Sign in to follow this  
ScribeOfThe1YORKS

Grenade system

Honestly, I believe that the ArmA III grenade system has plunged down to an all time low. Kudos for EVERYTHING else Bohemia, because the game's amazing. But, it would really be nice if something like the ACE scripted grenade system could be adapted. What does everyone else think?

It is much better than before but it could use improvement of course. Currently you throw the grenade too fast and you don't actually arm it.

What are you talking about? The grenade system is so much better than it was. It's the Alpha, and you throw it too quickly like HKFlash said, and it can be tweaked, but overall, I don't know how you could prefer the old ArmA 2 system, or think this new one is bad some how.

How about something to aim it with? Also, the throwing power too? How about whn you are up below a window, and you aim at the window, your player lobs it in behind you like they teach you in BASIC?

I don't like the 'press this button for insta-grenade' at all.

I like the new g key. Think just needs refining. Really loving the ffs press i for inventory not g comments in multiplayer. Pure gold.

Yeah, I think I should further clarify: The ArmA II ACE scripted grenade throwing is as close to what LinuxMaster has described, and it is arguably one of the best systems I've ever seen. In addition, I understand that the grenade is almost obsolete in warfare nowadays, but COME ON. Some people still use them Bohemia. Honestly, I think the people calling the ArmA III grenade system fine have never actually used the grenade in such things as a training exercise or an operation, because even the ArmA II system was overall... Well, garbage.

Who said the system was fine? And you actually think wrong.

"One good example is the way we handle throwing grenades in the ARMA III alpha," Crowe continues. "The feature isn't complete, and in its current state, I think it's a bit too simplistic. You press a key, the grenade is tossed, whatever animation state you're in. I think that's a legitimate example of where we haven't quite yet hit the right balance. Of course, it's a big improvement over ARMA II's turgid system. I basically didn't use grenades before, and now I do, so that's progress! It's more instinctive and usable, which is why we've left this WIP feature in the public build. However, for me, it's probably now too easy. There's not enough depth of control: you can't cook the grenade or manipulate the flight in any truly meaningful way."***Crowe's ultimate hope for grenade handling is to make it fluid and natural--but also to make sure it's simulated in an appropriate way. He's also conscious of how the modding community might further adjust that mechanic, and other ones as well. "This same through-process can be applied to a whole range of new or refined features," he says. "Is it useful? Is it appropriate? Are the community going to try to hijack it?"

Now, lets be very clear on this, the above quote does not mean they will "do all the things"

but atless you know they are aware of it.

I like the new grenade throw system I can now actually throw grenade through windows and doorways effectively. The only gripe I had was is that key use to be the gear key so I ended up accidently killing quite a few teammates in multiplayer. I don't know maybe they can do something like 'hold G to throw the grenade further so in that way it takes longer.' Its easy to aim your grenade thows now, just start thowing more grenades and learn the trajectory of it and I think if you move forward a little before you throw the grenade it goes further.

I like the new system too, but it could be improved in many ways especially to avoid accidental frags.

The G button should be hold for about 0.5-1 seconds before the grenade throw would be activated (e.g. an animation that makes your character to take a frag from your inventory could be played), after that the grenade throw would be confirmed and the character would remove the safety of frag and power of the throw could be adjusted by holding the G down until the desired level of power was reached.

This would prevent most of the accidental throws and would be more realistic, throwing a frag takes longer than 0.5 secs (and yes, I've thrown one IRL :cool:)

Edit: made a ticket to A3 Feedback http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1925

Edited by Ezcoo

I like the new system too, but it could be improved in many ways especially to avoid accidental frags.

The G button should be hold for about 0.5-1 seconds before the grenade throw would be activated (e.g. an animation that makes your character to take a frag from your inventory could be played), after that the grenade throw would be confirmed and the character would remove the safety of frag and power of the throw could be adjusted by holding the G down until the desired level of power was reached.

