eggbeast

MP COOP GITS EVOLUTION - main thread

you fixed it mate - well done

2.5 update released

credit to Scorpiomidget for fixing the time/R3F etc

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

...is the "resume" after abort option supposed to be working? (LAN)...I'm assuming not yet, right?...been getting some really odd results with that and even crashes at times.
sorry i have no idea what this means - can you provide links/detail? I never play on SP version. have no idea of commands/syntax for it

I suspect there is some logic between the top and bottom that stops code executing on a dedi server, just looking for it now.

Prob something like it waiting for a player object to become available .Right, think i've found the problem.

At the bottom of your main init script you have:

if (isServer and not (local player)) exitWith {}; 

//###########################################################
//################## CLIENT ONLY SCRIPTS ####################
//###########################################################

But further up the script there is this:

waitUntil { !isNull player }; // Wait for player to initialize

That would fit with the behaviour I'm seeing too. I'll check later.

its the built in save feature that's been in there since arma2. When hosting an LAN server (or local Internet server) and you click on "Abort" to exit the mission, this causes the mission to save as you are exiting. Then, back in the lobby menu area you can restart the mission by clicking the "Resume" button. It's a way of resuming a saved MP mission, therefore it's actually a MP feature.

Edited by BigShot

...is the "resume" after abort option supposed to be working? (LAN)...I'm assuming not yet, right?...been getting some really odd results with that and even crashes at times.
do you mean "is it supposed to be working in alpha?" or do you mean "have you made the mission work properly with the save function?"

if it's the former i have no idea - anyone else saving their mission? results? effects?

if it' the latter, what do i do to make this work?

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

quick note on 2.5 - the enemy AI on pongo setting was absolutely awful - we charged them and they couldn't hit a barn door.

restarting now with SAS setting

think finally DEV has working accuracy setting?

yes, I meant to ask if have you made the mission compatible with the save feature. I have no idea if it is working well in Alpha itself or not as your mission is the first one I've tried using it with here in Arma3.

Typically in Arma2 when using it with a simplistic mission with no scripting it works fine...meaning that you click on "suspend" (sorry i said "abort earlier and that was a typo)...and then resuming would put you back where you left off and the mission would play out just fine...However, more often than not, in the more complicated scripted missions (such as Evo, Warfare and others) using the resume function would have 50/50 results.

Sometimes it would seem to work ok, other times it would crash, and yet other times the mission would load and play ok but some mission features might be broken at that point. The feature (unless you turn it off) is always on by default I believe, but what you need to do to get these heavily scripted missions to play nice with it I haven't a clue for you:-(

...but it's a great feature for use with non dedicated mission hosting. Lets you play a few towns at a time with a few friends, and then continue where you left with them at a later date when you all return to play together again. Also great for playing these larger mission alone a little bit at a time.

When I tried using the resume with your mission I got mixed results. 1 time it loaded but it seemed the ai skill was off, the next time it loaded but my character model was all messed up and i couldnt play it, and another time i tried the entire game kept crashing while the mission was attempting to load.

Edited by BigShot

@BigShot

ok thanks - this is useful.

I think evo saved ok in arma 2?

I haven't changed this aspect much at all.

a couple of thoughts:

If you take any items (e.g. vests/backpacks/ NVG/scopes/ weapons) off a dead body (AI or player) this can lead to your body/equipment warping and doing weird stuff and even crashing. we think this is related to the alpha not being fully fleshed out for MP. try taking something out of your buddies backpack to prove that point... we use addbackpackcargoglobal etc but it still doesn't work well

if you take a compass from a dead AI, you will find it does not appear in your inventory until you respawn (after saving loadout), then you will have 4... go figure.

this, more than anything might be messing up your save games. try being clinically pure with your loadout and never loot bodies. it may be beneficial in locally hosted saves. there's not much we can do about this.

I can confirm with 2.5 - on DEV

a) Accuracy seems to have gone right down - we're now playing in suicide squad setting and surviving. ifthis keeps up i will recalibrate the skill settings for the mission. how do others find it in non-DEV?

b) vehicles are now spawning in zones (at last)

c) time and weather works again

d) R3F logistics works again (thanks scorp)

it's made me very happy... just wish DEV would fix the vestitems now

Ok, I will test it out making sure to be "pure" about my loadout (i cant recall previously if I had looted or not so I will keep testing just as you suggested). I will also disable a few mods I have running to be sure there is no conflict there as well.

