cross888

OPFOR too Futuristic?

Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?  

485 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the OPFOR need to be toned down?

• Yes they look way to SCIFI.
    • No they look fine.

But as someone else already said, the problem seems to be not that they look too futuristic, but that some people think they look silly. Specifically their helmets. I personally don't mind them but I get why others don't - they do look odd. Maybe if their HUD was displayed via some sort of integrated goggles rather than those eyepieces, which create the 'bug' look and also seem like they'd be prone to breaking as someone else noted.

Something like this maybe:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/2ndranger/a3opforhelmet_zps6089aa7b.jpg

But even if BIS did change the OPFOR helmet, I hope they'd leave the old one in, I still quite like it.

While I don't have a problem with the current look...wow, I did not realise how much those little screens affected the overall look of that helmet. That looks incredibly more grounded in reality, practical and logical. It even gives back the soldier his identity. I can't imagine having a meaningful character wearing the current one.

No. They are just fine. The helmet could get a slight re-design, but other than that I'm glad the game is and looks futuristic. That was the point and that's something I missed in military shooters/sims. I would rather have the blufor looking more futuristic as well.

No. I absolutely love the design of the Ifrit and the other Opfor units. Really amazing seeing one of those armored trucks drive up on you.

They look intimidating - and that's nothing but awesome.

If BIS followed all the demands for "realistic" future equipment for OPFOR we'll end up finding it next to impossible to tell them apart from BLUFOR! I agree that the helmets and Stillsuit look a little overdesigned but at least they arent pitting us against a weaksauce gang of taliban and cavemen. Maybe little changes like those 2ndRanger suggests, or changing the attachment of the hud to a more wired/frame-like look might smooth ruffled feathers.

You just got used to something :D

Nothing says that OPFOR should be weaker than blufor !

I'm not saying they should be weaker in any aspect I'm just saying that they look ridiculous.

all the groups i play arma with have the same view as me on this were just waiting for mods to bring us back down to a modern day setting.

Most Modern Day military operations are like Op, Elermy, Op Herrick, Op Telic, These were all Counter Insurgency. With the exception of telic telic was a conventional war followed by a nasty insurgency. Thats what I like Conventional Warfare and Counter Insurgency in a modern believable setting and pretty much most of the guys who are saying they don't like this new spin BI has thrown on the game (2035) are Serving soldiers or Veterans or just enthusiasts who want to do strike ops or relive the invasion of iraq or smash terrys face in, in the helmand river Vally.

In short i don't like the SCFI Feel to the OPFOR and I will be really dissapointed in BI if they do the same with BLUFOR

I don't care if opfor are using a gucci russian patrol vehicle my beef is that the OPFOR look like something out of metal gear solid.

I followed this game from OFPCWC Because it was a great game, but to me this game is fast becoming carrier command.

Personally i can't wait till the Mod makers modernism the game because i won't be playing Vanilla Arma 3 and i can speak for a lot of people when I say that.

Edit:

If BIS followed all the demands for "realistic" future equipment for OPFOR we'll end up finding it next to impossible to tell them apart from BLUFOR! I agree that the helmets and Stillsuit look a little overdesigned but at least they arent pitting us against a weaksauce gang of taliban and cavemen. Maybe little changes like those 2ndRanger suggests, or changing the attachment of the hud to a more wired/frame-like look might smooth ruffled feathers.

A gang of taliban cavemen did alright in veitnam yanno.

Edited by Cross888

I'm not saying they should be weaker in any aspect I'm just saying that they look ridiculous.

all the groups i play arma with have the same view as me on this were just waiting for mods to bring us back down to a modern day setting.

Most Modern Day military operations are like Op, Elermy, Op Herrick, Op Telic, These were all Counter Insurgency. With the exception of telic telic was a conventional war followed by a nasty insurgency. Thats what I like Conventional Warfare and Counter Insurgency in a modern believable setting and pretty much most of the guys who are saying they don't like this new spin BI has thrown on the game (2035) are Serving soldiers or Veterans or just enthusiasts who want to do strike ops or relive the invasion of iraq or smash terrys face in, in the helmand river Vally.

