon for afew second?

So ether it has to be possible to change weapon while moving or you simply can never use the pistol as it is supposed to IRL and have to run like a crazy chicken into cover and hide before you switch weapon.

The pistol is in my eyes a personal defense weapon that you use if your main weapon fail in someway and you don't have time to fix it. That is how we use it IRL.

Being able to swap on the move really is a big deal in my opinion. I say you'd better make an official poll and ask peoples thoughts on the subject to see how important it is to have such a thing for a community.

A quicker animation, just for rifles\carabines\small arms in general while standing (don't think that drawing a pistol in any other position is fast or easy as standing) letting the weapon fall into slings while taking the secondary is out of question?

First pic here: http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_images/763/1107763_091026224049_SGCQBSlingCarryOptionsCenter.jpg

Since its too hard to do the weapon change while moving what about adding a sort of panic switch where you would drop the main weapon and switch to pistol immediately. (Double tap ; perhaps)

I'm assuming this is mainly for snipers changing to pistol. (In close quarters the pistol should be the main weapon anyway)

I think that if it's impossible to make it possible to switch to the pistol while moving, making the switch very fast could be a good solution. I mean in real situation, a soldier wouldn't carefully throw the rifle to his back and then take out the pistol if the rifle jammed or ran out of ammo. He would quickly throw the rifle aside with one hand (usually soldiers have rifle slings) while taking the pistol out with the other hand (the whole process from beginning to being ready to fire with the pistol taking about 0.5 seconds to 1 second). A fast switch would emulate this quite well.

yeah please change how it is, stopping to do it is not really credible!

Look forward to the change.

Having only DL'd this last night, one of the first things i tested was the animations - pity the pistol issue won't be addressed but at least it is quick enough not to be an issue and it doesn't look to dumb either. However - this has been an issue since ofp and this is now version 4.

Haven't played that much yet, do you still sling your rifle across your shoulder? You should be able to just drop your rifle on your sling across your front instead. Would be much quicker.

Yes, and it takes ~1.8 seconds to switch from rifle to a pistol, and ~4 seconds to vice versa.

If it was under a "evasive switch" option key then it could act like fire and forget AT in 2, where primary simply gets dumped to the ground and gun is changed. In that way you know if you do it you will drop you main gun (makes you think about it) or you select evasive switch under the situation your in becuase you need it & sort out main weapon later.

That way it caters for both scenarios, but doesn't pander to a silly switch function that may be rejected by allot of people or may seem a little FPS shooter esq.

Lets face it the situation you need to think about switching = then you would get to cover and think it through and then do it just like reloading. The situation where you desperately NEED it to happen, evasive way would work. Otherwise I can ohnly say that its requested becuase that would meet FPS shooter standards, which I thinks not the best way to go IMHO.

Edited by mrcash2009

If it was under a "evasive switch" option key then it could act like fire and forget AT in 2, where primary simply gets dumped to the ground and gun is changed. In that way you know if you do it you will drop you main gun (makes you think about it) or you select evasive switch under the situation your in becuase you need it & sort out main weapon later.

That way it caters for both scenarios, but doesn't pander to a silly switch function that may be rejected by allot of people or may seem a little FPS shooter esq.

Lets face it the situation you need to think about switching = then you would get to cover and think it through and then do it just like reloading. The situation where you desperately NEED it to happen, evasive way would work. Otherwise I can ohnly say that its requested becuase that would meet FPS shooter standards, which I thinks not the best way to go IMHO.

Must say i really like this option where you have 2 different way of switching the weapon, however can it be done?

I honestly think that it isn't too bad, In real life you can pull a pistol from a holster pretty quick if you want to, stopping to change weapons isn't exactly practical when you are evading an enemy.

Vespa could you make an anim for the emergency stoppage drill. Its used by the Americans and British forces basically if you've ever seen the SMK anim pack he throws his rifle to his left on a sling and draws his thigh mounted pistol and fires.

That's a legitimate military drill used by American and British forces.

If it is done by an animation, otherwise - no.

Could you explain why it's that hard to do? Although having it be quicker at the very least would be nicer than what we have now, yes.

if you did it with enough speed it wouldnt look like a studder step so if it flows, without the sidearm/weapon coming up from the hip at super speed, i would agree to it.

Must say i really like this option where you have 2 different way of switching the weapon, however can it be done?

yes, AT dropping is in Arma2 and could be for 3. Also this means that as weapon drops its no different than the trigger when you die, then secondary hand gun appears in hand, its not perfect but it would work. I was mainly coming from the angle that to speed it up looks wrong, to just have it happen no anim isn't great, and none of it takes into consideration of your circumstances.

I would rather have to think about it and take cover to swap out knowing I would stop to do this, and also if I wanted to quick swap its mainly in emergency situations where you would be dropping primary to grab the gun (so you are aware of this and think more before it happens, or think more about swapping gun on the move and simply know to take cover or be aware of situation first). That way both scenarios are covered, it adds and extra function to a situation, and it also doesn't end up a botch fix to look "FPS style".

Its either that or BI devise a CQB based context based situation to trigger option for quick swap, but not in general.

The question to OFP is what is the situation you would want this? Why would you need to know you can insta-swap primary/secondary while running? I cant think of many situation to do this other than emergency, or planned (in which case how it is covers that).

I dont agree with the pole completely as its too black and white, question should be why and what situation was it needed.

Edited by mrcash2009

The question to OFP is what is the situation you would want this? Why would you need to know you can insta-swap primary/secondary while running? I cant think of many situation to do this other than emergency, or planned (in which case how it is covers that).

Well it is only for emergency the sidearm is used unless its pre planed to use it.

Okey when you think about it you don't NEED to move and change sidearm but i feel its a natural feature. In my experience if you have to use the sidearm you are in a really really shitty situation and in that case i never want to sit still and rather run for cover with the sidearm ready. In any way it has to be faster then it is right now.

Edited by Ziriix

Hello Vespa!

Your post worried me a little bit. If im not rude to ask you, could you tell us why isn't the engine up for the challange? Please a little bit of explanation. I have some experience in game development. I also use some 3d package like maya and zbrush. I seen the crysis 2 engine demonstration in 2007 what already can make parametric animation system. I thought in 2013 the developpers have so much knowledge, software package in their hands what are made they job a lot easyer in any way. I cant imagine why isnt the engine can handle the different body parts, because if the character is moving the head also can move separatly. Why cant you make combine a running animation on leg and and a wepon changeing animation for the upperbody part? Arma3 animation finaly feels realistic and continuously. You guys made so great looking games, but your games Achilles heel is always was the animation,and physics. Finaly the characters can sit on motors, and helicopters, have great mocap anims, etc.. I thought you got so much money from dayz than you can (hire anyone)make the best fps on the world ever.

Crysis demonstration:

- start 1:22 Edited by Asaob

Realistically with a three point sling you would just drop your main weapon leaving it hang from your chest and draw your pistol.