Sign in to follow this  
DCeighty8

Arma 3 Lobby timeout setting

We have a dedicated server running with a map rotation, but the timeout at the lobby (waiting for everyone to ready up) is defaulted to 9000 seconds. Not a big deal with an admin on who can force start the round, but if an admin isn't on it's a far stretch to get 40 people readied up in a reasonable amount of time. The only info I can find on changing this setting is using BEC config.cfg, which doesn't exist to my knowledge in ARMA 3 yet. Anyone have any advice?

Bump. Same Issue.

Edit:

Let me save you the effort of reading through this entire thread, it gets ugly beyond this post:

As far as we all know, there isn't a way to modify that timeout yet. I hope someone has already added this as a feature request because I've been having problems accessing the a3 bug-tracker (never got my password reset email).

Edited by Scroll_Tro0L

If you don't have an admin on then you aren't adminning the server. If you arent on, do you care?

Allow voting admins in, may resolve this for you

If you don't have an admin on then you aren't adminning the server. If you arent on, do you care?

Allow voting admins in, may resolve this for you

I don't think you understand the issue. We have a dedicated server running TDM matches all the time. It rarely crashes and runs great. We have 3 or 4 admins currently for the server, when they are on it can be skipped. But there are times (like when people sleep or work) when there can't be an admin on. In between missions it sits at a lobby time out for 9000 seconds. Seems excessive. The server is pretty much always full whether we are on or not, so yes I do care, as I want people playing on my server to have fun regardless if I'm there or not. We have voting admins on to kind of fix this right now, but it's not a great fix and not how we want to resolve it.

You're response was fairly rude, if you hadn't actually attempted to give an answer it would be of been pretty much spam.

It isn't possible. You might try putting in a feature request.

I thought my response was practical. If you want your server running well for all timezones, you will need to cover it with admins. They do more than just start missions, so even if the mission start delay was reduced you still havent resolved the issue of what players are like in a public non organised gameplay scenario.

Eventually those new to the game engine, of which it appears you are also one will learn some of the idosyncrisis and therefore issues like these will become less of a problem

Eventually I am sure we will have more admins, but for the time being this is how it is. Myself and the others have a fair amount of experience running servers between us (most of which is with the Arma engine, not sure what part makes you think we are new to this), so trust me when I say we know how being an admin goes when you have a popular server up 24/7. We are also the type that aren't going to trust any sort of person off the server to be an admin. A bad admin can earn your server a rather dark reputation really quickly. Even with a large pool of admins, there are always times when an admin can't be on. It happens, and it'd be nice if I server didn't have to trust a random pub being voted to admin power to make it playable. If an admin needs to take a break to go eat lunch and he is the only one on, the server shouldn't have to sit through a 9000 second time out. I am going to post a feature request, but I was hoping someone would find a way around this in the meantime. Once Battleye is enable of course this will not be an issue anymore.

I too would like to know if this is a setting that we have access to. If anyone's found it, please share.

I too am very interested in this question

Edited by Dimon

It isn't possible. You might try putting in a feature request.

I thought my response was practical. If you want your server running well for all timezones, you will need to cover it with admins. They do more than just start missions, so even if the mission start delay was reduced you still havent resolved the issue of what players are like in a public non organised gameplay scenario.

Eventually those new to the game engine, of which it appears you are also one will learn some of the idosyncrisis and therefore issues like these will become less of a problem

Think you are completely missing the question...

In a public game, 9000 seconds countdown atm, is WAY TO long and games don't start, people leave after a match usually. People go AFK and don't ready up, please crash and don't ready up. Vote Kick / Vote Admin depending on settings needs like a 90% vote, and I've only see that happen like once in ARMA 2. This question stands either with or without admins, 9000 is uncalled for. Sure its a simple mistake, but it needs fixed.

The question at hand still perfectly stands. It was a setting you could set in ARMA 2, now with A3 its 9000 seconds, which is One Hour and 33mins...

Terox pretty much nailed it. If you're so worried about it, at least auto-start with one mission.

Remember, this is an Alpha, not a full-blown release. There's a lot of stuff missing at the moment, but we're here to TEST stuff, not treat it like the full game has just been released.

Terox pretty much nailed it. If you're so worried about it, at least auto-start with one mission.

Remember, this is an Alpha, not a full-blown release. There's a lot of stuff missing at the moment, but we're here to TEST stuff, not treat it like the full game has just been released.

You also missed the question, and the thread..

Once a mission ends, and a new one starts, having to rely on the players to Ready up, is like asking drug addicts to quit drugs. Most do, but you always have the stragglers. A option just to lower the timeout would solve this, and a feature request made on the Alpha page.

It's not a matter if enough admins, or none.

I'm not sure why you guys think this is hardly a issue. Go play on public servers atm, and ones without admins, soon as mission is done, server empties, than if enough leave, a vote admin gets voted with like 1-2 people, and it starts, than the server takes 30mins to fill back up.

