eggbeast

MP COOP GITS EVOLUTION - main thread

Hi Egg,

Just an update, Playing this tonight and its looking good, we collected our vechicals as they respwaned else where, but when they respawn they are automatically damaged.

Also, are you going to build in the ability to save mission progress? Might be useful with the servers crashing.

Cheers

Joe.

Edited by Joe1989

Hi Egg,

Just an update, Playing this tonight and its looking good, we collected our vechicals as they respwaned else where, but when they respawn they are automatically damaged.

Also, are you going to build in the ability to save mission progress? Might be useful with the servers crashing.

Cheers

Joe.

th vehicles are working ok then - check the parameters and you'll see 3 that determine the frequency of respawn for abandoned, destroyed and air vehicles. the lighter armed vehicles (ATV,s etc) get pulled back to base as well as aircraft but the rest you have to keep tabs on

TIP

to repair/ recover a vehicle:

engineer (repair/explosives) class x4 in mission

take a toolkit and an ifrit

go to destroyed vehicle (they respawn disabled when destroyed)

make a FARP within 30m of the broken vehicle

if you cannot get in the vehicle, use toolkit on it

get in vehicle, FARP will do the rest

if you have no ifrit present, repair vehicle with toolkit

have a pilot get in the vehicle to localise it to their machine then use the hitch system to tow the vehicle to base, airstrip, docks or fuel station then get in it to repair it as per farp

good work hcp

vecs explosion crash - that's also what i'm thinking - need to design a repro for BIS

markers - you have it as i see it too - will try the pause. the radio script 002 i wrote to do this and test different versions until it worked was then going to implement that for all JIP

however never seen the system work fully well so far so still pondering best solution. anyway thanks for the tip will give it a try

2.4 updated:

lots of little fixes

hopefully some engineer repair points

beware vests dont populate with items in DEV mode - a DEV issue confirmed

new main mission in airbase - destroy 4 helis and a radio tower with demo charges to slow down enemy aircraft/raiders spawns

works ok but MP on dedi doesn't play all the cool alarms and music you get in local host

noticed time parameter works on local host and fails on dedi -weird

Modified 2.3a with a fix for the R3F Logistics failing on a dedicated box setup; ran sweet all last night.

Were just porting the changes over to the new 2.4 to check it works. Will be updating EB with the changes needed shortly .

Anyone else getting the Inventory bug again whereby the screen closes a second or two after you open it ?

V2.4 on a dedi box .

v2.4 crashed again this morning!

INTERESTING DEVELOPMENT - vehicle was up-close (within 100 yards) when I crashed. Anything farther away - 200-300 yards - NO CRASHES! It appears that the issue is limited to a close-in vehicle explosion. So my recommendation is - for now - to limit AT engagements to > 100-150 yards until we get to the bottom of this.

Only myself on a self-hosted LAN game. Everything else same as before. Sitting in the little base on top of the hill overlooking the airfield, shooting down at vehicles.

Once again, no matter which AT rocket is used. RPG / NLAW same crash results.

I made sure this time to test WITHOUT using the SCOPE - using only the "helper" target box, no scope, and it crashed when up close.

Same results on "Pongos" and "Bootnecks" difficulties.

Once again with the PhysX DLL - this implies your theory about the model being the problem is accurate. Relevant crash dump info:

=======================================================

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 61D72F89

Allocator: G:\Arma3\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dll\tbb4malloc_bi.dll

graphics: D3D11

resolution: 5760x1080x32

Addons:

<... SNIP ...>

Mods: A3

Distribution: 0

Version 0.52.103507

Fault time: 2013/03/31 09:39:13

Fault address: 61D72F89 01:00101F89 G:\Arma3\steamapps\common\Arma 3\PhysX3_x86.dll

file: CO_22_GITS_Evolution_v2-4 (__cur_mp)

world: Stratis

Prev. code bytes: C8 83 E1 1F BB 01 00 00 00 D3 E3 8B F0 C1 EE 05

Fault code bytes: 85 1C B7 75 64 8B 4D F4 8B 0C 8A 8B 75 E4 3B 34

Registers:

EAX:7FFFFFFF EBX:80000000

ECX:0000001F EDX:0F7F90B0

ESI:03FFFFFF EDI:12A56800

CS:EIP:0023:61D72F89

SS:ESP:002B:2E3EFAE4 EBP:2E3EFB18

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010217

Anyone else getting the Inventory bug again whereby the screen closes a second or two after you open it ?