Regarding accuracy in 2.5:

I've played once (through only 2 towns) in 2.5 thus far on the Bootleg setting and it seemed AI was shooting up in the air alot, so it was too easy. I've seen this at times even before 2.5...getting inconsistant results...meaning if left on the same difficulty settings sometimes it would be way too easy and other times way too difficult. Will keep testing again in 2.5 however and report back when I can.

a) Accuracy seems to have gone right down - we're now playing in suicide squad setting and surviving. ifthis keeps up i will recalibrate the skill settings for the mission. how do others find it in non-DEV?

b) vehicles are now spawning in zones (at last)

c) time and weather works again

d) R3F logistics works again (thanks scorp)

Egg, we havnt stuck 2.5 on yet, just 2.4 with the fix we did earlier.

But that has also triggered a/b/c in your comment.

I suspect that several of the scripts that were not running are now and that's altered (made better) a lot of stuff, I can tell you its like playing a whole new game now.

The accuracy has defo gone done a lot and certainly needs tweaking again, its far too easy now.

Just a quick note guys. There's a small script that I wrote in 2.5. If you look in the parameters, see the last one which is "Run Performance Monitor.. Off/Once a minute/ Once every five minutes"

By mistake, the default of this is set to 1 minute where is really should be off. If you're interested, this script outputs some performance data to the RPT. The script is fairly performance intensive, it uses the entities command which grabs data for everything on the map, which is why it doesn't run very often.

It produces output that may or may not be interesting. :) Here, for example is output while a team of 2 are mopping up the airbase target. See the server idling with a couple of enemy.

"===tky performance output for CO_22_GITS_Evolution_v2-5, Arma3Alpha, 53.103608, Development==="
"FPS 49 Players 2 Entities 80"
"Missiontime 6969 Servertime 19959"
"Occupied Vehicles West 1 East 0"
"Dismounted Men West 1 East 4 Civs 0"
"Airborne West 1 East 0"
"Dead men 5 Animals 0"

Then during the frantic phase of the attack on the Agia Marina town. Server now at 23 FPS with 110 enemies on the ground, plus a couple of helicopters and 14 vehicles.

"===tky performance output for CO_22_GITS_Evolution_v2-5, Arma3Alpha, 53.103608, Development==="
"FPS 23 Players 2 Entities 209"
"Missiontime 7269 Servertime 20259"
"Occupied Vehicles West 1 East 14"
"Dismounted Men West 1 East 110 Civs 0"
"Airborne West 1 East 2"
"Dead men 5 Animals 0"

I find it interesting, seeing how (our new uber) server copes with different amount of AI and indeed players.

Anyway, as I say, it's supposed to be off, so unless you're sad like me and want to read this stuff in your RPT, please change this parameter to off in the MP setup screen before starting the mission. I'll make sure Eggbeast changes it in future versions.

noted! yes it helped me fix the vehicle spawning big T

Ok, did a little test on the suspend/resume in 2.5 (non DEV version of A3):

Playing alone on LAN, everything unlocked, no mods (not even CBA)

no friendly ai recruited, no looting dead bodies

Hit SUSPEND after completing first town (air base), close arma3 down completely

Run arma3 and choose RESUME

Mission runs ok, but the "T" support menu no longer comes up

I Keep playing solo (with no T menu) and finish taking 2nd town, get back to base and Hit SUSPEND, close arma3 down completely

Run arma3 and choose RESUME

As soon as mission loads in I am hit with this error: No Entry 'bin/config.bin.cfgSkeletons'. This causes some weird character anomoly to occur rendering the mission unplayable.

Suspend/resume is a very unknown quantity on missions like this. There's so much going on client side, the support menu for one, that they may not get resumed properly.

