Sign in to follow this  
Taosenai

In-game debugging tools

Hi all,

This is a very simple addon which allows you to open the BI debugging tools from within gameplay. This is very helpful for mission makers and mod devs who want to try stuff on the fly. Might also help you debug issues with the Alpha!

I did not make the debug tools -- they are included with Arma 3 and are made by BI.

Press Shift-Ctrl-F12 to open the BIS Splendid Debug (public) tool.

Press Shift-Ctrl-Alt-F12 to open the BIS Splendid Debug (advanced)tool.

In multiplayer, you must be the host or the admin.

Requires the A3 Alpha version of CBA, available in this forum.

Debugging tool screenshot

Tao A3 Debug Tools 1.1 download

Changes:

---

- Restrict use in multiplayer to admin/server host.

- Actually works in MP now :3

- Initial release

Edited by Taosenai

Nice work, just a note tho. You can open the debug tools by default in editor by pausing the game and pressing F1.

Oh, good find, Sniperwolf. So then this is mostly of interest to modders and server admins who may need to test things in a dedicated or multiplayer environment, not really to mission makers.

Oh, good find, Sniperwolf. So then this is mostly of interest to modders and server admins who may need to test things in a dedicated or multiplayer environment, not really to mission makers.

You shouldn't be able to open it in MP. It could be used for cheating.

Oh. That's unfortunate. Didn't even occur to me, since I play co-op with the SimHQ community.

I will add a check which only allows it to be opened in MP if the player has server admin privileges.

Edit: 1.1 released, adds MP security checks (and actually works in MP, heh, the 1.0 version is perfectly secure as it wouldn't load the debugger in MP)

Edited by Taosenai

How on earth do you execute the 'expression' in the advanced window? also, clicking on any of the diag_ sets causes a "Error missing ;" in every event....

I want to use the advanced window so I can use the console without having the game pause in the background.

Yeah, I think the advanced debugger is broken by BI :3 I just included it because it was there; it doesn't seem to work right, or it works in ways too subtle to understand.

I will make the debugger not pause the game in the next version. Just gotta set enableSimulation correctly in the class rsc.

I feel like a retard for asking, but how do you get this working with a dedicated server? I've tried logging in before starting a mission, after starting a mission, starting the server with CBA and the debugger modfolders in the startup options, and it just won't come up when I'm connected to my dedicated server. Works fine hosted or in sp, but not on mp hosted. Could someone provide a step by step so I can make sure I'm not forgetting something?

Anyone know how the GUI part works? Would that allow us to keep watch variables displayed on the screen without having to open the debug window?

Works for me, testing a multiplayer mission. Very useful stuff.

Works for me, testing a multiplayer mission. Very useful stuff.

I trust you but for me :

Shift-Ctrl-F12 or Shift-Ctrl-Alt-F12 didn't work.

You changed something or it worked straight out of the box ?

Thanks

Edited by gagi