V2.4 on a dedi box .

i reinstated the cleanup script at base but moved the respawn locations/added a new marker etc in 2.4

the new cleanup only works in radius of 4m from start spawn and respawn pos. outside of this area you should be able to gear normally, e.g. on crates.

it's supposed to cleanup dropped items, bodies, weird forest of semi connected people

the latter don't delete though need to work out how to get rid of them

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

v2.4 crashed again this morning!

Only myself on a self-hosted LAN game. Everything else same as before. Sitting in the little base on top of the hill overlooking the airfield, shooting down at vehicles.

I made sure this time to test WITHOUT using the SCOPE - using only the "helper" target box, no scope, and it crashed when up close.

Once again with the PhysX DLL - this implies your theory about the model being the problem is accurate. Relevant crash dump info:

yeah we get it now and again but not very often. sometimes get it firing a PG_AT from a ka60 from hovering at base and wepcamming it to the airport...

we've been doing side missions all morning - lots of convoy ambushes - and the RPG strikes are causing the odd crash too - same bug. range 100-200m but then our pilot crashed and she was at base 3km away not involved in the fight lol

weird huh? maybe a sound MP issue that will get resolved idc.

can't easily repro it for reporting

just as well the city vecs are not spawning properly yet

assume you've all noticed the VESTITEMS are not updating in DEV? its a definite dev bug.

lastly - things that work on self hosted and not on MP dedi...

R3f (waiting on scorpio's fix)

time setting parameter (how weird is that? it's in init and mainthread search for date)

alarm script in base in new airbase raid - in a trigger on the server, but music/sound does not play on clients - im a noob at music - anyone know how to easily get it working on clients too?

rescue agent last objective does not update though you can complete the mission by flying to western helipad at beach base

Edited by eggbeast

the new cleanup only works in radius of 4m from start spawn and respawn pos. outside of this area you should be able to gear normally, e.g. on crates.

Was just about to post that if you move away from initial spawn it works. Cheers EB for the info .

yup the vest gear thing is a dev problem, all fine in nondev.

mission runs great, maybe change ifrits to hunter just to stop frequent crashes? or to be consequent, make the evo opfor until its fixed?

just am idea, on dedi, 2.4 crashes instant(dev and nondev) due to sounds and many physx missbehaviours.

mfg

hang in there - it's not THAT bad lol.

will work on bugfixes during alpha then have very polished mission ready for final

working on A2 unsung vietnam also at the moment - we have an unsung server up now in anticipation of 2.5 release from sgt. savage

i'm taking a break from watching a charlie village to type this...

nam1_zps87382eea.jpg

it started raining while i was foruming

nam2_zps98910e2a.jpg

charlie is smoking and jibber jabbering 20 m away

Edited by eggbeast

Arma 3's small island would make a great Vietnam Domination Island. Even Crete and I44. Great work Egg. Any chance of more community add ins on your maps? In arma 2 we for example used the Air support script , was great. It seems so many great heads all making these great maps, imagine a group effort. WOW.... Used on a Dynamic battle map on a server.. Talk about ground breaking. Actually use your favorite force and their kit. Something to ponder I guess for the future. Esp on a ww2 themed server.

BI has come a long way since Op Flash Point and Arma 1. It sucks Cornered Rat and their WW2 online won't work in arma using their outstanding ideas. That style game and map with Arma tech, stand by..

alarm script in base in new airbase raid - in a trigger on the server, but music/sound does not play on clients - im a noob at music - anyone know how to easily get it working on clients too?

Maybe something along the lines of this:

class Item50
	{
		position[]={1969.9734,5.6999998,5732.7661};
		a=200;
		b=200;
		activationBy="EAST";
		repeating=1;
		timeoutMin=20;
		timeoutMid=20;
		timeoutMax=20;
		interruptable=1;
		age="UNKNOWN";
		name="EnemyDetected";
		expActiv="alarmOn = true; hint ""enemy detected""";
		class Effects
		{
		};
	};
	class Item51
	{
		position[]={1969.8131,5.6999998,5732.0991};
		a=0;
		b=0;
		repeating=1;
		timeoutMin=20;
		timeoutMid=20;
		timeoutMax=20;
		interruptable=1;
		age="UNKNOWN";
		name="alarm";
		expCond="alarmOn";
		expActiv="hint ""enemy in area""";
		class Effects
		{
			soundDet="AlarmSfx";
			track="Track07_ActionDark";
		};

I tried including variations of your original condition, but could not meet a true condition for activation such as:

( (("Man" countType thislist) >0) and (alive mast) and (alarmOn) )

( (("Man" countType thislist) >0) and (alive mast) and alarmOn )

damage ID5514 >= 1 and alarmOn

damage ID144021 < 1 and alarmOn

damage ID144021 > 5 and alarmOn

getdamage is not allowed in condition but maybe in scripted version?