This would prevent most of the accidental throws and would be more realistic, throwing a frag takes longer than 0.5 secs (and yes, I've thrown one IRL :cool:)

Edit: made a ticket to A3 Feedback http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1925

I agree with you to 100% here but it takes more then 1 second before you have the grenade in your hand IRL. Its more like 3 seconds because you have to take into account all the god damn gear that is in the way and you stance (laying down?).

Something that would help allot in scenarios were you are sitting next to the window or a door is a scroll menu, the same one for opening door and so that allow your character to put the grenade inside automatically.

I agree with you to 100% here but it takes more then 1 second before you have the grenade in your hand IRL. Its more like 3 seconds because you have to take into account all the god damn gear that is in the way and you stance (laying down?).

Something that would help allot in scenarios were you are sitting next to the window or a door is a scroll menu, the same one for opening door and so that allow your character to put the grenade inside automatically.

You're right – but I think that having 3 second animation would lead to similar situation that we have in Arma 2 now, where you get stuck in uninterruptable animation for seconds, ending up killed often. Hence the faster animations than IRL.

I think that VBS2 has that kind of "gentle throw" (don't remember the exact name of the throw) where the soldier leans at the door, quickly throws the frag inside and then moves back to cover immediately, so maybe it would be possible to implement.

Edited by Ezcoo
gotta learn to read :)

Equipable grenades, otherwise we get the instathrow with no options (to lob, roll) or we get stuck in animations.

I don't like the 'press this button for insta-grenade' at all.

Sure, in current stage its kinda like CoD-styled grenade, but if they'll add other functions it might be better than what we had so far.

Personally I'd prefer to stick with a keybind dedicated to grenade toss (as it is more user friendly than having to cycle between weapons), but add transition from your primary/secondary weapon to grenade throwing. You don't see operators throwing grenades with their weak hand or sth and what we have so far seems to be a little too fast.

From the Shactac team videos, I saw a multiple spam of grenades in quick succession and instantly thought .... ummmm, really?

If it does change it needs some middle ground if anything. To me Arma2 or ACE ways give you a sense of "im having to put down gun, and having to concentrate on getting grenade, work my throw and then lob it" (a miniature process like pulling out A.T if you get me) and also it gives the feeling you need to do it in the right situations (cover) and be aware you need to be covered or at least know you more vulnerable if you try it given the situation.

At the moment, its pretty much FPS shooter style where its catering to a casual theme, and to me its a been cheap looking and spammable, with no real cause to think too much of your situation to do it (which in turn helps to stop people spamming it or using it as often).

I just wonder in the long run how it might feel to be on the receiving end, with a multi lobbing nade packed nutjob without getting at least a hint of knowing you might stop them mid way in some form (much like waiting for a reload tactic). I know its hard to detect but I wonder how balanced it would be in the end.

Edited by mrcash2009

Yeah, I think I should further clarify: The ArmA II ACE scripted grenade throwing is as close to what LinuxMaster has described, and it is arguably one of the best systems I've ever seen. In addition, I understand that the grenade is almost obsolete in warfare nowadays, but COME ON. Some people still use them Bohemia. Honestly, I think the people calling the ArmA III grenade system fine have never actually used the grenade in such things as a training exercise or an operation, because even the ArmA II system was overall... Well, garbage.

MFW you say grenades are almost obsolete in warfare. Have you read any books regarding the conflict in Iraq, or Taliban hiding in spider holes or caves in Afghanistan?

335828_1294732566188.jpg

Like I said in my earlier post, the current system is a big improvement. If grenades had a pin pulling animation, and a longer take out time, along with a crosshair to aim, it would be perfect, but as far as the core mechanics of the grenades go, like their trajectory and etc, it's a huge improvement. Maybe a way to give an underhand style lobbing of the grenade into a building or rolling would benice. But now that you can bounce grenades, throwing them around corners can be done by bouncing them off a wall. Though, a way to throw them into windows and door ways easily with a mechanic would always be good.

Edited by Crierd