In short i don't like the SCFI Feel to the OPFOR and I will be really dissapointed in BI if they do the same with BLUFOR

I don't care if opfor are using a gucci russian patrol vehicle my beef is that the OPFOR look like something out of metal gear solid.

I followed this game from OFPCWC Because it was a great game, but to me this game is fast becoming carrier command.

Personally i can't wait till the Mod makers modernism the game because i won't be playing Vanilla Arma 3 and i can speak for a lot of people when I say that.

Edit:

A gang of taliban cavemen did alright in veitnam yanno.

The thing is this: NATO won't always be fighting an asymmetric war. Sure, there will still be elements of asymmetric adversaries, but the wars of the near future will be more conventional in nature. Why? Because the rising threats are conventional forces. The OPFOR have strangely designed helmets, but it's not sci fi. Those helmets aren't ripped from the pages of a science fiction novel, or from the scenes of a science fiction film or television show. That helmet is based off of existing prototypes of helmets. It's an integrated, networked helmet. Now, BIS may not have it functioning as such at the moment, but that's exactly what it is. Among other things, its purpose is to provide a heads-up display and soldier tracking. The US Army has already been working on a couple versions of this. Back in the late 90s, it was the Land Warrior program. In the early to mid-2000s, it was the Future Combat Systems. In the late 2000s, it was the Nett Warrior System. Now it's the Brigade Combat Team Modernization Program. There are prototypes in the works now that will be complete by 2035. So this isn't science fiction. This isn't too futuristic. Now, too scifi looking is another matter. The helmet looks like some weird pilots helmet, yes. http://blogs.defensenews.com/ausa/files/2011/10/F-35-HMD.jpg

But I think that's the point. It's supposed to be integrated like a pilot's helmet.

I agree with the above.

Just because NATO has been fighting assymetric warfare in Iraq/Afghanistan doesn't mean it'll always do so. I believe the background for Arma 3 is that the EU and the US have been weakened due to economic crisis and are therefore almost under-equipped with gear that seems almost contemporary. A powerful Iran (maybe backed by Russia and China) has risen and are now actually having a slight tech edge with fancy cooling suits, caseless munitions and maybe tanks with railguns.

I think it's a joyfully fresh take to finally be the underdog (tech-wise) and to not always fight militia and be gong-ho super tech and superior. And the uniforms and equipment, as mentioned before, it's not a wild sci-fi trip BIS is having: It's grounded in reality, and most of the stuff already exists at prototype level.

I'm all ready for this! :rolleyes:

Lets just hope that BI treat us by joining arma2 and oa into A3 like was done for TOH that way keeps both camps happy.

Then again there's always people saying "Iran has alien technology", who knows...

Not to reignite that godawful 'future sux' discussion in that one big thread from a while back, but anyone who did not care for the future setting when Arma 3 was announced and has paid for the alpha (i.e. bought Arma 3) has really waived their right to complain. You knew what the game was about before you bought it. If you don't like the near-future stuff and want to wait for the modders to come to your rescue, then by all means wait, but wait in silence.

I'd argue they don't look too SciFi but some of their gear looks uncomfortable/impractical, the helmet looks like it'd restrict peripheral vision for the sake of it's side googles things which I assume are a combo of HUD, ballistic glasses & night vision.

I personally, after many years spent fighting assorted groups of enemies such as the Taliban, or the cong, or the Talicong, (My own wit excedes me) am sick of fighting a generic guy with a turban or otherwise. ( No offence BIS!) These new opfor units look just goddamned cool, it most important of all memorable!

Once the novelty wears off there WILL always be a mod like ACE etc which will give us the chance to go to a modern day setting! The joys of having an excellent community!

My issue is that they actually look more advanced than the gear the NATO nations are using, and they kind of have a head start on this sort of technology compared to who the OpFor is protraying I.E. Iran. I have no issues with the vehicles though i think the combat uniform could use a bit of tweaking, I really like the idea of a Land Warrior-like system, just having two huds one over each eye would give me a headache in real life IMO.