Edited by Tankbuster

i did add a reinitialise action for the support menu in spawn script (normally its only in the player init) to fix this. strange it isn't working. i've taken out a conditional test of player height that was in there (previously this was only needed if you died during HALO), so let's see if that works. try respawning after you reconnect and see if the spawn function brings back your T menu. If all else fails i think we put it on 0-0-1?

regaridng skeletons i'm not sure what's going on there - sounds like a bug in soldier class. maybe the stock pbo's are not loading properly? there are plenty of bugs about like this in the alpha, like the MXM rifle which causes fails in the load loadout function because it is not recognised by the game... even though it can be taken from an ammo box... the cfg files for these items is really patchy - lots of half finished sentences in there. on opening it all up i was amazed it even worked at all. look at dyslexci's loadout mod - in this you can use a script to put on civ clothes, red scuba gear etc. now try adding them to an ammobox to put them on in a mission. you get a critical error. could be anything causing your skeleton bug - lots of the kit is held together by luck and string.

2.5 updated with modified skill values (should be better)

i did add a reinitialise action for the support menu in spawn script (normally its only in the player init) to fix this. strange it isn't working. i've taken out a conditional test of player height that was in there (previously this was only needed if you died during HALO), so let's see if that works. try respawning after you reconnect and see if the spawn function brings back your T menu. If all else fails i think we put it on 0-0-1?

regaridng skeletons i'm not sure what's going on there - sounds like a bug in soldier class. maybe the stock pbo's are not loading properly? there are plenty of bugs about like this in the alpha, like the MXM rifle which causes fails in the load loadout function because it is not recognised by the game... even though it can be taken from an ammo box... the cfg files for these items is really patchy - lots of half finished sentences in there. on opening it all up i was amazed it even worked at all. look at dyslexci's loadout mod - in this you can use a script to put on civ clothes, red scuba gear etc. now try adding them to an ammobox to put them on in a mission. you get a critical error. could be anything causing your skeleton bug - lots of the kit is held together by luck and string.

Yep, seems respawning immediately after entering the mission from a RESUME fixes the "T" menu.

Did more testing with suspend/resume skeleton issue...while i can consistently reproduce the skeleton error (see below), I can't tell yet what's causing it...but I've tested with 4 other missions thus far and none but this mission seem to be exploiting the issue, whatever it is.

1. Only happens after a death or respawn occurs to the PLAYER, and you try resuming the mission 2 to 3 times (sometimes it skeleton errors on 2nd resume, sometimes not until 3rd resume)

2. Game MUST be shutdown in between resume attempts or else error does not seem to occur. So, if you keep game running and just keep backing out of mission and resuming the error wont reproduce itself.

3. Playing the mission after entering is not required to get this error, in fact during testing i dont even move my character at all.

4. The 1st time you resume there's never a skeleton error. It appears only after resuming the 2nd or 3rd time (with NO playing taking place or changes).

Oh, PS - forgot to mention that the chopper hitching script doesnt initalize after a resume...was like that in arma2 as well from what i remember.

Edited by BigShot

can you paste in the error message?

can you paste in the error message?

you mean this?:

No Entry 'bin/config.bin.cfgSkeletons'

I already had put it in top post on this page

what player class does this happen for? or is it not affected by that?

there are 13mb of lines in the rpt for the last week on our server, and the word skeletons doesn't appear so it's likely to be strictly a SP issue i think.

Edited by eggbeast

what player class does this happen for? or is it not affected by that?

there are 13mb of lines in the rpt for the last week on our server, and the word skeletons doesn't appear so it's likely to be strictly a SP issue i think.

I tested only a few classes (including the Team leader 1st slot) and it didn't make a difference here. They all got the error by the 3rd resume.

The word "skeleton" appears thousands of times (more than 18,000) in errors in the rpt which is about 13MB in size when the error happens. When there is no error (usually after the 1st resume) my rpt is only about 30k-40k in size.

Host a local internet server on your game machine (non dedi MP) , follow my instructions posted above for producing the error and see if you can actually reproduce it on your end.

Here's the first few lines of thousands that contain the skeleton reference in the rpt:

Obsolete CfgSkeletons for OFP2_ManSkeleton, move to model.cfg

Warning Message: No entry 'bin\config.bin.CfgSkeletons'.

Warning Message: No entry '.OFP2_ManSkeleton'.

Warning Message: No entry '.skeletonInherit'.

