Sign in to follow this  
kazenokizu

Feedback from a good pc

ok im running at 8 core cpu from amd at 4 gigs a core with 8 gigs of ddr3 ram and on a ssd with a 7970

and my frames are horrible some times. i also have noticed when you are on a dedicated server. all people connected get random fps drops for like 10 seconds then it goes back to normal. i also noticed some missions run well only on self hosted servers. and will not run well on dedicated at all.

so at this point and time im going to say.

cpu not optimissed and is a bottle neck.

that bottle neck bottle necks the gpu.

the gpu also has issues and needs to be worked on.

its hit or miss with this game on fps

so can we get some help with the 7970 as well.

not to many people have this card but i do.

and would like to see it work well.

on another note how i know this game has issues.

i get 60+ fps in arma 2 amazing i know right ?

so please any thing i can do to help let me know

Are you running the game on an HDD or an SSD drive? If not SSD, that's what I would recommend - makes a huge difference. When it comes to the card, I don't know a lot about ATI but if its outdated / near minimum specs just stick to low-medium settings. If you think or know your CPU is the bottleneck, lowering your view-distance is the biggest game-changer in that regard, on MP this is a little trickier unless the mission has it built-in.

Are you running the game on an HDD or an SSD drive? If not SSD, that's what I would recommend - makes a huge difference. When it comes to the card, I don't know a lot about ATI but if its outdated / near minimum specs just stick to low-medium settings.

i know you said you dont know much, but outdated? that is a 400 dollar card :P

Sorry guys, it's probably been like 8 years since I've owned an ATI Card, have no idea what those numbers even mean anymore lol, also didn't notice the part of your post about being on an SSD - if so, I would have to wager the bottleneck being CPU related, in which case definitely experiment with your view distance. Unfortunately I don't think there is a view-distance changer publicly available for ArmA 3 right now, but you can test on custom missions using "setViewDistance num;" in the mission folders init.sqf

Sorry guys, it's probably been like 8 years since I've owned an ATI Card, have no idea what those numbers even mean anymore lol, also didn't notice the part of your post about being on an SSD - if so, I would have to wager the bottleneck being CPU related, in which case definitely experiment with your view distance. Unfortunately I don't think there is a view-distance changer publicly available for ArmA 3 right now, but you can test on custom missions using "setViewDistance num;" in the mission folders init.sqf

there is view distance in the video settings if thats what you mean

ok im running at 8 core cpu from amd at 4 gigs a core with 8 gigs of ddr3 ram and on a ssd with a 7970

and my frames are horrible some times. i also have noticed when you are on a dedicated server. all people connected get random fps drops for like 10 seconds then it goes back to normal. i also noticed some missions run well only on self hosted servers. and will not run well on dedicated at all.

so at this point and time im going to say.

cpu not optimissed and is a bottle neck.

that bottle neck bottle necks the gpu.

the gpu also has issues and needs to be worked on.

its hit or miss with this game on fps

so can we get some help with the 7970 as well.

not to many people have this card but i do.

and would like to see it work well.

on another note how i know this game has issues.

i get 60+ fps in arma 2 amazing i know right ?

so please any thing i can do to help let me know

It's ALPHA, things aren't properly optimized yet. Deal with it.

Ps.

You don't have 8 core CPU as none such desktop cpu exists in this dimension. You might have 8 threads, but only 4 physical cores. You got fooled by AMD marketing scheme.

This game I would assume would favor an intel cpu like every other game.... My card is weaker than yours but I get pretty good frames... except i found a not so optimized area BUT it coulda been the server I was on.... I do notice this FPS drop at random times as well on servers (some don't)

It's ALPHA, things aren't properly optimized yet. Deal with it.

Ps.

You don't have 8 core CPU as none such desktop cpu exists in this dimension. You might have 8 threads, but only 4 physical cores. You got fooled by AMD marketing scheme.

ffs im so sick and tired of everyones defensive attitude! His english is not very good, nowhere in his post was he complaining, he was telling everyone his specs and his experience with the alpha, in this case, he was letting it get known that performance isnt on keen, stop ramming "ITS AN ALPHA Z0MG ALPHA" down everyones throat and let people post what they freaking want you child. Grow up and learn to read when someone is actually complaining. What you said about the amd cpu is true tho, or so ive read.

i also have noticed when you are on a dedicated server. all people connected get random fps drops for like 10 seconds then it goes back to normal. i also noticed some missions run well only on self hosted servers. and will not run well on dedicated at all.

Quite a few people have already mentioned the same thing. :) And yea, I have a HD7850 which handles SP pretty well (apart from the same things as everyone else - helicopters, lots of vehicles, some villages, etc), but the game occasionally fails spectacularly to maintain FPS. The GPU and CPU aren't fully utilized yet and changing graphic settings won't achieve much at the moment 'cos the game isn't optimized properly (yet). I do also hope they sort that out sooner rather than later though!

Hi kazenokizu.

What FPS do you get in singleplayer?

Okay went back to the last place in editor and the performance there was 50-60 (capped) at all times basically so it's really just the servers. I even spawned about 30 guys in that spot and didn't see much difference really. I have been on some servers and it's just as good as singleplayer but like i said other servers are just garbage and this game is quite optimized really.

I do get better performance in Arma 2 BUT when im in town like ares in arma 2 i get about 23 fps where as this game i get about 50-60 so the game is great. I still need to OC my cpu and test the difference but that will come in due time :) or ill just sli although idk if this game handles sli very well or not.

ffs im so sick and tired of everyones defensive attitude! His english is not very good, nowhere in his post was he complaining, he was telling everyone his specs and his experience with the alpha, in this case, he was letting it get known that performance isnt on keen, stop ramming "ITS AN ALPHA Z0MG ALPHA" down everyones throat and let people post what they freaking want you child. Grow up and learn to read when someone is actually complaining. What you said about the amd cpu is true tho, or so ive read.

Indeed.

I'd just wait for some network optimization's then Zyromkiru

it has probably been said before but woohoo with your 8 cores! arma only uses what 3? if you are lucky..

I'm surprised you managed to pull that much stuff from one sentence. Now please count the number of posts/threads in which people mention that game isn't utilizing the hardware resources properly and think how many would we actually have if instead they'd stick to one actual thread. Read that others are experiencing the same issues as OP, even those with top notch hardware. It's all over the freaking place. BIS is aware of it and at this point (unless you come up with some great in depth analysis) all you can do is sit tight and watch them work on it. That's why I tried to keep it simple and instead got ganged up by you and called a child. You don't need 50 posts to explain one guy that what he's experiencing is a global and well acknowledged issue. Looks like I'm not the one that actually needs to grow up here.

More a TS issue methinks so moving here :)

CPU bottleneck. The multithreading isn't perfect so it cant use all those 8 cores. I'd say it'll use up to 3 effectively.

CPU bottleneck. The multithreading isn't perfect so it cant use all those 8 cores. I'd say it'll use up to 3 effectively.

you mean multithreading is bad, any new engine uses all cores avaiable (6+) effectivelly (source, udk, cryengine, frostbyte 2), but since they rarelly get to 100% usage, those arent perfect.

yes there are newer games that still only support 2 cores, like starcraft 2, but i can play it with vsync on at 60fps, they simply dont need more cores and get away with it.