cross888

OPFOR too Futuristic?

Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?  

485 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?

• Yes they look way to SCIFI.
    • No they look fine.

The OPFOR is very nice AS IS.

Personally i don't care if they represent IRAN or any else.

The only thing i can say for sure -now we will have a Decent "Vanilla" balanced Multiplayer/PvP

For those who are very worried because the OPFOR faction has SAME technology as BLUFOR

i have 2 things:

1. Yes!..they 'll have to "think" more prior to win-and not just use their "cheaty-trinkets" to achieve victory.

2. I m sure there will be (popular) mods until then..who will give you a half-dead enemy (you know..the usual one kind..) to fight with "pride"

Edited by GiorgyGR

They just feel so de-humanized with all sci-fi things.
Do you feel this way when playing Stormtroopers in a Star Wars game? :D Because that's what I see in the "future warfare" look for OPFOR.

The OPFOR is very nice AS IS.

Personally i don't care if they represent IRAN or any else.

The only thing i can say for sure -now we will have a Decent "Vanilla" balanced Multiplayer/PvP

For those who are very worried because the OPFOR faction has SAME technology as BLUFOR

i have 2 things:

1. Yes!..they 'll have to "think" more prior to win-and not just use their "cheaty-trinkets" to achieve victory.

2. I m sure there will be (popular) mods until then..who will give you a half-dead enemy (you know..the usual one kind..) to fight with "pride"

The ultra science-fiction/Kurt Neumann's "The Fly" appearance of the OPFOR units has nothing to do with balance, or technology fairness versus blufor.

It's reflective of "we're not doing 'Takistanis in iron hats with AKs and pickup trucks' again, even if we have to go overboard on the high-tech and handwave any explanation"... and I'm okay with this. :D

Yeah the OPFOR look way too futuristic...while the BLUFOR look perfect imo, not too much different from current modern US Army Rangers etc..I really like them, especially their version of the MICH2000 helmets look great.

Caseless ammunition is also way too futuristic and extremely dissapointing imo. It totally destroys the whole feel of the realistic Arma military simulation I used to love..."caseless ammo" is for space alien laser guns in sci-fi games, not military sims taking place only 20 years in the future. It's just a minor issue tho and I am sure there will be simple mods/addons to fix the original MXs and/or adding complete custom weapons.

I think you could make a decent case for caseless ammo, if you pardon the pun (I know, terrible).

Today it's being experimented with, and Arma 3 is +20 years from now. Just look at 1945 > 1965, semi automatic rifle > assault rifle.

Meh, if "caseless ammunition" was "extremely disappointing" then you should have lost hope in the franchise and the developers by now with how much more "game-y" Arma 3 is, and in any case you've already got RH and Alwarren working up "conventional" weapons.

All this said, This IS the Armaverse, and we don't know exactly for sure what state the world is in. Iran may have the money and willpower to invest in computer intergrated warfare and hell, even be successful with it.

What really interests me is how will the Iranian units have extra gadgets (to replicate the HUD in the Helmet) and other things that are the benefits of using their equipment, for example the can run further and get less fatigued because they have the AC units? Probably going to far with that one tbh.

All this said, This IS the Armaverse, and we don't know exactly for sure what state the world is in. Iran may have the money and willpower to invest in computer intergrated warfare and hell, even be successful with it.
If this is the only way that this could make sense, then presumably this is what BI will decide, real world be damned. :D

Ok well try this on for inconsistency. The OPFOR are using a current tech rifle (KH2002) and have awesomely expensive sci-fi armour (TBH though the body armour/helmet look is the ONLY thing i take issue with, not them being on an even footing which is GOOD). While NATO for some reason were able to afford the expense of fielding an entire new weapons and ammo system, but haven't bought a new uniform for 20 years?

Someone could go make those helmets/body armor right now... there is no such thing as too futuristic.

