eggbeast

MP COOP GITS EVOLUTION - main thread

There seams to be a bug with this mission when players return. We are running V1.4 (Downloaded tonight) and unfortunally users can get in normally when first starting the mission but when returning the mission crashes the clients game when loading.

Cheers

Joe.

Same here.

are you playing a dev version?

we're NOT

we're on it now - filter got GITS, add me on steam GITSEggbeast and i'll give you the password, see if you can join our server

love your Evo mission, I love even more your first post of release information, issues, features, etc.

Well, first I would like to say that the 1.4 version is the most stable/light version so far... Thank you!!!

Second, I'm not sure if it's EVO or A3 problem (I guess it's A3), but I'm posting here anyway to see if anybody else had it (also I'm going to check the feedback to see if others had the same problem).

One is that after flying a little, I hovered over the sea for a couple of minutes and after landing I kept listening drowning sounds, as if my player was drowning, tried respawning but it got even worse...

Two is this: There was a guy in the gunner position, when I tried to get in as pilot, this is what happened...

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q657/Rickschaves/2013-03-17_00001_zps1fa2b3e9.jpg (106 kB)

I had the option to enter again, but the same thing happened, and it didn't give me the option to get off, so I had to respawn...

Anyway, best version so far... Congratulations!

Rick

Other than the marker positions still swapping around (I know, 002), the mission is running great now.

Eggbeast, have a look at this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150293-iniDB-Save-and-Load-data-to-the-server-or-your-local-computer-without-databases!

Is that something you could incorporate into the mission? Would be pure awesome.

i'll take a look

the main focus for development now is:

a) side missions (press U/assignments) - need porting - i wrote half of them and the others are very familiar as i've re-written the mall over the years, so shouldn't be hard

b) enemy vehicles in city areas and reinforcements moving into city (in vecs/ helis)

news just in: our host www.Gamingdeluxe.co.uk has launched a permanent GITS Evolution server - just filter for GITS

Another note: After dying the first time, the U menu doesn't open anymore. Is that only here? Version 1.4.

Hey Egg mate, do you have a problem with me because it seems like you do, if so then please just tell me why and what I have done wrong ?

Haz

Had an epic match today.

1 hour to capture the Airfield with 4 guys.Divers only.360° combat,enemies everywhere.:coop:

This is Arma.:yay:

Edited by Alistair

filter got GITS, add me on steam GITSEggbeast and i'll give you the password

this wasn't directed at me, but I still added you on Steam, I hope you don't mind. there are so few servers running your mission, and those that do have all kinds of crazy shit happening on them, I just wanted to ask for permission to join your server.

but seeing as you are now also running a public dedi, I guess I should try that first :)

just curious...has anyone tested saving/restarting on an LAN yet with this?...if so are there any issues to be aware of?

just curious...has anyone tested saving/restarting on an LAN yet with this?...if so are there any issues to be aware of?

Be as well running a dedicated server on LAN rather than LAN option in game.

Be as well running a dedicated server on LAN rather than LAN option in game.

I haven't a clue as to what you just said there.

I haven't a clue as to what you just said there.

:)

If your running it on LAN setup one of the PCs as the server. Dont click LAN in game and host the mission on one of the clients.

I think you're advising to run this mission only on a dedicated machine. Egg, is a dedi actually required for this to run?...either way though still would like to know if the save feature works or not.

:)

If your running it on LAN setup one of the PCs as the server. Dont click LAN in game and host the mission on one of the clients.

*WAVES* Hi, KD!!

well we play on dedi mostly. not sure about saving - seems to work but doesn't acknowledge stuff like class changes when you return...

lots of progress today (thanks tanky):

- working on suggested server profile to optimise AI and settings for best mission fun

- made a POW camp a la arma 1 evo - you now have to bring back captives to POW camp to get the points

- changed tower models to land_communications_F - thanks tanky. setting them 5m down in the floor makes them a more reasonable height - took ages to realise that standing right next to it you are still 14m away from it... duh thanks BIS!

