Sign in to follow this  
Z-Nine

Unsure why dedicated server is crashing. Recommended/ballpark dedicated server specs?

I'm not too savvy in the dedicated server department. I've successfully put up a server. However, whenever I try to run any server it typically crashes within a minute or so of the server running. I'm not sure if it's due to specs or if I should be looking elsewhere.

It's a virtual dedicated I purchased a 'bit ago.

Windows 2008 Web

QEMU virtual CPU (cpu64) 3.5ghz

1026 mb Ram

50GB Hard-Drive

1000GB Bandwidth

Edit: Meant to post in servers and administration. Sorry

Edited by NuclearDruid

Virtualization tech isn't really that great for hosting servers, for a vast number of reasons. (Presuming you have the relevant requirements installed on the server) From glancing at the VS' specs, you have about 512mb lee-way when it comes to RAM and a virtual, single-core CPU which will impact the performence of your server heavily and are the most likely cause for the crashes due to lack of resources.

Honestly, I'd advise using the games min specs as a guideline (to be on the safe side) for the sort of hardware you'd need until they release standalone files.

Arma 3 server side is very CPU intesive, even without AI. Clock Speed is always a problem. Also, I think the minimum OS for Server is Windows Server 2008 R2 because its the Windows 7 equivilant which supports DX11, Server 2008 is the Vista equivilant.

Minimum Clock speed should be around 3GHZ, you can get by with less but more people the lower the frames. You could probably get by with a Core i3 Dual Core at 3GHz+ if you only run one instance and is dedicated to Arma 3.

I run a 2.5 Ghz Dual Quad and it runs about 25-30% on 40+ players, but only uses 2 cores. Frame is an issue though, so I'm trying to find a cost-effective dual core high clock server.

I've found most crashes so far are caused by sh*tty missions more than anything else.

Even bad missions just sitting in the MPMissions folder and not actually running can cause crashes on server startup.

Is it happening after a mission is actually started, or a short while after the server is started but sitting at lobby?

Edited by Lokyi

I've found most crashes so far are caused by sh*tty missions more than anything else.

Even bad missions just sitting in the MPMissions folder and not actually running can cause crashes on server startup.

Is it happening after a mission is actually started, or a short while after the server is started but sitting at lobby?

Specifically during the start of missions. Even missions where I have on unit on the map (just me). I'm not sure if it's due to the lack of dedicated server files. I do have windows 2008 r2 and downloaded directx for proper support. Worse comes to worse I'll upgrade the server. The problem with upgrading a VDS is that the price is increased by almost 1/3rd to upgrade an aspect of the CPU or RAM. It would be somewhat detrimental to upgrade the server and find that it actually wasn't needed.

Until the point of crash the server is extremely responsive. Gear is equipped almost instantly, even with the script with all equipment. Where before I couldn't even equip uniforms when it was client-sided hosted by my friends with modern PC's. I'd really like to know the true cause before I fork out an additional 15-20 dollars extra a month into the server.

It's not lack of hardware grunt that's making it crash. You haven't set it up properly.

Follow the setup thread in this forum carefully! Check your arma3.rpt for errors. Remove all missions you've uploaded, and comment out the mission cycle sections in your server.cfg. Turn persistent off and disable BattlEye (if you've copied a server.cfg from some ARMA2 guide). Using the #monitor command to check how much RAM it's using while you play.

You should easily be able to run a basic mission by yourself without it crashing due to hardware resources.