Sign in to follow this  
NickWest

Bearing indicator?

So my AI team mates are shouting about targets bearings, but all I have is a cardinal compass and an O'clock indicator. Am I missing something?

surly targets should be identified by one means only. i.e. when infantry in urban environment, use "enemy rifleman, 12 O'clock/front, close/far" but when flying and you actually have a bearing compass, then use "target, bearing 078, 600 meters"

Oh, and before some kid gives me a lesson on how a compass works, I know how bearings and cardinal headings relate, but I hate whipping out a compass each time my AI team mate refers to an enemy on a bearing.

What is used in real combat, and do we have the same indicating equipment? I would be interested in the actual military procedures used for threat direction and ranging.

I think the compass should be enlargened so we can see the bearings on the compass easier.

Even with my hawk eyes I can only barely see the numbers.

Using bearings instead of cardinal direction is much better in my opinion because it gives a more detailed direction and it is about the same about of time to say "Enemy infantry, bearing ZERO-SEVEN-EIGHT, 600 meters" instead of "Enemy infanty, North East, 600 meters".

It is especially useful if you have a mouse with side buttons, because I bound my compass key to one of those buttons so I can bring my compass and get directions and bearings very easily.

I can't speak from experience but I would definitely think the real military would use compass bearings to point out enemy locations. Unless you are short on time and need to react quickly, then I would think cardinal direction would be used.

Unless you're making an addon that changes this behaviour, your post belongs HERE.