Not sure what mast is referring to. No Clear reference in Mission. Maybe Communication Tower built into island ID144021?

I did get the alarm to sound with first example. Though was not on dedi, but I could not get your original version to sound on local host.

The first method works in another mission I built on dedi but activation calls a script to play sound and doesn't use trigger effects.

Nam Unsung Evo is awesome. I just wish the enemy had NV during that era because in game they don't engage at night unless you trip on them. A param to enable disable NV for each side could be cool....

im prolly gonna take NVG out of game in nam

have added torches to some weapons like the AR10 - experiment with H/L key if you'rerunning blazes_weapons. All true m16/m4 root weapons have one

the illumes support in evo was invented for this mission - was BigPickle's idea. his sounds ingame are amazing - rock music in base, VC whistles in wave attacks on hill base, tannoy in village etc...

the alarm works fine on client hosting as it is. mast is created in scripts\expansions\makeairbase. that plus 4 helis to blow up to increase enemy base raider spawn time and heli spawn time

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

yup the vest gear thing is a dev problem, all fine in nondev.

mission runs great, maybe change ifrits to hunter just to stop frequent crashes? or to be consequent, make the evo opfor until its fixed?

just am idea, on dedi, 2.4 crashes instant(dev and nondev) due to sounds and many physx missbehaviours.

mfg

hunters would cause the old arma bug of making you score negative for killing west vehicles

for the vest bug - suggest you all take a pilot smock for now as he can carry +50 in uniform pockets

Egg, your inbox is full - only just noticed and I suspect you didn't get any of my previous pm's.

Quick *hack* to get the R3F vehicle towing working on a dedicated server setup that uses the -server parameter.

1. Open up \R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_LOG\init.sqf.

2. Change line 22 from:

if (isServer) then

To:

if (1==1) then // Was isServer - Didn't work on a dedicated server

Basically the clients were sitting in an endless loop, waiting for the 'attach point' to be broadcast to them ... never happened on a dedi server. (see Line 33 in same file "waitUntil {!isNil "R3F_LOG_PUBVAR_point_attache"};" )

Note: Vehicle towing works, but this is a dirty hack and the script is not running as intended

Edited by Scorpiomidget

thanks mate - i think a3 handles isserver really poorly but not sure of how exactly yet

thanks mate - i think a3 handles isserver really poorly but not sure of how exactly yet

Indeed, isServer seems to work fine on a self hosted server, but when you have -server as a target parameter isServer and isDedicated do not seem to behave as you would expect.

Still investigating what's going on with a mission running as -server .

You need to rember, there is no dediciated server exe yet, were essentially running the game with -server, its not the same as running it from the dedicated exe.

hunters would cause the old arma bug of making you score negative for killing west vehicles

We did that - I opened up the init and changed every reference to the ifrit to a hunter HMG. We agreed to live with the negative scores and deal with the team kill being disabled. We successfully demolished all the hunters with both the RPG and the NLAW on both areas (base and town). I made sure to shoot some using the scope and some using the "helper" sight (with the diamond). Guess what - no crashes until we got to the 3rd mission area (camp bald medicine) (I mean camp rogaine)!!! :)

This is the first time we've been able to play through a single mission area. Kudos for the explosive charge clues (the "charges set" sound) and the new "mission complete" music! Also the first time we were able to progress through the ranks. That sound was commented to be a bit long. I didn't mind it myself however.

Point being that the hunter will also cause this crash, but not as frequently as the irfit. I was hiding behind a barricade because I was being shot at. Didn't even see the vehicle as I was on top of the hill and my buddy was down the side of the hill in sight of the vehicle. The very first hunter kill with the NLAW at Rogaine is what crashed us. Hunter was within 100 meters. Another thing about the vehicles - I'm really enjoying being able to shoot out the tires to get the troops to abandon the trucks. That might be a good alternative for people who suffer the bug like we do. Just shoot out the tires to get them to abandon the truck, and presto you don't need to blow it up. I am unsure why only on this mission the trucks cause crashes. We played other missions downloaded from Armaholic and in each and every time we can blow the trucks - either kind - with zero crashes. The Treasure Hunt mission comes to mind. That makes me think there is something with the EH assigned to the vehicles in Evo or something in the vehicle respawn scripts that isn't working with A3. Now that I think out loud... I could test this by adding new enemy vehicles NOT spawned by the scripts... just add some random enemy vehicles near the spawn area, then test shooting them with the RPG. I think that would help confirm by process of elimination whether the scripted vehicles are the issue vs. a graphics bug.

