Sign in to follow this  
QuiteFranklyMyMaN

Please bring back enemy uniform stealing as a toggable option or something

I want to be able to hide behind enemy lines, I was literally shitting myself thinking how Jagged Alliance this game could be:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/309312/New_feature_Covert_operations.html#Post309312

I get you're trying to make a military sim, but what about solo man missions? Or behind enemy lines type survival scenarios?

And it's fun, and it's a video game.

Please don't remove fun options for players, please.

"I get you're trying to make a military sim"

then you should get why this feature was shitcanned

This did kind of confuse me, since I watched the gameplay teaser where they steal a OPFOR uniform, plant charges and then escape. The showcase for Vehicles has you dressed in the enemy uniform, but you can't blend in as one of them... And I did not realize they took it out.

I'd like to see the option for single player or custom missions. Toggable options for multiplayer? Fine by me personally.

I guess this can still be scripted, i.e. a background thread that sets your reputation wit the factions in such a way that you appear friendly to enemy units while wearing an enemy uniform.

By default you can't do this but it's possible in a script to do so.

"I get you're trying to make a military sim"

then you should get why this feature was shitcanned

Lol, and how isn't it realistic ?

It might be disabled by default, but there should be a command to toggle whether a unit is allowed to switch uniforms (maybe even controlled/watched by the server only):

unit allowUniformChange true/false;

(I have found several commands concerning uniform, such as https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/addUniform, but general permission command).

Edited by RogueTrooper

I want to be able to hide behind enemy lines, I was literally shitting myself thinking how Jagged Alliance this game could be:

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/309312/New_feature_Covert_operations.html#Post309312

I get you're trying to make a military sim, but what about solo man missions? Or behind enemy lines type survival scenarios?

And it's fun, and it's a video game.

Please don't remove fun options for players, please.

Its against the Geneva convention to dress as enemy soldiers, that why it was removed.

Its against the Geneva convention to dress as enemy soldiers, that why it was removed.

Since when people believe that a war is played by fair rules?

Lol no way, allow us please to do that!

You do realise that the game has incendiary rounds in it? Beyond that this is a game which depicts realistic battlefields and war-time scenarios on topographically correct landscapes against real-world combatants.

I smell pandering. Don't defend them for removing something that was part of their original advertising campaign and then not telling anyone except for a short sentence hidden under a sub-folder. And don't pretend that showing off products at conventions isn't advertising either. By definition it is.

Even though, strange enough, you can wear their helmets and whatnot.

You do realise that the game has incendiary rounds in it? Beyond that this is a game which depicts realistic battlefields and war-time scenarios on topographically correct landscapes against real-world combatants.

I smell pandering. Don't defend them for removing something that was part of their original advertising campaign and then not telling anyone except for a short sentence hidden under a sub-folder. And don't pretend that showing off products at conventions isn't advertising either. By definition it is.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147770-Unable-to-wear-enemy-uniform&p=2315747&viewfull=1#post2315747

I agree it was cool, but this makes sense:

Can the player steal the uniforms of other dead players in multiplayer?

Dan: We decided to limit this only to uniforms affiliated with a player's side. Although we were considering allowing the player to don any uniform at the start of development, it appeared that such generality would bring some very complex issues with AI and multiplayer rules. Also, it is against the Geneva Convention.

I'm fine with BIS removing or disabling this feature WITHIN THEIR MISSIONS, but the WHOLE GAME?

Come on man, I'm sure zombies are against the geneva convention too, but Day Z is even featured on STEAM OFFICIALLY as some crazy epic DLC.

I'd hope they consider giving some official support to these features. Before release. A lot of us want it.

This isn't even a hypothetical situation for Iran in real life. In 2007, a group of English-speaking commandos (almost certainly Iranian Quds Force members) dressed in U.S. uniforms, were able to infiltrate a joint Iraqi/U.S. base in Karbala. They killed five American soldiers with no casaulties of their own. They could have killed more, but chose to kill precisely five Americans as a message for the U.S. to release five detained Iranian agents.

I can see AI issues that go with uniform changes. However, the mission maker should be able to manually override this limitation. "It's against Geneva Convention" is just a flimsy attempt at handwaving a game limitation. Insurgents, terrorists and such don't care about conventions. So, I think a toggleable setting (on by default) is a way to go.

So, dont get me wrong, although I have been a heavy voice on features promised or showcased and than removed the game is brilliant and I am sure will get better. However, this is yet ANOTHER feature that is showcased toted as revolutionary in terms of new engine features (TOH FM, Java, sound engine attenuation) not being included (yes I know it's alpha but some of these things are rumored of never being in at all)

Like someone said earlier this ganeva convention thing sound more like lazyness on the part of BI than a legit defense. While I certainly can never see conventional western ground forces breaking this LOAC, CIA, special forces and naughty eastern militaries can and do. Speacial forces are sometimes given a lot of leeway in this regard. US SOCOM allowed use of hollow points for example come to mind.

Even though, strange enough, you can wear their helmets and whatnot.

Not strange practical. Headgear and vests are made by private companies in real life and the design is not representative of a certain country even though said country is using that vest/helmet model. Uniform ( and their marking (when applicable) are.

i'm glad that this feature was disabled tbh. could end up major breakdown for mp. not only TvT but even coop. it's hard enought to PID your targets already, and i don't want to teamkill some lone reatard that wanted to play "survivor" who also mention dayz, which is NOT related to arma 3 by any means.

for people who jump in and start all that "discussion" about "it's just a game" "for fun":

guys, i know you may have hard times reading genre description but is SIMULATOR.

simulator is not general fps. please try to understand may be?...

If it can be done in real warfare and IS done in real warfare as this uniform thing is, than uhh, it can be in a simulator.

If it can be done in real warfare and IS done in real warfare as this uniform thing is, than uhh, it can be in a simulator.
Are you trying to tell us that not only the CIA but the regular US forces are performing false flag operations on regular base... thats interesting... can you leak more infos please?

They took the whole looking/act like an enemy out? :(

I thought it was just bugged. I thought it was awesome idea when I saw it in one of there older videos.

Not only that, unless you are doing a solo infiltration, realistically you are much more likely to get killed by friendly fire.