cross888

OPFOR too Futuristic?

Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?  

485 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?

• Yes they look way to SCIFI.
    • No they look fine.

Opfor look cool; BIS's artists aimed for an insectoid vibe, which looks menacing and makes them clearly the 'bad guys' for the US audience ;)

Reality doesn't factor in A3's storyline; it's obviously an extravagantly fictional scenario (how else could Iranian military challenge NATO on European soil within 20 years?). Personally, I like it.

Edited by Mandrake5

You obviously have no clue about those weapons. Ever shot/carried the G36? I have, in the german military...it's utter dog shit! Not just the WAY inferior ergonomics, pathetic magazines, height over bore issues and plastic receiver, but they're way too heavy (bolt carrier design is a joke!) and also have serious reliability issues. And the XM-8 was just another G36. Also Diemaco C8 AR15s beat the G36 in Norwegian and British trials! Same with the LMT .308 in Britain which performed better or just as reliable as the gas-piston Hk417...HK is overrated and overpriced garbage!

And SOCOM cancelled Mk-16 SCARs. FN SCARs are reliable tho, but that's about it. They're still bulkier/bigger, slightly heavier and still have a reciprocating charging handle. They offer nothing over a proper civilian or military AR15.

Yeah that's why so many armies around the world are using them,must be because they're overpriced HK toys and unreliable.Of course since you tested the G36 I'm sure all those armies will drop them now.Sorry to bring you the bad news but amazingly there are also other weapon manufacturers around the world(even besides the HK) and (amazingly again) they're quite good.

Also your magic ball is awesome,you have to tell me where you got it since you can also predict the "next 20 or 200" years.Let me guess we're still using the AR15 platform right?

Yeah that's why so many armies around the world are using them,must be because they're overpriced HK toys and unreliable.Of course since you tested the G36 I'm sure all those armies will drop them now.Sorry to bring you the bad news but amazingly there are also other weapon manufacturers around the world(even besides the HK) and (amazingly again) they're quite good.

Also your magic ball is awesome,you have to tell me where you got it since you can also predict the "next 20 or 200" years.Let me guess we're still using the AR15 platform right?

You claimed that the mentioned rifle platforms are superior to AR (and AK) platforms and I merely explained to you why this claim is false and loosely based on Call of Duty playing kiddo internet myths. Fact: AKs and ARs are still the best weapon platforms. That's also why all former SpecOps operators still use them in their civilian careers. None use or promote G36 garbage and the demand for US made civilian G36 is non-existent unlike the civilian SCARs which are fine, but they're not better or revolutionary in any way.

Brits also chose the worst rifle ever: the SA-80

The Bullpup design itself is already bad, but the rifles also had serious reliability issues and instead of buying new Diemaco ARs at the time, they chose the much more expensive option and HK had to fix them, in this way they at least can still say "we have british guns!". It's the same reason why the german government chose HK over Diemaco.

HK416s are not that bad since they are basically still ARs and retain their superior ergonomics etc. But they are also heavier and add more height over bore just like the SCAR or ACR. Norwegians also reported issues with their new HK416s. I am a german and I'd take an american/canadian made AR15 over an HK416 any day!

I don't know what's state of the art in 20 or 200 years, but neither do you or the Arma Devs. As for AR15s in the future, all it needs is a forward (SCAR/ACR position) non-reciprocating charging handle to become the perfect rifle.

Edited by coffeeshock

@Krycek

There might be huge quality gap between batches produced for SpecOps, where due to small numbers unit price is irrelevant, and for army request where rifles are bought in huge quanity, and usually there's strict price limit, forcing cost reduction wherever possible. Capitalism, Ho! ;)

I was just referring to the 1945 -> 1965 comment and how long battles rifles simply got full-auto, a smaller caliber, a magazine and a pistol grip. Nothing too revolutionary.

If caseless ammo is so realistic/authentic and so easy to create and mass produce, why has no military adopted it yet? Scientist are also testing and researching "beaming" technology...doesn't mean it will ever work properly in the next 20 or 200 years...

You obviously have no clue about those weapons. Ever shot/carried the G36? I have, in the german military...it's utter dog shit! Not just the WAY inferior ergonomics, pathetic magazines, height over bore issues and plastic receiver, but they're way too heavy (bolt carrier design is a joke!) and also have serious reliability issues. And the XM-8 was just another G36. Also Diemaco C8 AR15s beat the G36 in Norwegian and British trials! Same with the LMT .308 in Britain which performed better or just as reliable as the gas-piston Hk417...HK is overrated and overpriced garbage!

And SOCOM cancelled Mk-16 SCARs. FN SCARs are reliable tho, but that's about it. They're still bulkier/bigger, slightly heavier and still have a reciprocating charging handle. They offer nothing over a proper civilian or military AR15.

I quite like the L85A2, Very reliable accurate and compact. its only problem is its weight its a kilo heavier then everything else :\

Opfor look cool; BIS's artists aimed for an insectoid vibe, which looks menacing and makes them clearly the 'bad guys' for the US audience ;)

Reality doesn't factor in A3's storyline; it's obviously an extravagantly fictional scenario (how else could Iranian military challenge NATO on European soil within 20 years?). Personally, I like it.

Mandrake understands correctly: verisimilitude with real-world timelines is irrelevant, it's like complaining that the stormtroopers in the Star Wars movies were too "advanced looking" compared to the Alliance troops.
Capitalism, Ho! ;)
+1 for the Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale reference! Hahaha...

Voted no.

I'm fine with the superior OpFor since it makes the gameplay far more enjoyable as both forces (and not just a survival-horror as OpFor and CoDish turban-shooting as BlueFor).