Yes its Alpha, we get it. Thanks for letting us know. We are just stating the obvious here. Can we stop acting like this is NOT a issue, when it is? Every game since Alpha launched, without a admin or one voted (which by the way is like 90% and most players don't know how to , even when told, your 99% not gonna get a voted admin in).

I've seen you say this in a number of threads now and it's probably the least helpful thing I've read yet. Honestly, I understand completely it's an alpha, I understand this is something they overlooked probably, so I made a post about it. If I don't will anyone? Will they never notice it? I am testing stuff and posting about it rather than not. Not to mention maybe despite it being an alpha, there may be an option that I missed somewhere. Seriously think about what you're posting. I'm not whining and complaining, I'm looking for a solution or at least letting BI know there is an issue.

EDIT: KilrBe3 gets it. Thank you.

It hasn't been overlooked, believe me. The point of the Alpha is to test specific things, which is why they release it with so little content.

Now, if you read this: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148288-Dedicated-server-status

Then you would see the Server Administration - WIP

Pretty much answers the question, no?

No.

(My last post is apparently under mod review and it contained some rather rude words pointed in your direction)

Well it is Alpha. Stuff has been intentionally left out. People are acting like it's a full-blown game missing features, and their entire world is crumbling down because of it. There's no need for carrying-on, just put up a feature request and ask people to vote on it, you don't see Dslyecxi in here ranting and raving.

Well it is Alpha. Stuff has been intentionally left out. People are acting like it's a full-blown game missing features, and their entire world is crumbling down because of it. There's no need for carrying-on, just put up a feature request and ask people to vote on it, you don't see Dslyecxi in here ranting and raving.

You still don't get it, I'm done talking to someone who can't grasp a simple concept. We already know this is Alpha, you can stop repeating yourself. We fully know what a Alpha is.

You still don't get it, I'm done talking to someone who can't grasp a simple concept. We already know this is Alpha, you can stop repeating yourself. We fully know what a Alpha is.

Why so much hate man? it's simple; put in a formal request, link it on the forums and get people to upvote it. It's that easy.

http://feedback.arma3.com/my_view_page.php

Why so much hate man? it's simple; put in a formal request, link it on the forums and get people to upvote it. It's that easy.

http://feedback.arma3.com/my_view_page.php

I think you need to go back and read the original post, because I was asking if anyone knew a work around for the time being. You have provided nothing other than a head ache. I know it's not complete, I mention this in the original post, saying that BE is not yet implemented. Go away if you don't have anything to do other than pretend like we are whining about an incomplete game, because that is so far from what is happening.

See? start with that instead of accusing me of being some whiny B**** complaining about an incomplete game. Because the way you started this conversation was completely inappropriate. It's not that hard to at least ATTEMPT to help.

See? start with that instead of accusing me of being some whiny B**** complaining about an incomplete game. Because the way you started this conversation was completely inappropriate. It's not that hard to at least ATTEMPT to help.

I never accused you of whining, and Terox did in form you in post #5 http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148026-Arma-3-Lobby-timeout-setting&p=2328145&viewfull=1#post2328145 and you're somehow taking it out on me?

I think it started to go south right off the bat when someone implied that the OP wasn't properly admining his server. If it was just kept to fact, that this isn't possible yet, it probably wouldn't have gone this far off the rails.

jm2c

I think it started to go south right off the bat when someone implied that the OP wasn't properly admining his server. If it was just kept to fact, that this isn't possible yet, it probably wouldn't have gone this far off the rails.

jm2c

Yeah you're right. I shouldn't of encouraged the scrapping so much myself and just kept it to the topic at hand. Anyways hopefully if someone comes up with a work around they will post it here :)

I cant remember any setting on an OFP/A1/A2 server that automated the start up procedure in the way described.

I was under the impression that unless there was an admin to start the mission, be it a password logged in admin or a voted in admin then unless all the players greened up, the mission just wouldn't launched.

Am I missing something here ?

If so what was the config entry for it

I don't see an issue with a cfg defined timeout value to autostart a mission providing there is no admin logged in, so good luck with your ticket for that

However

I personally do not want auto start to occur if there is an admin logged in, that should be manual start only

To me a server without an admin to control it becomes unruly rapidly

That isn't to say its the server owners fault, because its difficult to get cover 24/7

But when its not covered and your regulars are not on it, does it really make any difference how its running. If the answer to you is YES, I want my server to be run the way I want it (As we all do) there is still no substitute for a good admin and there never will be.

I am not being derogatory or undermining anyone ability here, its just the truth of what goes on when there is nobody around to police it.

My server is running right now playing some TDM rubbish, the amount of tk;s that are going on will be high, but it aint a gaming session we are running and its just online so others can make use of it while we are not using it