- added mortar rounds (flares, smoke, laser etc) to camp mortars and spawned/support menu mortars

- added working flares/smoke to support options

- added global ammo crate for dumping found stuff into when you leave server

- added chem lights and UGL flares to ammo crates

- massively tidied up ammo crates - made all gear - hat, uniform, vest, pack, weapons, tools etc work logically for each rank. much cleaner and less confusing now

- fixed reinforcements

- fixed enemy vehicle spawning in towns

tired now - will release sometime tomorrow when i've finalised the officer capture (currently spawned in AI can be captured and led to POW camp, but the officer spawned in evo_erec script for some weird reason won't join my group... reminds me of arma 1 rage days lol

Anyway to tone down the AI difficulty? Even on "recruit" mode they can pinpoint snipe you from pretty far away. Playing this with 10 people might be alright but I'm trying to run with just a buddy and its not very fun. I can see it being a lot more fun if the AI were less accurate / took slightly longer to acquire you as a target.

Myself an only a frind on my server, ya gotta improvise sometimes :rolleyes:

Anyway to tone down the AI difficulty? Even on "recruit" mode they can pinpoint snipe you from pretty far away. Playing this with 10 people might be alright but I'm trying to run with just a buddy and its not very fun. I can see it being a lot more fun if the AI were less accurate / took slightly longer to acquire you as a target.

I can sympathise. the mission is designed to be very hard. there are a whole lot of things you can do:

chiefly there are three strategies to improving your fun and balancing the game:

1. make a custom profile

which sets the enemy skill as high as possible but sets their precision fairly low to give you extended firefights. with high "precisionenemy" the enemy aimbot you to death and it's not much fun - we are working on one at the moment and will release details when we've calibrated the variables. steam writes over your profile every time you load it, so you need to make it read-only. I ported our A2 profile settings into A3 and Tankbuster has been working his socks off to understand the hosting issues. he got it working late last night and we just need to calibrate the enemy variables properly over the next few days.

2. tweak the parameters

you can modify the parameters for your mission at start. The screenshots below show you how. The main parameters to consider changing are:

- "enemy presence" - this varies from 100% of enemy to 50% to 33% to 25%. Default is set to 100% and is challenging for an experienced team. Try turning this down a notch.

- "reinforcement delay" - this isn't working properly yet, as the reinforcements are not behaving properly. hopefully it will be fixed soon. anyway, if they were working you'd be in more trouble than you are! set this to 5 minutes, the default is 4 mins. for hardcore, set it to 2 mins. how does it work? basically once you get the enemy infantry OR tank count below about 80% of their start value (and so long as the radio tower) is alive, reinforcements spawn every so often and come into the tower area, looking for a fight. as with all arma missions there are many ways to win. sneaking in to the tower with silencers and taking it down before killing 20% of the enemy means reinforcements will never be called. it's a completely different game to trying to batter your way in with vehicles.

- "colonel rank points" - default is 180, but you can set it to 6 if you're wanting all of the artillery options (currently not available as alpha has no working bombs) from the get-go. Call them in on your U menu. It also means you can access all the best kit (bigger backpacks, better weapons, aircraft and armoured vehicles (as they are added to the game they will feature in the mission in this way, currently a ka60 is set to colonel rank, it would normally be a lieutenant class vehicle).

- "Extra weapons" - currently set to ON. This allows players to create a unique item depending on their class, normally if they are carrying the right equipment for their class. once they are available, MG class will be able to spawn a static MG if they are carrying an MX200, GL guy can spawn a GMG, AA guy can spawn an AA gun, AT guy can spawn an AT launcher, etc - (currently all they can spawn is a mortar! as nothing is released yet). Importantly this feature also uparms planes and vehicles. In A2 for example this makes the 2 A10's have different loadouts - 1 has 8 mavericks and the other has lots more hydras and GAU8 rounds, and all planes have improved AA capability. If you're not a realism nut then this can really make the difference in our mission.

- "AI support" - you can recruit AI with U menu. if you set this to ranked you start out with 2 options, if you set it to unlocked you can call in an 8 man team to help you/ distract the enemy.