It's the scale or segmented part on the back part of the neck that bugs me and that the helmets look ridiculous with the "goggles?" or HUD screens coming from them

They also have a SAW looking LMG which was a shocker when I saw it was in the hands of an Iranian.

I feel like the Iranians just jumped ahead of NATO in all aspects of military force. everything looks a decade ahead of Blufor

I feel like the Iranians just jumped ahead of NATO in all aspects of military force. everything looks a decade ahead of Blufor
So what's your response when BI's excuse becomes "we just never depicted the progression to that state in previous Arma games"?

The KAC LMG will most likely end up being the Blufor SAW, if you notice, it fires red tracers. The Redfor guns all appear to fire green tracers. Plus, the LMG has US manufacturing markings on it, so... it´s probably a placeholder, like the Tavor was.

As for the Iranians being too futuristic?

No.

And Blufor being backwards? Yes. The economy has gone to shit, and they needed to consolidate. Buy new weapons that work, useable bodyarmour, and just update the Uniforms incrementally from the 2015 standard to save money. Same with the vehicles, in all likelihood. Meanwhile, the SCO with Asia as its economic engine will likely have the spare funds to really drive R&D by then.

The world has changed in A3.

The KAC LMG will most likely end up being the Blufor SAW, if you notice, it fires red tracers. The Redfor guns all appear to fire green tracers. Plus, the LMG has US manufacturing markings on it, so... it´s probably a placeholder, like the Tavor was.

No.

And Blufor being backwards? Yes. The economy has gone to shit, and they needed to consolidate. Buy new weapons that work, useable bodyarmour, and just update the Uniforms incrementally from the 2015 standard to save money. Same with the vehicles, in all likelihood. Meanwhile, the SCO with Asia as its economic engine will likely have the spare funds to really drive R&D by then.

... so OPFOR's "futuristic" look is actually the new standard and NATO forces are the "technologically behind-the-times, need asymmetrical warfare" force this time? Man, the complainers (who consider BLUFOR's look "just right") are gonna have a hard time wrapping their heads around that one... :lol: Good job, InstaGoat! :D

No.

Now that's feasible.

Hi, the OPFOR under BDU Armour looks like a klingon's thing to me... the helmet is fine, but those klingon plates... tjo! *they suck* tjo! tjo!*hard* tjo..!; but the BLUFOR ACRs suck too, if you ask me; between all the possible pimp ARs out there... they had to choose the less pimp one. As shotguns i would spect to see Kel-Tec KSGs on the BLUFOR and SRM Arms M-1216 SG on the OPFOR, and JAE SAI M1A for the BLUFOR Squad Dedisgnated Marksman plus some FNP-45T as sidearm too and AKBS TTK for the OPFOR. But that klingons body armor just stinks. Let's C ya

I don't mind that for once it's not the US army against a bunch of rag tag insurgents(terrorists) but that we might actually get two equally powerful factions.

I think you could make a decent case for caseless ammo, if you pardon the pun (I know, terrible).

Today it's being experimented with, and Arma 3 is +20 years from now. Just look at 1945 > 1965, semi automatic rifle > assault rifle.

I know the USMC is experimenting with caseless ammunition (US Army is testing polymer casings)...but that doesn't mean it will be 100% successful and adopted right away, just look at the HK G11 and other similar concepts...

The Colt 1911 pistol platform is now over 100 years old and yet it's still very popular today and even the Marines still use them. Same with the AR15 or AK platforms, they're more than 50 years old and yet remain the best assault rifles all around the world, newer concepts like the XM8, SCAR or ACR are still inferior (ergonomics, weight, size etc) to the AR15 in many ways for example...

Meh, if "caseless ammunition" was "extremely disappointing" then you should have lost hope in the franchise and the developers by now with how much more "game-y" Arma 3 is, and in any case you've already got RH and Alwarren working up "conventional" weapons.

The "extremely disappointing" part relates to the fact that the MX rifles in previous E3 showings still had shell casings, hence also the still existing sound of shells hitting the ground in the current Alpha.