We also changed the difficulty to that above boot necks - regimentals I believe is their name? At this difficulty it actually became a challenge since the bad guys actually shoot AT you and not AROUND you as previously described.

We're using no mods BTW.

Here's the latest crash dump with the hunters being the vehicles:

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 65F22F89

Allocator: G:\Arma3\steamapps\common\Arma 3\dll\tbb4malloc_bi.dll

graphics: D3D11

resolution: 5760x1080x32

Addons:

< SNIP >

Mods: A3

Distribution: 0

Version 0.52.103507

Fault time: 2013/03/31 18:41:12

Fault address: 65F22F89 01:00101F89 G:\Arma3\steamapps\common\Arma 3\PhysX3_x86.dll

file: GITS2.3 (__cur_mp)

world: Stratis

Prev. code bytes: C8 83 E1 1F BB 01 00 00 00 D3 E3 8B F0 C1 EE 05

Fault code bytes: 85 1C B7 75 64 8B 4D F4 8B 0C 8A 8B 75 E4 3B 34

Registers:

EAX:7FFFFFFF EBX:80000000

ECX:0000001F EDX:0F6010B0

ESI:03FFFFFF EDI:13DADC00

CS:EIP:0023:65F22F89

SS:ESP:002B:2DA1FAE4 EBP:2DA1FB18

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010217

You need to rember, there is no dediciated server exe yet, were essentially running the game with -server, its not the same as running it from the dedicated exe.

As far as the isServer and isDedicated commands are concerned, it's exactly the same.

Egg, made some more progress on the R3F Logistics dedicated server problem.

Remove the R3F Logistics hack on Line 22 of \R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_LOG\init.sqf

Now open up the main init.sqf file.

Cut the section of code that loads the R3F script.

//R3F Arty and logistics
if ((helicopterhitch == 1) || (helicopterhitch == 2)) then
{
execVM "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\init.sqf";
};

and paste it just after

helicopterhitch = paramsarray select 1;

For some reason when that script is being exec'd at the bottom it stops working correctly on a dedi setup.

Am now checking through the code to work out why it fails at its original position.

Edited by Scorpiomidget

Hmm, guys in my server got all the way to Girina or what ever that town is called, without crash my pc is getting worked on but as of yesterday morning server has'nt crashed for awhile now, last crash was i believe due to the rifle scopes an back packs. Though I do recall last week or so an Ifrit crashing it.

Egg, made some more progress on the R3F Logistics dedicated server problem.

Remove the R3F Logistics hack on Line 22 of \R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\R3F_LOG\init.sqf

Now open up the main init.sqf file.

Cut the section of code that loads the R3F script.

//R3F Arty and logistics
if ((helicopterhitch == 1) || (helicopterhitch == 2)) then
{
execVM "R3F_ARTY_AND_LOG\init.sqf";
};

and paste it just after

helicopterhitch = paramsarray select 1;

For some reason when that script is being exec'd at the bottom it stops working correctly on a dedi setup.

Am now checking through the code to work out why it fails at its original position.

that's mental

are you saying that moving it to the top of the init makes it work on a dedi?

or is it something else?

is that a 100% fix?

that's mental

are you saying that moving it to the top of the init makes it work on a dedi?

or is it something else?

is that a 100% fix?

I suspect there is some logic between the top and bottom that stops code executing on a dedi server, just looking for it now.

Prob something like it waiting for a player object to become available .

---------- Post added at 16:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

Right, think i've found the problem.

At the bottom of your main init script you have:

if (isServer and not (local player)) exitWith {}; 

//###########################################################
//################## CLIENT ONLY SCRIPTS ####################
//###########################################################

But further up the script there is this:

waitUntil { !isNull player }; // Wait for player to initialize

On a dedi setup it will stop processing at this point as the condition will never become true.

Interestingly theres some code past this point for the date ... another thing that doesnt work correctly on a dedi setup.

---------- Post added at 16:37 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

I guess you'll either need to modify

waitUntil { !isNull player }; // Wait for player to initialize

To something like

if (!isDedicated) then { waitUntil { !isNull player }; }; // Wait for player to initialize

Or refactor the code after that line but before the Client only section and move the relevant items further up the script .

As a test i applied the above change and code now executes properly on a dedi setup and the date seems to work now (though it looked to be 1hour out).

Edited by Scorpiomidget

...is the "resume" after abort option supposed to be working? (LAN)...I'm assuming not yet, right?...been getting some really odd results with that and even crashes at times.