- "player rank lock" - set both vehicles and weapons to unlocked for easiest play

- Area artillery cost - turn this up to inhibit public players who like to arty your carefully planned ambush! turn it down to bring carnage when you're feeling bruised by the relentless enemy.

screenies

NOTE: the default settings are challenging but fair. The screenshots below demonstrate the parameter range from easy to insane.

parameters menu button

params1_zps5126266e.jpg

easy settings

easy_zpsc44aa713.jpg

hard settings

hard_zps86d4fd99.jpg

3. play strategy

ok there are many ways to play this mission, but here are a few tips:

1. prepare - decide what you are going to do (stealth or steamroller) and choose best classes to go with this.

stealth tactics

-- The spy class (currently still porting my code from A2) can do the mission alone if he is careful to avoid detection.

-- The officer is good because he can make a reconHQ, which you can always spawn at even if it is broken.

-- having a sniper on overwatch makes a lot of sense. with the ladder function (not ported yet) he can get on roofs and then pick off key enemies in the way of the infiltration team - my youtube vids have a good example of sniper ownage in A2 fallujah map.

-- a back-up apache (or ka60) standing off at 3km is also useful to pick off enemy vehicles selected by the recon team. don't let him go caveman and kill everything or you will be overwhelmed by reinforcements flooding into the AO.

steamroller tactics

-- engineer sets up FARP at position in good cover with nice run into the area (e.g. gully, street between buildings, along beach in defillade with ocean or open ground to rear). this can be used to repair captured vehicles and turn them on the enemy, as well as repairing and rearming your own vehicles.

-- set up MHQ in cover to rear of FARP - this is your layup position - respawn here if you need some breathing room (e.g. if reconHQ is flooded)

-- put some armoured vehicles to front of FARP ideally with some houses, huts, rocks, walls or fortifications offering some flank or track cover for the vehicles.

layup team then panels the town from here, moving forward 100m at a time to pre-arranged points. Bring a spare repair truck (ifrit) and make new farps at each new objective. use the reconHQ to spawn at these points, keep MHQ in rear. medics make a MASH near your firing position to heal at.

-- have sniper sit back at MHQ and use laser designator to call air support (when available in A3)

-- have AA guy sitting near rear FARP taking out the aircraft

lastly

- make sure you have a demo charge for the tower - drag it to your pack with left button to avoid it disappearing

- be sure to save your loadout at the ammo crates/reconHQ/ flag

- DO NOT kill civs or the officer or POWs as you get punished with score loss

- use U/Transfer to join each others' team so you can see each other

- ALWAYS carry 10 first aid kits and 10 grenades

- if you are really struggling: (good tip for new players in your team) in the U menu select options and turn the grass off if you need to be able to see enemies while lying prone. to turn it back on, use the bottom slider to turn it past 2, then click transfer or any other menu before closing the dialog.

if you want to play with an experienced crew add me on steam and we'll show you the ropes.

my mission guide goes into the mission features at length

dyslexcis arma tactics guide is an awesome intro to playing arma coherently.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

Myself an only a frind on my server, ya gotta improvise sometimes :rolleyes:

your buddy should learn the rifle barrel is LOWER than the sight in arma. you can't just shoot what you see in your sight lol, it's not COD.

gotta admire your use of concrete barriers and minefields though! genius.

Edited by eggbeast

Yeah that was me lol, still gettin feel for the game(even now) the mission plays very well but til dedi/BE comes have to keep it locked,can't treat it more realistically til than to open it back up an run more realistic settings/tactics.

shame the grenades don't bounce like they did in A2, otherwise you could have turned 180 and bounced a nade back over your head right on that guy

here's a vid of me playing lone sniper in evolution in fallujah (A2) with loads of CQ action and a lot of usage of built in class perks like ladders and statics, gas and nades

I have been running this on my server for a few days now.

It has been running very good.

in 1.4 the only bug I have seen is the objective reverting back to the airbase until you clear the current objective. Then it will move on to the next objective.

I would like to see random AO's instead of the set ones if possible. Change it up a bit.

Great work. I look forward to your releases.

Great job on the patching, hell of fun playing your mission Big thx.