Error: Bone weapon doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Error: Bone launcher doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Error: Bone rightarm doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Error: Bone righthand doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Error: Bone lefthand doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Error: Bone head doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Error: Bone rightleg doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Error: Bone rightlegroll doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Error: Bone rightfoot doesn't exist in skeleton OFP2_ManSkeleton

Edited by BigShot

EB,

V2.5, suicide squad with advanced reinforcements

Dedicated Server and Client Hosted Server

Couldn't get the advanced reinforcements option to get the helicopters and patrols to spawn in the hangers at the airport, kept giving an error starting at line 366.

Code changes i made so it worked were:

Starting at line 363, change to:

_helis = [] call _EGG_EVO_airmakebase;
	sleep 1;
	_helia = _helis select 0;
	_heli1a = _helis select 1;
	_heli2a = _helis select 2;
	_heli3a = _helis select 3;

_airguards = [] call _EGG_EVO_airguard;
	sleep 1;
	_airguard1a = _airguards select 0;
	_airguard2a = _airguards select 1;
	_airguard3a = _airguards select 2;
	_airguard4a = _airguards select 3;
	_airguard5a = _airguards select 4;

Note: was using _this (now _helis and _airguards) and wasnt capturing the script results into an array.

Fired it up and had a blast last night doing the airport on Suicide Squad with advanced reinforcements.

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:25 ----------

EB,

Just checked our latest rpt file from running 2.5 for 24hours on a dedi box.

The following error is spammed continously through the file. Not sure if you have already fixed this in your 2.6 release ?

Bad conversion: array
Error in expression <op}] do
{
sleep 1.0;
_bomb = (_airradio nearObjects ["DemoCharge_Remote_Ammo",7]>
 Error position: <nearObjects ["DemoCharge_Remote_Ammo",7]>
 Error 0 elements provided, 3 expected
File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Stratis\scripts\expansion\airc4only.sqf, line 8

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:49 ----------

Fix time being 1hour out, add in rest of missing hours and set default to a 5am start .

Version 2.5

File: description.ext

Line 470 onwards

class Missiontime
{
     //paramsArray[2]  
     	title="Time Of Day";
	values[]={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23};
	texts[]={"00:00","01:00","02:00","03:00","04:00","05:00","06:00","07:00","08:00","09:00","10:00","11:00","12:00","13:00","14:00", "15:00","16:00","17:00","18:00","19:00","20:00","21:00","22:00","23:00"};
	default = 5;
};

thanks man - we have picked up all of these in the last few days and fixed them for 2.6

good effort though - could have used them if we had overlooked them.

2.6 features:

http://www.gitsarma.gamingdeluxe.net/missions/CO_22_GITS_Evolution_v2-6.Stratis.pbo

- FIXED engineers now score points for repairing vehicles

- ADDED enemy minefields in target zones

- FIXED players were losing kit if not saving before dying at mission start

- ADDED accuracy testing system for officer class using 0-0-3 and 0-0-4 if GITS mod set to ON

- ADDED Ifrits to R3F for towing function etc

- FIXED time now correct

- FIXED enemy airfield guards array fixed

- ADDED intro defaulted OFF in GITSmod experimental mode

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

I wonder if this would be of any help:

Short description: Serverside AI skill setting addon with userconfig configuration

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=20002

thanks

I've implemented a small code to test the AI skill settings set by the mission

start with parameter GITS mod ON (default is OFF)

select either bootneck or weekend warrior setting (gives most consistency in AI skill)

take officer class

you can now dial up and down the accuracy of future spawning AI's with the commands 0-0-3 and 0-0-4 for the whole server.

we're going to use this to test tonight and over the weekend and then refine the script.

the overall skill is where we want it. it's jus tthe accuracy that keeps mysteriously changing (even when set on the same setting from one day to the next)

V2.6

error, missing ; on Lines 32+33 in scripts\sinit.sqf

_handle = [] execVM "scripts\expansion\makespetz.sqf"
_handle = [] execVM "scripts\expansion\makeairbase.sqf"

change to

_handle = [] execVM "scripts\expansion\makespetz.sqf";
_handle = [] execVM "scripts\expansion\makeairbase.sqf";

ah yeah - thanks!

with regard to the skill, we're up to 0.27 on the accuracy and it seems pretty balanced... gonna do another town then crank it up to 3...

Have to say Suicide Squad in 2.6 in first 3 towns was far 2 easy with 4 of us .

Luv the enemy mines though :)