Sign in to follow this  
mdgrim

Noob mission editor requires assistance with multiplayer respawns

Alright, so as the title says, I'm a beginner at creating missions for Arma in general, today was my first attempt at it. As of now I have 20 'playable' units (one of those being 'player' of course), multiple vehicles for use, 6 or so objectives (tasks working, waypoints for tasks, completion notifications, etc) to secure locations in and around a town/destroy hostile equipment, and enemy/friendly AI that behave in specific ways, including patrols. Now the one thing I am having issues with is, as has already been stated, respawns. I am going to explain everything I have done to attempt to get this working.

The playable units for this mission are bluefor, so I put a marker near my original spawn location called Respawn_West, I made a file called description which is a .ETX file type. Inside of said file I had this: respawn = "BASE"; respawnDelay = 15; respawnDialog = false; (also tried with the number 3 instead of BASE). The file was then put into my Arma 3 MPMissions folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\MPMissions), Arma 3 was closed and relaunched. Launched mission in a multiplayer session, got my unit killed, respawned as a seagull for a split second, then mission ended. This happened no matter what I tried, attempted moving the marker named Respawn_West (also tried variations such as "Respawn_West", respawn_west, "respawn_west", etc)... Am I missing something? As far as I know all that is necessary for multiplayer respawning is a .ETX file with those pieces of script in it, in the MPMissions folder with the mission, and a marker named respawn_west. Any help would be appreciated :). It seems I quite enjoy creating scenarios from the what I accomplished today.

***EDIT***

Alright, so here is what I just attempted... I put the mission file AND the .ETX in their own folder named the same thing as the mission (so for example: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\MPMissions\test%20mission.Stratis), launched Arma 3, made a mp match and click the map name. I looked in the upper right corner and saw Respawn: BASE !!! I couldn't believe it! So I click play, the game froze for a moment as if it were loading said mission... But decided to do nothing except reset the background music and aerial view. It seems I now have a different issue to be dealt with (I took the mission out of the folder and it launched fine, just no respawn).

Edited by mdgrim
New finds in attempting to solve my own issue.

Well, you are correct in that description.ext needs to be in the same folder as the mission.sqm. But since im a little confused by the back and forth of what you have done so far, (I'm a simple man) I'll try to do this step by step the way i do it

1. create a mission and place 1 bluefor soldier as player.

2. create a marker called: respawn_west // This needs to be placed where you want to spawn.

3. save mission as respawntest (or whatever you want). // Save in the User mission category for now.

4. go to my documents and find the Arma 3 Alpha folder.

5. Find your mission in the Missions folder.

6. Open respawntest.stratis folder, assuming you saved it as that in step 3.

7. Create a file called description.ext // make sure you have file extensions enabled, or else it will end up beeing a file called description.ext.txt

8. copy what i've written below into the description.ext

respawn = "BASE";

respawnDelay = 15;

respawnDialog = true;

9. play mission and try it out. if it works then save it and export it to MP missions.

(10.) Alternatively, and this is what i prefer: Create a folder called MPMissions in your Arma 3 Alpha folder under my documents, and copy the finished mission folder (respawntest.stratis) to there. If you do this correctly, your mission will show up in the multiplayer select mission screen in blue text. and you can edit it directly from there.

-------

After you have done this once, you can compare it to the way you did it in your own mission, and work out what you did wrong in that. I hope this helps.

By the way, i assume you have used modules exclusivly to create your tasks? How exactly did you do that?

4. go to my documents and find the Arma 3 Alpha folder.

5. Find your mission in the Missions folder.

6. Open respawntest.stratis folder, assuming you saved it as that in step 3.

7. Create a file called description.ext // make sure you have file extensions enabled, or else it will end up beeing a file called description.ext.txt

^ This seems to be the solution for your problem as far as I can tell. You said you put the description.ext into your SteamApps-Folder, not into the one at "My Documents".

If you put it into the MpMissions-Folder under "..\My Documents\Arma 3 Alpha" (where the .sqf-File is located) and export it as a MP Mission, the code will be included at the end of the .pbo-File in the SteamApps-Folder

Thanks guys, I didn't know about the .sqf file and mission information being in the My documents area, my mission was not in the MPMissions section (simply in missions for some reason even though I exported as mp) so I copy/pasted it's folder over in the mp section and placed the .ext inside. Respawns are now working :), I have not setup a vehicle respawn yet and that is because I slightly worried that said vehicles will just respawn at the marker instead of where they were originally placed.