I'd argue they don't look too SciFi but some of their gear looks uncomfortable/impractical, the helmet looks like it'd restrict peripheral vision for the sake of it's side googles things which I assume are a combo of HUD, ballistic glasses & night vision.

The helmet holds similar design to HIDSS, http://www.best-of-flightgear.dk/pic/00197_HIDSS_Helmet.jpg the Tiger Helicopter helm (don't know the name) http://images.yuku.com.s3.amazonaws.com/image/jpeg/953354bb469c9594ce371caac8d214520c526ab.jpg They don't restrict peripheral vision (the sensors are not right up against your eyes for safety reasons) but they do enhance the clarity and resolution of the display.

That said, they are more aircraft designs and it seems weird to have them on infantry unless they add some sort of enhancement over the non equipped NATO soldiers.

I'd just like them to not have those weirdly shaped helmets with bug eyes, and that AC unit on their back. Makes them look like hunchbacks. Oh, and the strange neck and forward arms armour suite or whatever it is, it just makes them look sci-fi when you take your helmet off.

I just find it really odd that the OPFOR (presumably Iran) has managed to get gear so advanced and yet BLUFOR is equipped circa 2015? I mean if BOTH sides were wearing spaceman helmets and IR resistant armour it might make sense, or at least have some kind of geopolitical consistency, but now all it does is just look odd...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a massive sci-fi fan. I just like it when it's grounded in some sense of realism.

::edit:: This isn't to say I'm against the OPFOR sci-fi look, I just feel that both factions should have a similar sort of treatment, otherwise it looks inconsistent. Unless the narrative is that Iran discovers some alien artefact and is able to break all the sanctions, this level of technological advantage over the USA doesn't seem correct. Even with diminished power I doubt the USA would field their cream of the crop SF troops with 2015 style gear. ::edit::

Edited by r3volution

I have a feeling that the reason for their advanced appearance has to do with the campaign storyline. (It will make sense once we get more details).

However the story plays out, I hope it's not *IRAN IS EVIL KILL THEM*. I hope the storyline is neither NATO or Iran are good guys - and it's just another case of humanity being silly monkeys as a whole.

Edited by SpecOp9

I'd just like them to not have those weirdly shaped helmets with bug eyes, and that AC unit on their back. Makes them look like hunchbacks. Oh, and the strange neck and forward arms armour suite or whatever it is, it just makes them look sci-fi when you take your helmet off.
I actually want those to stay because they make OPFOR look more sci-fi. :D Voted "No they look fine."

we were facing underpowered factions too dam long. at first i was very sceptic about all these future things, but in the end of the day, after trying a3 demo, i can say that it's perfectly fine

we were facing underpowered factions too dam long. at first i was very sceptic about all these future things, but in the end of the day, after trying a3 demo, i can say that it's perfectly fine

Agreed! I like the increased challenge and I've warmed to the Iranian uniforms. I love the look of the Ifrit (especially given it is based on a real world vehicle). I say leave them as is :)

I just want them to reshape the Iranian helmets, remove the bug eyes, the neck armour and the hunchback AC unit, not because I'm "but they is Opfor, they should be turban guys with AKs" but because I want to play as Opfor every now and then, but right now I just feel that the Iranians look so weird and unrealistic (I know, I know, it's the future, but let's face it, Blufor doesn't have any of those weird things) that I don't want to because then I'd have to look at them much for longer periods of time up close. They just feel so de-humanized with all sci-fi things.

I have a feeling that the reason for their advanced appearance has to do with the campaign storyline. (It will make sense once we get more details).

However the story plays out, I hope it's not *IRAN IS EVIL KILL THEM*. I hope the storyline is neither NATO or Iran are good guys - and it's just another case of humanity being silly monkeys as a whole.

Agreed :)

I hope both upfors and blufor will have some futuristic and some non futserictic units in the final game.