It seems to me they suddenly (between now and the last E3) decided to make it "caseless" as a lame excuse to help with performance issues...

But then again, it might be a non-issue with all the talented Arma modders out there, which also applies to the OPFOR models ofc. And completely converting the original MX series (which I really like) to 5.56x45 or simply adding ejecting shells to the models shouldn't be too hard for a model editing newbie like me.

I know the USMC is experimenting with caseless ammunition (US Army is testing polymer casings)...but that doesn't mean it will be 100% successful and adopted right away, just look at the HK G11 and other similar concepts...

The Colt 1911 pistol platform is now over 100 years old and yet it's still very popular today and even the Marines still use them. Same with the AR15 or AK platforms, they're more than 50 years old and yet remain the best assault rifles all around the world, newer concepts like the XM8, SCAR or ACR are still inferior (ergonomics, weight, size etc) to the AR15 in many ways for example...

Just because some platforms remain in service for 50 years or more doesn't mean the armies won't change their gear.A crossbow with a scope will still score a headshot,doesn't mean we have to use it or the Willy to get around.

Regarding the XM8 and SCARs they were actually superior in every way to the current platform(except the ACR) but were dropped because of the manufacturing costs.Look for the jamming tests etc.

Also some projects are scrapped not because they don't perform but because they eat too much money or simply bureaucracy at it's finest(like the Comanche project).

The tech advancement really exploded in the last 20 years,by 2035 a lot of things could be different.

I think that a lot of us who think they look too advanced want their uniforms to look on-par with NATO and not overly surpassing them. beyond that none of the vehicles really seem out of place to me, nor do the rifles. However the Iranians with the hyper advanced uniforms carrying KH-2002s look a little odd, almost to the point of an anachronism.

Just because some platforms remain in service for 50 years or more doesn't mean the armies won't change their gear.A crossbow with a scope will still score a headshot,doesn't mean we have to use it or the Willy to get around.

Regarding the XM8 and SCARs they were actually superior in every way to the current platform(except the ACR) but were dropped because of the manufacturing costs.Look for the jamming tests etc.

Also some projects are scrapped not because they don't perform but because they eat too much money or simply bureaucracy at it's finest(like the Comanche project).

The tech advancement really exploded in the last 20 years,by 2035 a lot of things could be different.

I was just referring to the 1945 -> 1965 comment and how long battles rifles simply got full-auto, a smaller caliber, a magazine and a pistol grip. Nothing too revolutionary.

If caseless ammo is so realistic/authentic and so easy to create and mass produce, why has no military adopted it yet? Scientist are also testing and researching "beaming" technology...doesn't mean it will ever work properly in the next 20 or 200 years...

Regarding the XM8 and SCARs they were actually superior in every way to the current platform

You obviously have no clue about those weapons. Ever shot/carried the G36? I have, in the german military...it's utter dog shit! Not just the WAY inferior ergonomics, pathetic magazines, height over bore issues and plastic receiver, but they're way too heavy (bolt carrier design is a joke!) and also have serious reliability issues. And the XM-8 was just another G36. Also Diemaco C8 AR15s beat the G36 in Norwegian and British trials! Same with the LMT .308 in Britain which performed better or just as reliable as the gas-piston Hk417...HK is overrated and overpriced garbage!

And SOCOM cancelled Mk-16 SCARs. FN SCARs are reliable tho, but that's about it. They're still bulkier/bigger, slightly heavier and still have a reciprocating charging handle. They offer nothing over a proper civilian or military AR15.

I don't have any particular problem with how the OPFOR looks outside of those flip down lenses (which look pretty impractical, especially when paired with NVGs) and the neck which seems zipped up too high to be comfortable in a Greek summer. What's probably needed are some more "casual" looking uniform variants like NATO has, such as uniforms without the long gloves, zipped down collars etc.

No.

I how like your argument for the Iranian future gear is simply "no."