P.S. Back in the OFP days we used to enjoy fighting vs USSR or US. There's just no way a takiban w. an AK will replace an attack-helo on a strafing run!

And completely converting the original MX series (which I really like) to 5.56x45 or simply adding ejecting shells to the models shouldn't be too hard for a model editing newbie like me.

Got it working, it's easily done with a simple new config. Now Arma 3 is perfect again :) ...all I need now is a new expensive computer :/

Guys we're in 2035 and blue are fighting against Iran.. I personally do not look for turban guys to kill..

It's the FUTURE lol, I love this way of defending creative choices by the devs, it's very dismissive and avoids any debate.

the biggest point for me is the out of space helmet, with that Quasimodo hump for an infantrymen... and this overload snake skin cloves ...

very funny to drag a 120l backpack with that hump and this bighead helmet ^^ never never come that...

all sodliers say - that new future tec systems are to heavy ;)

I love the Iranian uniforms from head to toe, I actually play as them more often than I play as NATO.

That other helmet design someone showed in this thread looks really good too, it would be nice to be included in the game.

Edited by ziiip

The KAC LMG will most likely end up being the Blufor SAW, if you notice, it fires red tracers. The Redfor guns all appear to fire green tracers. Plus, the LMG has US manufacturing markings on it, so... it´s probably a placeholder, like the Tavor was.

So the OPFOR's LMG had its tracer changed to green in the new update, suggesting that it is not just a placeholder. Or is it just for easier identification of who is shooting during the Alpha phase, until the Iranians receive their own LMG in later builds? I fully expected it to be replaced with some other weapon, like a Katiba support variant, along with the EBR. It's not a huge issue for me, but the LMG in particular being so visually similar to an M249-type weapon seems too much like an icon of Western arms design to be used by a country like Iran.

I actually like that unironically because it reminds me of the "Air Warrior" helmet/facemask combo -- read: BLUFOR helo pilots -- so what's the problem? :p

OPFOR looks fine to me except for the helmet + camo.

But since everyone is trying to support their statement with facts:

But since Iran is today already struggling to maintain stability and peace while they're slaughtering and opressing minorities which do not fit into their islamic views and are desperately trying to reduce the problems they have with poverty and drugs, I don't think Iran would be able to have such an ÃœberSoldierGear2000 like they have inside the alpha. At least not for every soldier. They have like 1/10 of the Military budget off ours (Germany), and I don't think we'd be able to have such a gear for our regular infantry.

What ever, I assume I won't use the default soldiers in my missions anyway so it's not bothering me. What bothers me are the endless DXGI_ERRORs

OPFOR looks fine to me except for the helmet + camo.

But since everyone is trying to support their statement with facts:

But since Iran is today already struggling to maintain stability and peace while they're slaughtering and opressing minorities which do not fit into their islamic views and are desperately trying to reduce the problems they have with poverty and drugs, I don't think Iran would be able to have such an ÃœberSoldierGear2000 like they have inside the alpha. At least not for every soldier. They have like 1/10 of the Military budget off ours (Germany), and I don't think we'd be able to have such a gear for our regular infantry.

What ever, I assume I won't use the default soldiers in my missions anyway so it's not bothering me. What bothers me are the endless DXGI_ERRORs

If you knew the story, you'd know that they had a coup and the Islamic Republic was overthrown. I bet they had help in forging a new Republic, probably with money and technology from Russia and China. I do think their current gear should be reserved for their special forces (bout how ghost recon future soldier has advanced special forces) and that such gear should provide some advanced capabilities (like a temporary, timed augmented camo like is being prototyped today). And then I'd say blufor special forces should have something similar but not as advanced (something like the FCS program).

Best Photoshopping I ever did, right there. :D

I loved it. When you first posted it, I lol'd for weeks.

I thought I only had a problem with Opfor helmets, but I don't like either helmets now, blufor helmets look like something out of star wars, like the top of an R2 unit? Looks like all the gadets can easily get caught up on something? And opfor nano suits look like... nano suits, it's just doesn't feel believable to me, even in a future setting.. Maybe BIS work best without too much artistic freedom? Other than that everything else is sweeet!

I thought I only had a problem with Opfor helmets, but I don't like either helmets now, blufor helmets look like something out of star wars, like the top of an R2 unit? Looks like all the gadets can easily get caught up on something? And opfor nano suits look like... nano suits, it's just doesn't feel believable to me, even in a future setting.. Maybe BIS work best without too much artistic freedom? Other than that everything else is sweeet!

BLUFOR helmets are designed after the Batlskin Cobra Helmet Shell.

I say that the Russian Faction gets the Current Opfor Helmets and better weapons while the Iranians get the Helmets and weapons that the Russians used in Arma 2 with some modernizing. That sounds fair right?

I say that the Russian Faction gets the Current Opfor Helmets and better weapons while the Iranians get the Helmets and weapons that the Russians used in Arma 2 with some modernizing. That sounds fair right?

There is no Russian faction.

There is no Russian faction.

Not yet. There are items for the Russian PMC hidden in the files, for example a ballcap texture with their logo on it. There´s also magazines for an "Abakan" already in the ammo boxes, and there are "russian" labelled textures for a lot of suits, such as the pilot suit, the coverall and the diving suit.

I think we´ll see them in sooner or later.

Not yet. There are items for the Russian PMC hidden in the files, for example a ballcap texture with their logo on it. There´s also magazines for an "Abakan" already in the ammo boxes, and there are "russian" labelled textures for a lot of suits, such as the pilot suit, the coverall and the diving suit.

I think we´ll see them in sooner or later.

Pettka said that there will be no Russian PMC's. The Abakan is a rifle BI wanted to model for some time and the RUS textures are prob. RES textures.

Not saying that I don't want the Russians in some form, just trying to manage expectations :p